2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Bullitt brakes & suspension

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/08, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullitt brakes & suspension

I see that KC has on his hotsheets upgrades to change out the stock GT brake pads and shocks/struts to the OEM Bullitt ones. I'd like to hear comments from people who went from a GT to the Bullitt to see if the braking is significantly better. Also, is the ride with the Bullitt shocks/struts better than the FRPP?

Thanks
Keith
Old 4/2/08, 10:34 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
On average driving any difference in braking is not noticeable although stats might show a slight improvement on 60 - 0 braking distance. As for the ride on the Bullitt, if comfort is what you are referring to the difference is quite noticeable.
Old 4/3/08, 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More Comfortable or less? Just wondering. I have a V6 with GT brakes and I was thinking of getting the bullitt ones. I also want to change out the shock/struts.
Old 4/3/08, 06:16 PM

The ride is very comfortable and seems to be a bit more firm than the GT's but not to the extend of the Ford Racing Handling Package.

I understand the only difference from the GT brakes are the pads, and the rear calipers, which supposedly are the same as those on the GT500.
Old 4/3/08, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
The ride is very comfortable and seems to be a bit more firm than the GT's but not to the extend of the Ford Racing Handling Package.

I understand the only difference from the GT brakes are the pads, and the rear calipers, which supposedly are the same as those on the GT500.
The sad part of it is that if you wanted to order the BULLITT with the FRPP suspension instead Ford wouldn't let you do it. If you insisted they still wouldn't do it just for the cost difference between the BULLITT suspension and the FRPP parts.

I'd rather have the Shelby GT firmer suspension. Absolute waste of money tooling a BULLITT suspension when the FRPP is available on the shelf and already in production (same being said with the GT suspension).
Old 4/4/08, 08:06 AM

So the Bullitt's shocks/struts are a good balance for the road, not to firm and harsh for everyday driving. Are the springs different then the stock GT's springs? Anybody put the Bullitt's shocks in their GT yet?
Old 4/4/08, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL
The sad part of it is that if you wanted to order the BULLITT with the FRPP suspension instead Ford wouldn't let you do it. If you insisted they still wouldn't do it just for the cost difference between the BULLITT suspension and the FRPP parts.

I'd rather have the Shelby GT firmer suspension. Absolute waste of money tooling a BULLITT suspension when the FRPP is available on the shelf and already in production (same being said with the GT suspension).
It is a better setup than the stock GT and does not over step good design limits “Per Ford engineering” that is why they made the improved Bullitt setup.
Old 4/4/08, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I notice no difference with the brakes. The suspension is noticably stiffer and tighter, but still a comfortable ride.
Old 4/4/08, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Too many people criticize the Bullitt before having driven one. Remember that it was built to be a balanced car that could also be competitive at the track and still remain a daily driver too. Ford didn't just slap on some parts and say, "that's good enough". There was a lot of planning and testing that went into all aspects of this car. Of course owners are free to change anything they don't like.
Old 4/4/08, 02:45 PM

The sad part of it is that if you wanted to order the BULLITT with the FRPP suspension instead Ford wouldn't let you do it....
Ford did it right and it is well balanced without the rough ride of a suspension tuned for the track. It has to be one or the other so it might as well be what most buyers want.
Old 4/4/08, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by goesfast
Too many people criticize the Bullitt before having driven one. Remember that it was built to be a balanced car that could also be competitive at the track and still remain a daily driver too. Ford didn't just slap on some parts and say, "that's good enough". There was a lot of planning and testing that went into all aspects of this car. Of course owners are free to change anything they don't like.
Like he said.
Old 4/4/08, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool

Originally Posted by goesfast
ROFL ... How do you know I haven't driven one?

I haven't heard too many Shelby GT owners complain about an imbalance with that suspension.

Ford did a small amount of design specific to the 2008 BULLITT. They also did as much "throw together creation" just to offer an SE and pacify those that were complaining about there not being one offered since 2001. If they had done enough of the RIGHT planning they would've offered bigger engine options.

As far as owners being free to change what they don't like, why would you pay that much of a mark-up on a car that is not what you really want and yet can't get what you want for the amount of money you're spending ... (???)

Bottom line ... beautiful perfect appearance job for a BULLITT, but the performance just doesn't live up to the name.
Old 4/4/08, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom line ... beautiful perfect appearance job for a BULLITT, but the performance just doesn't live up to the name.

DING! DING! WRONG ANSWER!!!! Performance doesn't live up to your opinion of what YOU THINK it should be.

From one Bullitthead to another maybe you should focus more on your 01 Bullitt and less on griping about your perceived shortcomings of the 08's!!!

Some of us are REALLY happy with our cars!!! And anyway the grand-daddy of all Bullitts (as a STOCK Mustang) only had a 325hp motor until Max Balchowski got through with it. And Yes I know that comparing HP numbers doesn't amount to a hill of beans but it gives a general idea of what the car was capable of...

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/68/

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/01/

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/08/bullitt/

Last edited by Martimus; 4/5/08 at 12:04 AM.
Old 4/5/08, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Martimus
... And anyway the grand-daddy of all Bullitts (as a STOCK Mustang) only had a 325hp motor until Max Balchowski got through with it...
Will you provide a complete and itemized list of Max Balchowski's mods? TIA.
Old 4/5/08, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

DING! DING! WRONG ANSWER!!!! Performance doesn't live up to your opinion of what YOU THINK it should be.

From one Bullitthead to another maybe you should focus more on your 01 Bullitt and less on griping about your perceived shortcomings of the 08's!!!
ROFL ... No it aint the wrong answer ... With the amount of them sitting on the lots unsold AND your 2008 being carried over to 2009 it's kinda hard to say the performance is only disappointing to one person.

The 2008 shortcomings aren't perception but real (refer to the sentence above).
Old 4/5/08, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

ROFL ... No it aint the wrong answer ... With the amount of them sitting on the lots unsold AND your 2008 being carried over to 2009 it's kinda hard to say the performance is only disappointing to one person.

The 2008 shortcomings aren't perception but real (refer to the sentence above).
Oh but it IS perception!

While I'm looking at the number of Bullitts sitting on the lot maybe YOU should look at the total number of Mustangs sitting on dealer lots! We're in a really bad economic period dude! That likely contributes more towards cars sitting on lots than your perception of the Bullitt being underpowered!

Last edited by Martimus; 4/5/08 at 08:03 AM.
Old 4/5/08, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Will you provide a complete and itemized list of Max Balchowski's mods? TIA.
A complete and itemized list? Gee George you sure don't ask for much, do you?

http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...r_chase_01.htm

This should entertain ya for a while George! I'm off to a car show to show off 906 and droll over the other Mustangs!!!
Old 4/5/08, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Oh but it IS perception!

While I'm looking at the number of Bullitts sitting on the lot maybe YOU should look at the total number of Mustangs sitting on dealer lots! We're in a really bad economic period dude! That likely contributes more towards cars sitting on lots than your perception of the Bullitt being underpowered!
Already been there and done that ...

And it IS underpowered and too many people agree that it is.
Old 4/5/08, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Already been there and done that ...

And it IS underpowered and too many people agree that it is.

And just as many disagree!!

Given that a stock 08 Bullitt has almost as much HP as the original GT390... and about 40hp MORE than a stock 01 Bullitt, my vote is that you're just griping for the sake of griping. Face it... based on your broad based complaint Ford could have put a bigger powerplant in the Bullitt, the Shelby GT, the Mustang GT, the Mustang V6, and the entire rest of Ford's product line. Well thanks to the economy, CAFE regulations, and the ever increasing cost of gas I suspect it'll be a long while before you see your wet dream come true!

Oh and if you dispute my HP estimates above then go check out the hyperlinks I provided in my last post. My statement is based on the STOCK numbers listed on Brad's timeline for each car.
Old 4/5/08, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs down

And just as many disagree!!

But they ARE NOT SELLING NOW ARE THEY ... (ROFLMAO)

Given that a stock 08 Bullitt has almost as much HP as the original GT390

No it doesn't ... LOL ... It was well-known in the 60(s) that manufacturers understated the HP ratings to beat the corrupt insurance industry. It is well acknowledged nowadays that HP ratings are overstated just to help sell the car in the first place!

my vote is that you're just griping for the sake of griping

My vote is that you're over-hyping something just to over-hype; I guess we're even (but again ... THEY ARE GOING IN TO 2009 JUST TO SELL AS-IS) ...

Face it... based on your broad based complaint Ford could have put a bigger powerplant in the Bullitt, the Shelby GT, the Mustang GT, the Mustang V6, and the entire rest of Ford's product line. Well thanks to the economy, CAFE regulations, and the ever increasing cost of gas I suspect it'll be a long while before you see your wet dream come true!

There are many others who have said if only the bigger engine was offered they would buy the car ... NOW WOULD THAT HELP SALES OR WHAT ???

Also ... thanks to folks that are willing to buy something marginally offered we keep getting stuck with what somebody is willing to settle less for just to have.

Oh and if you dispute my HP estimates above then go check out the hyperlinks I provided in my last post.

I could care less about your HP estimates (key word) I've driven all 3 and I'll stick with what I said.
I guess we can really look forward to a 2008 model in 2009, right ???

Quick Reply: Bullitt brakes & suspension