2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

What to do, GT/CS or SGT

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/07, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do, GT/CS or SGT

Its time for a new Mustang and I’ve decided to get a loaded Grabber Orange GT/CS at x-plan price (about $31k) unless I could find a good deal on a Shelby GT. I figured a good deal on a SGT was unlikely but I had to at least try. Well right when I had pretty much resolved to getting a GT/CS I found a no additional option white SGT for invoice, $36,198. Now I’m having a hard time deciding what to do. Any thoughts?
Old 7/27/07, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Take another look at the SGT with the basic interior, then compare it to the GT/CS interior. Are any of those options on the "loaded" GT/CS important to you? Remember that you can pick and choose the FRPP options as mods if needed. Good luck!
Old 7/27/07, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love how the SGT looks.
I think I'd go for the SGT.

GT/CS's aren't that unique, while the SGT is a Shelby.
Interior stuff isn't that important to me in a sports/muscle car.
Old 7/27/07, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am obviously biased as I own a white SGT. I got mine loaded with everything but the nav. There are a few minor issues with the SGT quailty wise, such as the hood scoop and some are having air bubbles in the stripes, or exhaust hitting. But they are working on a fix for the scoop. It lifts off the hood slightly in spots. And the air bubbles and exhaust rattle are easy dealer fixes before you take the car home. I had an 06 Satin SIlver GT before this and loved it. But I always wanted a Shelby and I have no regrets. I love this car and to drive it outs a smile on my face. The only thing I would do different is I would have a super charger installed at Shelby but who is ever happy with how fast it goes??! So if you like the look of the SGT then I say go for it. You only live once!!
Side note: The 08's are available in blue only. If you live in Cali they are doing a Cali only edition of the SGT and my understanding is it is in Grabber Orange. They are making 300 of them. Of course I am sure they dealer will want a "super rare special" price but I thought id let you kow since you mentioned the GO GT you were looking at. Let us know what you decide and dont forget the pics!
Old 7/27/07, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally I don't think the Shelby is worth the extra $$$, but whenever I see one, I can't take my eyes of it and sometimes find myself wishing I had one.

Logic vs. emotion

Nice to know you can't go wrong with either choice!
Old 7/27/07, 05:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Go with the Shelby GT if you can get it at invoice, if you don't mind the snap crackle pop shifter, and if you want to spend some extra cash on replacing the Mickey Mouse double grille, designed exclusively by Shelby Autos.

Old 7/27/07, 05:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shelby!
Old 7/27/07, 06:20 PM

Ahh ?

Hmm?

Well...?

SHELBY!
Old 7/28/07, 05:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by davisinla
Personally I don't think the Shelby is worth the extra $$$, but whenever I see one, I can't take my eyes of it and sometimes find myself wishing I had one.

Same thing here....
Old 7/28/07, 06:21 PM
GT Member

Go with the Shelby!

In the end the CS is just a GT with bling! The Shelby has a lot going for it and looks FAR FAR better with the suspension changes etc. When you see one it just...it looks awesome. Later the CS will be few $$$ more than a GT while the Shelby at least has the potential for more. It's a MUCH better car. As for those that make claims of price there is is thread that points out the specifics and in the end you pay $3000 or so for the Shelby name over buying and having the parts installed. Don't forget with the Shelby the entire thing is 3 years/36,000 from Ford...find that with a mod car!
Old 7/29/07, 03:37 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After thinking about this again, I think this is the answer.

If you have to ask this question, then you should get the GT/CS.
Most people who get a SGT, just gotta have one. It doesn't make financial sense, it's just something you really want. Otherwise, save some money and get the nice and still unique looking GT/CS.
Old 8/5/07, 10:23 AM

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this topic. Last weekend I decided that if I could find a local white SGT w/ IUP, heated seats and sat radio for invoice that I would go ahead and get it instead of the GO GT/CS. After several hours of searching using ford.com I was able to find a dealer with one black and one white SGT. I called them up and they said they were willing to sell at invoice if I came down today. Well to make a long story short, it turns out the white SGT was still on its way to the Shelby plant; the invoice deal was only good on the black SGT. Initially I didn’t closely look over the black SGT before sitting down with the sales manager because I was planning on getting the white SGT and when I found out it wasn’t available yet and I didn’t think to closely look over the black SGT before (against my better judgment) signing for it. When they delivered it I noticed very bad water spots on the stripes but they signed that they would replace the stripes and I drove it home. When I got it home I noted a scratch in the ¼ panel, a dime size paint repair mark on the nose, 6 inch section of the stripe on the nose pealing, someone popped the hood w/o pulling the hood pins which dented the silver rings, along with the fact that the car didn’t have heated seats, I realized that I made a big mistake. On Monday morning I called the sales manager and explained the issues with the car. I then asked if I could bring the car back and order a fully loaded 08 GT/CS, he said, “bring it back.”

SO,… I have ordered a fully loaded 2008 Grabber Orange GT/CS, 5spd w/ spoiler delete.

Sorry for being long winded but I thought some of you would find it interesting.
Old 8/6/07, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Congrads on your purchase! Do you know when you will get her yet? Its too bad the SGT didnt work out but in the end yo have to buy what will make you happy and not everyone else.
Old 8/6/07, 05:51 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta do what makes you happy when you're spending that much money. GT/CS is a nice car. Post pixs when you get her.
Old 8/7/07, 01:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say get what you want, or you'll never be happy with it. Just curious, is this your black SGT?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

It's in Medina, New York, and the story the dealer tells is similar to your own, but with differences. Ad says that it was traded for a white one, has 562 miles and no issues. Maybe they just weren't issues to him? Not a bad price.