Special Edition News and Rumor Boss? Mach 1?

2009 Bullitt ???

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/07, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 Bullitt ???

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.16544" name=GENERATOR>
WHAAAAAAT ... ???

What do Yall think of this ... ???

Click here: Panorama! Mustang Gets Glass Roof Car Reviews - The Car Connection

Old 12/11/07, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I call BS... The bullitt is considered a Ford SE and is only having one run of 7,700 cars. They are releasing a new special edition every year and there is no way they could even produce all SE's accumulated in a few years. 2001 was a one year run, and so will be the 2008. I don't think Ford has the cohones to risk upsetting a lot of people by telling them that it's just available for 2008 then producing more than 7,700 cars...

Korey
Old 12/12/07, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool

Originally Posted by wally05
I call BS... The bullitt is considered a Ford SE and is only having one run of 7,700 cars. They are releasing a new special edition every year and there is no way they could even produce all SE's accumulated in a few years. 2001 was a one year run, and so will be the 2008. I don't think Ford has the cohones to risk upsetting a lot of people by telling them that it's just available for 2008 then producing more than 7,700 cars...

Korey
Personally I don't think they should've serialized the 2008. They should've been poised to offer it each year. If they offer it in 2009 better than what thye've offered in 2008 (namely; a bigger engine option) then it may not be a bad idea. If Ford had offered a 5.4 engine option for 2008 I would've already have one on order, but since they haven't I'm going to wait for the rumored MACH I (unless they offer the BULLITT with the 5.4 eninge, or maybe even a higher-powered 5.0).
Old 12/12/07, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't really see them offering the N/A 5.4L in the GT ever. Maybe a revised v8 for the base GT, but not the 5.4L. Other than whole production line changes in a few years, I think the only powerplant difference you'll see in a stang may be something else for the "BOSS" or "MACH1" if they build them. You won't see a bigger engine in a Bullitt just b/c the car was never meant to be a dragstrip winner, that has been said many times.

Personally, I don't think they would sell many "bullitt" optioned cars if it was just an add-on option to the GT. It's a niche nameplate and probably a small niche at that if you judge from 2001 numbers. Ford did the smart business thing when they offered it as a serialized SE run. Many of the people that are saying it should have been an add-on option to the GT permanently are the same people saying it's just add-on Ford Racing parts. In reality, you could just build your own bullitt using FRPP parts to a point. I'm sure many of the Bullitt-specific performance stuff (suspension/exhaust) will be available through Ford Racing by the end of the Job 2 build. I just don't think DHG would be a very sellable color either.
Old 12/12/07, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is a better version of that article.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...009/index.html
Old 12/22/07, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL
WHAAAAAAT ... ???

What do Yall think of this ... ???

Click here: Panorama! Mustang Gets Glass Roof Car Reviews - The Car Connection

Hey there - just wonding where you saw/read there might be a 2009 Bullitt? Did I miss something in attached article? I'm asking because I'm considering a 2008 Bullitt but would wait if there is a possibility I might be able to get one with a glass roof.
Old 12/23/07, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

A 2009 Bullitt?! Yeah, right. You won't see it. In fact you probably won't see another Bullitt. Ford has too many SE's to choose from now and remember the Bullitt has just started production. Ford has yet to determine whether the model was successful or not. Way too early to tell.
Old 12/29/07, 03:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Hey there - just wonding where you saw/read there might be a 2009 Bullitt? Did I miss something in attached article? I'm asking because I'm considering a 2008 Bullitt but would wait if there is a possibility I might be able to get one with a glass roof.
Install a Glass Roof in your 2008.
www.classicdesignconcepts.com
Old 12/29/07, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Almar!
Old 12/31/07, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wally05
I don't really see them offering the N/A 5.4L in the GT ever. Maybe a revised v8 for the base GT, but not the 5.4L. Other than whole production line changes in a few years, I think the only powerplant difference you'll see in a stang may be something else for the "BOSS" or "MACH1" if they build them. You won't see a bigger engine in a Bullitt just b/c the car was never meant to be a dragstrip winner, that has been said many times.

Personally, I don't think they would sell many "bullitt" optioned cars if it was just an add-on option to the GT. It's a niche nameplate and probably a small niche at that if you judge from 2001 numbers. Ford did the smart business thing when they offered it as a serialized SE run. Many of the people that are saying it should have been an add-on option to the GT permanently are the same people saying it's just add-on Ford Racing parts. In reality, you could just build your own bullitt using FRPP parts to a point. I'm sure many of the Bullitt-specific performance stuff (suspension/exhaust) will be available through Ford Racing by the end of the Job 2 build. I just don't think DHG would be a very sellable color either.
wally05: This posting states the issue eloquently! And as you say, if the Bullitt were to become an add-on option to the Mustang GT, the color choices would have to be expanded beyond just Dark Highland Green and Black--and you're really stretching a Bullitt to include the color Black.

Keep it at 7700 total units this year, and maybe offer a limited-edition Bullitt again a decade or more from now. I think the movie--and the car--will remain iconic even then. I'm not sure the Sean Pitt version of Bullitt will be thrilling audiences a decade from now, but the Steve McQueen version will!

Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 12/31/07, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

it was a typo, should of said this:

In addition to the new Glass Roof Mustang that goes on sale next summer, two other derivatives join the Mustang V-6 and GT in Ford showrooms early in 2008:
<b><big>*</big></b> The Mustang Bullitt returns to the streets four decades after hitting the Big Screen and features the latest inFord Racing Technology. Inspired by the original movie car, this modern classic is designed to deliver a perfect balance of power andperformance for enthusiasts, delivering 315 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. With limited production planned, Bullitt carrieson the Mustang tradition of affordable performance with a $31,075 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.
<b><big>*</big></b> The Shelby GT500KR arrives in time to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the original Shelby Cobra GT500KR, known as "The King of the Road." Building on the strong foundation of the Shelby GT500, the KR features a 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 with a Ford Racing Upgrade Pack and a SVT-tuned suspension. It is estimated to deliver 540 horsepower. The Shelby GT500KR carries forward the spirit of the original car - with 1,000 units planned for production.
The 2009 model year marks Mustang's 45th year. Mustang was first introduced in 1964 at the World's Fair in New York with a price tag of $2,300. Ford sold more than 417,000 Mustangs in its first year.
Old 12/31/07, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eights
and you're really stretching a Bullitt to include the color Black.
Stretching things? I'm not sure I can agree given that Ford offered the 2001 Bullitt in Dark Highland Green, Black, and True Blue. If anything they're sticking closer to the McQueen Bullitt since they dropped one of the three colors offered in 2001.
Old 12/31/07, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

...--and you're really stretching a Bullitt to include the color Black...
That's true from a purist standpoint. I'll take mine in DHG, but I somehow think that the '08 black one is going to have a head-turning impact.
Old 12/31/07, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

wally05: This posting states the issue eloquently! And as you say, if the Bullitt were to become an add-on option to the Mustang GT, the color choices would have to be expanded beyond just Dark Highland Green and Black--and you're really stretching a Bullitt to include the color Black.

Keep it at 7700 total units this year, and maybe offer a limited-edition Bullitt again a decade or more from now. I think the movie--and the car--will remain iconic even then. I'm not sure the Sean Pitt version of Bullitt will be thrilling audiences a decade from now, but the Steve McQueen version will!

Greg "Eights" Ates
Ah, but the 'Bullitt' is a package option on the Mustag GT Premium coupe.
Just the same as the 'California Special' is a package option and the 'Warriors in Pink' is a package option.

Anyting more and it becomes 'special' like the GT500 and dealers can and would 'justify' ADMs.
As it is dealers asking for ADMs aren't gettting them, other than a few claims by a couple of salesmen, most likely to convince the guy standing in front of them that if they want the stores 'second' Bullitt they better pony up now.
Old 1/5/08, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Martimus
Stretching things? I'm not sure I can agree given that Ford offered the 2001 Bullitt in Dark Highland Green, Black, and True Blue. If anything they're sticking closer to the McQueen Bullitt since they dropped one of the three colors offered in 2001.
Martimus: Thank you for the prompt and courteous reply. I see your point--two color choices are less than three! IMO, cutting three to two is better simply because it's more authentic, and offering only DHG would be even more authentic still.

But where you are more right than me is that the new Bullitt is an S197--the mechanical differences of an S197 compared to a '68 GT far, far exceed the differences created by mere paint!!! That being the case, I concede to your logic without any remorse or regrets. Good thinkin' there, Martimus!
Old 1/6/08, 06:37 AM
Cobra Member

Martimus: Thank you for the prompt and courteous reply. I see your point--two color choices are less than three! IMO, cutting three to two is better simply because it's more authentic, and offering only DHG would be even more authentic still.

But where you are more right than me is that the new Bullitt is an S197--the mechanical differences of an S197 compared to a '68 GT far, far exceed the differences created by mere paint!!! That being the case, I concede to your logic without any remorse or regrets. Good thinkin' there, Martimus!
Would I be stepping too far into the abyss Eights to assume that, based on your logic, that the 2001 Mustang Bullitts were also inappropriate (they were only 265HP and really didn't bear much mechanical similarity to the original either)? Hmm... if we extend this logic then the I suppose the 2004 Mach One was inappropriate since it had one engine choice at 305HP while the 1969 Mach One had three engine choices, a 351cid with 2-barrel carb, a 351cid with 4-barrel carb, and a 428cid 4V Cobra Jet with Shaker Hood? Gosh Eights... I feel honored to be set on the right track by you!
Old 1/10/08, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Would I be stepping too far into the abyss Eights to assume that, based on your logic, that the 2001 Mustang Bullitts were also inappropriate (they were only 265HP and really didn't bear much mechanical similarity to the original either)? Hmm... if we extend this logic then the I suppose the 2004 Mach One was inappropriate since it had one engine choice at 305HP while the 1969 Mach One had three engine choices, a 351cid with 2-barrel carb, a 351cid with 4-barrel carb, and a 428cid 4V Cobra Jet with Shaker Hood? Gosh Eights... I feel honored to be set on the right track by you!
Martimus: Thank you for the prompt reply. I urge great caution when extending logic, especially over time--vehicles change quickly even if not substantially. The Bullitt Mustangs are some Bullitt features grafted onto '01 and '08 Mustangs, nothing more.

If you want a Bullitt replica, you find a '68 fastback with a 390 and start from there. Anything else and you have to find another term, like "Bullitt commemorative" or "Bullitt tribute" or yada yada yada--either term would apply to the '01 Bullitts and to the '08 Bullitts. "Replica" has been loosely applied to both, but the operative term here is "loosely"...

Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 1/10/08, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

Eights... I also urge caution when mis-using terms like commemorative or tribute. The 2004 Mustang was considered commemorative since it was the 40th anniversary of the Mustangs introduction to the world. Did the 2004 actually commemorate the original 1964 mustang? Not really! The 2004 stood on its own merits and simply celebrated the 40th "birthday" of the product line.

A long time ago a US Patent Commissioner was mis-quoted as saying that "all things that can be invented have been invented". While there is some truth to this statement it misses the mark. It might be true to say that most things in this world are modeled after something else. It might also be true to say that there are unique elements to most things. Is a 2008 Mustang Bullitt unique? In some ways it most certainly is? Is your modified Mustang GT unique? Yes again. Unique elements of each of these cars aside, both are based on the same design and development so while being different they are also the same.

Does this make one car better than the other? I doubt it! If a stock 2008 Bullitt were to line up with your modified Mustang on a quarter mile track the modifications to your car would likely assure a win. If the Bullitt owner were to modify their car in a similar fashion then your car might not do quite as well. In either case there are so many variables that can/will affect the outcome that its impossible to say without reservation. Bottom line... to paraphrase Shakespeare's "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet" - A Mustang by any other name would still be an AWESOME car!!
Old 1/11/08, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Eights... I also urge caution when mis-using terms like commemorative or tribute. The 2004 Mustang was considered commemorative since it was the 40th anniversary of the Mustangs introduction to the world. Did the 2004 actually commemorate the original 1964 mustang? Not really! The 2004 stood on its own merits and simply celebrated the 40th "birthday" of the product line.

A long time ago a US Patent Commissioner was mis-quoted as saying that "all things that can be invented have been invented". While there is some truth to this statement it misses the mark. It might be true to say that most things in this world are modeled after something else. It might also be true to say that there are unique elements to most things. Is a 2008 Mustang Bullitt unique? In some ways it most certainly is? Is your modified Mustang GT unique? Yes again. Unique elements of each of these cars aside, both are based on the same design and development so while being different they are also the same.

Does this make one car better than the other? I doubt it! If a stock 2008 Bullitt were to line up with your modified Mustang on a quarter mile track the modifications to your car would likely assure a win. If the Bullitt owner were to modify their car in a similar fashion then your car might not do quite as well. In either case there are so many variables that can/will affect the outcome that its impossible to say without reservation. Bottom line... to paraphrase Shakespeare's "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet" - A Mustang by any other name would still be an AWESOME car!!
AMEN!
Old 1/11/08, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

That was an awful lot of words across a fair number of posts to effectually concur: we meant nothing, sorta.