Special Edition News and Rumor Boss? Mach 1?

Boss 302 returns!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/06, 06:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Boss 302 returns!!!

It appears that Ford is reintroducing the original Boss 302 engine through FRPP in 2007.

And in even more exciting news, Ford will introduce a new Boss 302 Mustang model year 2009!!! The assumption is that it will be powered by a 5.0L mod motor but details are not yet available.
Old 10/31/06, 06:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Here's autoblog's article:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/31/t...ford-boss-302/

and detnews:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...610310352/1148

Apparently the crate engine will have pushrods while the production version will have an overhead cam with variable valve timing.
The first production gig for this engine will be the new F150 in 2008.
Old 10/31/06, 07:26 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford announced at the SEMA show that it is reviving the legendary 5.0-liter 302 cubic inch V-8 engine for the aftermarket with a new line of BOSS 302 crate engines, which will go on sale in early 2007. Making its debut in 1969, the original BOSS 302 powered a limited production Mustang model sold for two years, which was known as the BOSS 302. The car got its name from the legendary engine that powered the Mustang to a Sports Car Club of American Trans-Am series win in 1970.

Old 10/31/06, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad
Here's autoblog's article:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/31/t...ford-boss-302/

and detnews:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...610310352/1148

Apparently the crate engine will have pushrods while the production version will have an overhead cam with variable valve timing.
The first production gig for this engine will be the new F150 in 2008.
Excellent find!!! Ok, so now I need a Boss 302 crate motor for a '69 Boss 302 clone and a new '09 Boss 302 Mustang...man, I'm going to need a bigger garage!!
Old 10/31/06, 07:43 AM
V6 Member

Here is the full text...

Ford revives Boss engine

Rebirth of its legendary V-8 revs up racing, street versions at 340-500 hp in Mustangs and F-150s.

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

The Boss is back.

Ford Motor Co. is reviving its legendary V-8 nameplate with a modern version of the Boss 302, which debuts as a crate engine offering from Ford Racing at the Specialty Equipment Market Association Show today in Las Vegas.

But the Boss name will not be limited to the race track. Ford insiders say it is also the new name for Ford's Hemi-fighting V-8 that had been known internally as the Hurricane. That name lost favor at Ford after Hurricane Katrina and the automaker opted to dust off the popular Boss name.

The original Boss 302 debuted in 1969 under the hood of a limited edition Mustang of the same name. Sources familiar with Ford's product plan say the company is planning a 40th anniversary edition of the pony car for 2009 that will feature a production version of the new Boss engine. But the new motor is expected to make its production debut in the next-generation F-150 pickup, due out in 2008.

Reintroducing the Boss name on a racing engine is a good marketing move, according to analyst Jim Hall of AutoPacific in Southfield. "It builds up hype for the engine beforehand," he said. "They're trying to connect the concept of a crate engine with the production version. It gives you some credibility to talk about the new powertrain."

The 5.0-liter V-8 crate engine will go on sale early next year. It will be available in a variety of configurations with between 340 and 500 horses of power. The base block will start at $1,759, with prices for complete engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000.

"It's designed to withstand the rigors of racing, but is also affordable and streetable," said Jamie Allison, manager of the Ford Racing Performance Group. "It's a new old engine."

Other than the name and the number of cylinders, there will not be a lot of similarity between the Boss 302 crate engine and the production version. While the iron-block crate engine uses old-fashioned push-rod technology, Hall said the production version will be an overhead-cam engine. It is also likely to have variable valve timing to boost fuel economy.

Ford killed the Hurricane program in 2005 because of concerns about development costs and rising gasoline prices. That decision dismayed many analysts who said the company desperately needed a more powerful V-8 to compete with DaimlerChrysler AG's Hemi and General Motors Corp.'s Vortec V-8s. Ford Americas President Mark Fields revived the Hurricane project earlier this year, but later decided to change the name.

Erich Merkle, an analyst with IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids, said that was the right move.

"This is an incredibly important engine for Ford," he said. "If you really want to be competitive in the pickup segment, you better have a good engine. They need it for the Mustang, too. Right now, the Mustang doesn't have any competition out there. But that is going to change."

Fields promised to introduce a new version of the Mustang every year as part of the firm's new "Way Forward" strategy. Next year will see the introduction of the Shelby GT -- a cheaper version of the Shelby GT500 -- and the company has already announced plans to build a Bullitt version in 2008.

Sources familiar with Ford's product plans say, the new Boss Mustang follows in 2009, in time to face a challenge from the new Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger. Ford plans to introduce a completely redesigned Mustang in 2010.

In addition to the special edition Mustang and the F-150 pickup, Merkle expects the Boss to find a home in the Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition SUVs.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old 10/31/06, 07:50 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
FORD RACING BRINGS THE BOSS BACK WITH NEW LINE OF BOSS 302 CRATE ENGINES

• Ford resurrects legendary 5.0-liter V-8 engine with all new Ford Racing BOSS 302.
  • New line of BOSS crate engines are capable of delivering up to 500 horsepower
  • Race ready and affordably priced, starting at $4650
LAS VEGAS, Oct. 31, 2006 - Ford today announced at the SEMA show that it is reviving the legendary 5.0-liter 302 cubic inch V-8 engine for the aftermarket with a new line of BOSS 302 crate engines, which will go on sale in early 2007.

Making its debut in 1969, the original BOSS 302 powered a limited production Mustang model sold for two years, which was known as the BOSS 302. The car got its name from the legendary engine that powered the Mustang to a Sports Car Club of American Trans-Am series win in 1970.

“The original BOSS 302 was a race winning engine. Sharing the DNA from the original BOSS 302, the new BOSS 302 begins with a block designed with racing in mind from the beginning,” said Jamie Allison, manager, Ford Racing Performance Group. “Whether racing in a sealed engine class, building an all-out drag racing engine or looking for a street performer, the BOSS 302 block and engine family meets the needs of all Ford 302 enthusiasts at a price that is comparable to a performance-prepped stock 302.”

The new Ford Racing Performance Parts BOSS 302 line was conceived because there was an unmet need for engines built from a block stronger than original regular production 302 blocks but more affordable than full race-prepped blocks. The new BOSS 302 engine block features greater strength than most race blocks and offers a street-capable cooling system design, something that race specific blocks tend to sacrifice.

Despite its strength and capability, the new BOSS 302 line is surprisingly affordable because of its high volume production. And since it was designed within Ford Motor Company, the engine also benefits from the improved quality and durability that comes with a production type engine.

“The original BOSS 302 delivered less than 300 hp. Today, enthusiasts are making 500 hp street cars and they need a robust block. Race-specific blocks offer the strength required but cool poorly for street use and are very expensive for the average enthusiast,” says Allison.

Built from the all new BOSS 302 block, the BOSS crate engines feature performance and packaging that accommodate displacements from 302 to 363 cubic inches. Entry level engines feature the Ford Racing GT-40X Xtra Performance Turbo Swirl aluminum heads to retain stock exhaust locations and are rated at 340 and 345 hp. Higher performance versions include Ford Racing's “Z”-head equipped 302 and 347 cubic inch engines rated between 360 and 450 hp, depending on configuration. The BOSS engine series is capped by a 500 hp 331 cubic inch engine that showcases the capability of the new block by breathing through all new ported Z-heads.

Features that separate the new BOSS 302 from its competition include:
  • 4-bolt mains for lower-end stability at high power outputs
  • High-tin 41,000 PSI tensile strength iron alloy for ultimate strength
  • Nodular iron main caps for additional strength
  • Screw-in freeze plugs for additional more strength and stability
  • Front cross-over lifter oiling for high RPM valvetrain capability
  • Siamese bores with specifically engineered drillings between cylinders for maximum wall stability and gasket sealing with street capable cooling performance
The suggested retail price for the BOSS 302 block is and affordable $1,759, with BOSS engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000 for the 500 hp BOSS 331 cubic inch engines. The engines come with a 12 month/12,000 mile limited warranty.

Like the original Boss 302 that was engineered for Trans Am racing, the new BOSS 302 features trickle down performance from racing in the American Speed Association (ASA) Late Model circle track series. A sealed circle track version of a 347 cubic inch BOSS engine will be available both for ASA and NASCAR circle track racers in time for the 2007 season.
Debuting in four SEMA display vehicles, four premier car builders placed the new BOSS 302 in their 2006 show vehicles. All the builders chose to use a 302 cubic inch engine, staying true to the original namesake.

Featured builders are:
  • Dan Web – Award-winning hot rod creator is featuring a 390 hp BOSS engine in his 1933 Ford 3-window coupe.
  • Galpin Ford – Known for their “Galpinized” custom creations, they built a “retro-mod” 2007 Mustang featuring a 360 hp BOSS engine.
  • Chip Foose – Created the new “Powered by Ford BOSS 302” from a 1970 Mustang for the show Overhaulin'; public reveal at SEMA.
  • Hotrods and Horsepower – Created the SEMA Deuce, a commemorative vehicle for the 2006 SEMA show featuring a 360 hp BOSS engine.
Old 10/31/06, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thanks, Brad!!
Old 10/31/06, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

OH...my....god. Please be out of my price range!
Old 10/31/06, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
OH...my....god. Please be out of my price range!
although it could just mean that I'll be paying more....

It will be interesting to see the details on the new production Boss engine series (aka Hurricane). One of the most exciting pieces to this is that Ford is stepping up to provide additional firepower for the aftermarket (with the crate engine) and produce a higher HP production engine for both the trucks and hi-po Mustangs. Nice job, Ford!!
Old 10/31/06, 12:56 PM
GT Member

The Boss is back!!:metal :

Woohoo!
Old 10/31/06, 02:04 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SCORE!!!!

I like this. I wonder what the displacements will be on the OHC Boss 302s. Will they actually be 302cid? There also better be some hefty suspension improvements

Also... I have a feeling that the use of one name on both a pushrod AND an OHC motor will get confusing, especially if the crate motor is still the pushrod when the production OHC motors start selling. I wonder if the OHC motors will be available for crate purchase. Also... too bad they're not equipping the cars with the old pushrod motors. That would be interesting to see, and would pave the way for relatively easy pushrod swaps.

The car itself looks magnificent, can't wait to see it in person. Nice going Ford! This is an unusual approach to an SE and motor but heck, I'm not complaining.

Maybe I should save up for a Boss 302.....

...crate motor lol

Edit: Just realized... If I bought the crate motor, and put that in, I actually could call it the "BOSS 3-0-II" hehehe
Old 10/31/06, 06:38 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Y'know what would peg the cool meter, if Ford partnered with Edelbrock or CHI and produced an actual canted valve Boss 302 along with a spiffy air-gap style dual plane manifold for the street and an air-gap single plane for racing.
Old 10/31/06, 09:08 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are pics of the car and engine at the show.

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=100_1338.jpg
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=100_1339.jpg

****, I just noticed the engine pic and last pic are a little blurry. I'll have to re-take them tomorrow.

Anyone have any other requests?
Old 10/31/06, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know call me a kid at christmas but this is just awesome! I think ford is stepping up its game on this and like always theres people hating on the motor. I love it! I can't wait for it and I hope this means there will be a boss production car now!
Old 10/31/06, 09:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jayguy

****, I just noticed the engine pic and last pic are a little blurry. I'll have to re-take them tomorrow.

More angles if possible, thanks! This car looks soo sick.
Old 10/31/06, 09:58 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, I'll get a bunch more pics of this and the other Mustangs in the Ford area tomorrow.
Old 10/31/06, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by bob
Y'know what would peg the cool meter, if Ford partnered with Edelbrock or CHI and produced an actual canted valve Boss 302 along with a spiffy air-gap style dual plane manifold for the street and an air-gap single plane for racing.

I am with you Bob! This Z headed engine is a joke to me. I know its to pump up the BOSS name prior to the release of the upcoming BOSS in 08, But SHEESH! They need to stop comparing this renamed engine to the original!!!

I'm sorry, Ford NEVER built a windsor headed engine worth a poop!
Yes even the 95 Cobra R engine can't hold a candle to the BOSS 351C!

Old 10/31/06, 11:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the original cleveland heads, but the canted valve heads offered by CHI and Edelbrock are really good, CHI's 185cc head flows 290 cfm out of the box, which ain't to shabby!
Old 11/1/06, 06:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay, I have 1 request, but it isn't for a Ford. PLEASE TAKE A SHOT (or 20) OF THE KOENIGSEGG CCX!!!!
Old 11/1/06, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Beautiful!!! Great pics, thanks!!! The Boss is just sick

Quick Reply: Boss 302 returns!!!