2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Why the hood scoop should be functional!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/06, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the hood scoop should be functional!!

I have a big problem witht he fact that the hood scops on the gt/cs and the new shelby gt are not functional..To anyone who is listening here is why..

Is it impossible in this day and age to manufactuer a hood that works? I piture myself pulling up to a rice burner (with all functioning scoops) in my brand new "badass" mustang gt and my hood is just a tacked on piece of plastic. That goes against all my true muscle car values. It is true that alot of the acoops on the late 60's where is fact fake. But this is the year 2006, i can play every record i have ever known on my ipod in my 65 stang. But can't buy a factory hood with a hole in it...is it that hard to engineer a hood that works. The side sccops are a different story i don't mind those as much. But I will wait to buy a new stang, until they figure out how to make a factory hood that works for real.

How hard is it to cut a hole in a hood (factory).
Old 8/26/06, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not very hard to do I would imagine. You jus need to do it yourself after if it really bothers you. I don't think they have the capacity to add that just yet from the factory.
Old 8/26/06, 02:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with a Shaker hood, functional and a hole in your hood.
Old 8/26/06, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

The point is i am saying why can't we get a factory one..
Old 8/26/06, 04:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think It has to do with Modern air intake technology... In the old days...a scoop that lets air inthe the engine bay from the top would improve airflow beauce of the breather sitting on top of the carb....but now, engines breath out of a box in the fender. So really....the shaker is the only way to fix that....unless you have a setup like the viper. (and thats an up-front air intake) I really dont think it would be that hard to re-work the air intake system to suck out of the middle of the hood....but it would look bad with the hood up...it would be hard to make it look nice I think...
Old 8/27/06, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

good point, a small mod to have a ram air setup would solve that..a air shatf to a breather box, the look could be worked on. like a reverse like the shelby gt-h hood would be cool
Old 8/27/06, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

It can be done people. Just look at the 03/04 mach1's.

I refuse to own a mustang with a fake hood scoop. No exceptions. Ford and Shelby need to get their **** in one bag. They are not listening to the general public imo. How stupid is it to put a fake scoop on anything? Jesus, how stupid are the people that make these decisions? Its a no brainer and now we are here talking about it. What are they thinking Amy?

Dear God, please give us some substance and something to work with. Screw the fake scoops and give us some HP and torque with a ligher weight. Am I alone in my thinking?
Old 8/28/06, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
When I ordered my 2007 GT I didn't for a second consider ordering it with the scoop it comes with as an option. If it's not functional what's the point?????....
Old 8/28/06, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I donit think it is like waving a majic wand and poof a scoop hole is cut in the hood. They must tool up and add machinery for it. Then they would either have ot do it on ALL mustangs or raise the heck out of the price for special order ones. They can barely stay aflot as it is so to add more costs would be highly unlikely.
Old 8/28/06, 06:59 AM

Chevys, can you please refrain from using the LORD's name in vain. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! Good points, by the way.
Old 8/28/06, 08:20 AM

Codeman94 is spot on in his observation that hood scoops, in the guise of the GT falsies or even functioning ones like the Mach I shaker scoop, are really awkward paeans to carbureted '60's-ere performance cars. Functionally, they don't make too much sense. Even if you do make them to work, the solution becomes rather clumsy at best as the Mach I's weird bump on a lump on a hump -- to fit all that contorted ducting -- attest.

At some point, I think this mindless homage to a bygone technology, carburetors, needs to be laid to rest and perhaps more appropriate and functional modern approaches taken. Perhaps something like the Concept Stang's front scoops, which actually seem to function with, not against, the ducting layout of a modern FI motor.

Perhaps better yet would be some hood venting, as it seems a lot of pressure builds up under the bonnet at higher speeds.

As for the side scoops, they really are more artifacts harkening back to the original mid-engine Mustang concept cars. They can, and given the stock Stang's brakes tendancy to fade away under hard track use, be and perhaps ought to be used to vent cooling air to the brakes. But that would be more complex in terms of the cutting and ducting required and not likely from the factory, so we'll probably on see make-believe scoops there.
Old 8/28/06, 08:20 AM

Ooop, double post.
Old 8/28/06, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Get A Shaker!!!

Old 8/28/06, 09:31 AM

Leo, SWEET CAR!!! I must bookmark these mods for my own reference later. I especially like the Ducktail (especially if the Shelby GT comes w/spoiler delete ... that would be perfect). Nice job, man.
Old 8/28/06, 09:34 AM

"objects in mirror are losing" -- classic!
I hadn't seen that one before!
Old 8/28/06, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

The shaker scoop looks great, but doesn't function too well because of the convoluted path the air has to take to get to the intake. The air has to travel from the shaker FORWARD through a tube and dump into the stock airbox at the front left of the car. Then it travels through the stock intake and finally gets ingested. The estimated horsepower gain is 2-3 hp. This is the problem in creating a functional hood scoop in today's Mustangs, everyone wants the hood scoop to be centered on the hood but the intake inlet is on the front left. There's no efficient way to get the air from the scoop to the inlet. And I don't think anyone would want a scoop where it really belongs, perched on the front left edge of the hood or fender!

The fact of the matter is those of you that don't like hood scoops (fake or otherwise) are in the minority, most people find hood scoops to be very cool. Nothing says "hot rod" like a hood scoop, and the bottom line is no one knows whether it's real or not unless you pop the hood.

I'm surprised this same negative energy isn't directed at the trunklid spoilers which also are not functional. Granted the Shelby GT doesn't have one, but the vast majority of Mustangs do and I don't remember reading a single post objecting to that. What's the difference?
Old 8/28/06, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

point taken tres..i was considering the factors, the shelby gt-h hood would be perfect for funtionality..
Old 8/28/06, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Real hood scoop or fake hood scoop doesn't make your car any faster or slower. It's all about owner preference on how they want their car to look.

BTW I don't personally think someone is stupid for adding a fake hood scoop, especially since I have one. I don't care for 20 inch wheels on this car but if someone wants to do that then it's ok with me and I don't think they are stupid. I don't believe Jack Roush is a stupid guy and they put a scoop on the car that has his name on it!
Old 8/29/06, 12:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chevys
It can be done people. Just look at the 03/04 mach1's.

I refuse to own a mustang with a fake hood scoop. No exceptions. Ford and Shelby need to get their **** in one bag. They are not listening to the general public imo. How stupid is it to put a fake scoop on anything? Jesus, how stupid are the people that make these decisions? Its a no brainer and now we are here talking about it. What are they thinking Amy?

Dear God, please give us some substance and something to work with. Screw the fake scoops and give us some HP and torque with a ligher weight. Am I alone in my thinking?
You are entitled to your opinion however I respectfully disagree with you. Ford Motor company added a hood scoop to the 07 model because people wanted it . Alot of folks think it enhances the look of the car, don't care that it is non-functional and there is nothing wrong with that.

Ford does have many problems but I don't think the Mustang is one of them. They've sold a bunch of them and are sure to sell many more. The Mustang is a fine car and we are fortunate that there are so many aftermarket options so that we can modify it to our individual tastes. Would I prefer a functional hood scoop on the Shelby GT? You bet, but it is not enough to stop me from thinking about buying one. I'm not patient enough to wait for the 09 Mach1 (probably equipped with a shaker), maybe you are.
Old 8/29/06, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright

I'm surprised this same negative energy isn't directed at the trunklid spoilers which also are not functional. Granted the Shelby GT doesn't have one, but the vast majority of Mustangs do and I don't remember reading a single post objecting to that. What's the difference?
No spoiler here, for that very reason. BUT, I am thinking, down the road, giving my car a 68ish Mach look on the back end, little ducktail spoiler and the hood mounted one as well (in black), possibly louvers. I also liked the Mustang II Cobra that was in one of the magazines not too long ago. Don't know if the scoop on that one was functional or not...

Now back to our regularly scheduled hood scoop discussion...

Quick Reply: Why the hood scoop should be functional!!