2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Rumor: $1000 Gas Guzzler Tax on all Shelbys

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/06, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumor: $1000 Gas Guzzler Tax on all Shelbys

I am guessing that the Shelby GT's City mileage did not get to 17 mpg, instead it got 16 mpg OR Highway mileage went down to 22 mpg due to the shorter gears. Thus Shelby fails EPA standards and thus the price of the Shelby goes up by $1000

What is the Gas Guzzler Tax?
The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS. The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles.

The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).

GAS GUZZLER TAX
Unadjusted MPG (combined)* Tax
at least 22.5 No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 $1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 $1300
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5 $1700
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5 $2100
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5 $2600
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5 $3000
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5 $3700
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5 $4500
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5 $5400
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5 $6400
less than 12.5 $7700

* The combined fuel economy MPG value (55% city, 45% highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year, but it is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide and on this website by the following equation:
(1/(.495/City MPG + .351/Highway MPG)) + .15
Old 12/20/06, 10:51 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the EPA mileage calculations are getting more realistic in 2008, does this mean that more cars will have GGTs?

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...tory?track=rss
Old 12/21/06, 05:57 AM
Bullitt Member

A local dealer here has three Shelbys on the lot with 1300. GGT, so I guess it's not a rumer.
Old 12/21/06, 06:32 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Those are Shelby GT 500s. We are talking about Shelby GTs, which aren't on the lots yet.
Old 12/24/06, 11:57 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,876 Posts
I think 08 GT'S May Be Included in This! Just what Ford Needed as we crave more Horsepower. Well if they can't get around it Embrace it and Give us More H/P!

<TABLE class=content><TBODY><TR><TD class=main_content><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Consumers to See Updated EPA Fuel Economy Estimates for 08 Models
The EPA is changing the way it tests and calculates fuel economy estimates for cars and trucks beginning with the '08 model year. The new calculations, which will appear on the window stickers of new vehicles, are meant to more accurately reflect the fuel economy drivers can expect in real world driving. The fuel economy numbers will be lower for every '08 introduced. Early '08 introductions will carry the old label design, with the new estimated fuel economy numbers. The newly designed labels with the new estimates will appear on vehicles by summer 2007.
Ford has several early '08 models that will arrive in showrooms beginning in January 2008. The Ford Escape, Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner and Mariner Hybrid will all carry the old label design with the newly calculated EPA estimates. Consumers making comparisons need to be aware that '07 and '08 fuel economy estimates are based are different calculations. The new calculations will result in lower estimated fuel economy numbers for '08 models compared to '07 models. That does not mean auto manufacturers are now building the same vehicle with lower fuel economy. Instead, it means the estimates reflect a broader, updated range of real world driving factors.
Longer range, the EPA and the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers have planned consumer efforts to educate the buying public about the changes in the new label designs and new calculations.
Main Messages:
  •  
    • Ford supports the EPA efforts to provide consumers with more useful information
    • New calculations of fuel economy include tests that help better reflect real world driving (e.g. higher highway speeds, use of air conditioning, and the effects of seasonal temperature changes)
    • Individual results for fuel economy will still vary based on driving habits, climate conditions and vehicle maintenance
    • Comparisons should be based on vehicles built in the same model year; although the new calculations will result in lower fuel economy estimates for '08 models, the performance of those vehicles is comparable or better than the '07 models
    • Ford works continuously to improve the fuel economy of all of its vehicles
For more information, check out
www.fueleconomy.gov and www.mpgwillvary.com

Why did the EPA change the way it tests and calculates fuel economy estimates?
The EPA is changing the testing methods and calculations so the estimates will better reflect the fuel economy experienced by the typical driver. The new methods will account for the use of:
  • Air conditioning
  • Driving at high speeds
  • Rapid accelerations
  • Temperature effects
  • Other real-world factors that can affect fuel economy
<TOP>

When does this testing change happen?It will be used on all 2008MY vehicle testing. The Ford Escape and Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner and Mariner Hybrid will be the first 2008MY vehicles in the marketplace with launches in January 2007.
What does this mean to the car shopper?
The window label will display the new 2008 model year fuel economy estimates. In addition, the fuel economy estimates calculated under old methods for this 2008 model will also be displayed on the label in fine print to aid in comparison shopping with other 2007 models.
So fuel economy is lower?
The new estimates are reflecting a broader, updated range of real-world factors and will more closely match the typical driver's actual fuel economy. These updated estimates are about useful information for American consumers.
Is the mileage lower for every car?
The new EPA test procedures are expected to result in lower fuel economy estimates for every new 2008MY car and truck, even if the powertrains have not changed. While the estimates will be lower, performance of the vehicles should be similar to or better than the 2007 models.
<TOP>
How much lower? Give me some examples.
EPA expects the new city estimates, on average, to drop 12 percent and the new highway estimates to drop 8 percent from the old estimates. With the new calculations, fuel economy estimates will be on average 2-4 mpg lower for most vehicles.
What if there are 2007MY vehicles being compared to new 2008MY vehicles?
When comparing vehicles built in different model years, customers need to be aware of the changes made by the EPA. To help compare a 2007MY vehicle against a 2008MY vehicle introduced early in the year, the window label will display 2008 fuel economy ratings as well as the 2007MY estimates. This will apply to 2008 models built before June 2007.
It is important for customers to understand that only the estimates of fuel economy are changing for 2008 models. The actual performance of the 2008 vehicles will be similar to or better than the 2007 models.
Will the fuel economy be different for different people?
Fuel economy will still vary from driver to driver depending on driving habits, vehicle maintenance and road conditions.
<TOP>
Can I be sure these are the actual numbers I can count on in terms of fuel economy?Fuel economy varies from driver to driver even on the same model vehicle. Every driver can maximize fuel economy by:
  • Avoiding quick starts and stops
  • Driving at slower highway speeds
  • Limiting air conditioning use
  • Removing excess weight from the vehicle
  • Properly maintaining the vehicle
Exactly what are the numbers for the 2008 Ford Escape, Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner and Mariner Hybrid?

Testing is not yet completed for the 2008 Escape, Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner and Mariner Hybrid. Customers should see similar excellent mileage performance from the 2008 models as they did from the 2007 models. The vehicles will remain very competitive in their segments.
How will hybrid vehicles, like the Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid, be affected?
The Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid continue to provide great value to customers. Under the revised EPA calculations, vehicles with higher fuel economy estimates, like hybrids and vehicles with small engines, will see a larger decrease in the label estimates between the old and new methods.
How will E85 (FFV) fuel economy numbers be affected?
Fuel economy when operating on ethanol will be lower than when operating on gasoline, primarily because ethanol provides less energy than gasoline. For FFVs, the EPA provides fuel economy estimates for both fuels in their free fuel economy guide, which is available at www.fueleconomy.gov.
Where can I find more information about the new fuel economy estimates?
www.fueleconomy.gov and www.mpgwillvary.com
<TOP>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=1></TD><!--::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Related Links and Related Categories:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::--><TD class=secondary_content><!-- Related Links Include --><!-- Related Categories Include --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::: This is the residual of the navigation conditional table :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::: --><!-- :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::: --><!-- Page Footer --><!-- new footer for V2-->
© Copyright 2006, Ford Motor Company | Rights are granted to the public to download the contents of this web page in electronic or paper form. All other rights are reserved, including the rights to create derivative works and/or other web pages. <!-- Privacy Statement | Printed copies are not controlled
-->
Old 12/24/06, 12:01 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,876 Posts
FYI! Our 427r Roush and Stage 3 Roush have $1000.00 GGT's

KC
Old 12/24/06, 01:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
FYI! Our 427r Roush and Stage 3 Roush have $1000.00 GGT's

KC
you got to pay to play!
Old 12/24/06, 02:53 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I know V10 has indicated that the GGT won't come into play for 08 cars with these lowered EPA mileage numbers (may later), but I still would like to see something official.
Old 1/8/07, 09:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
So much for the crowd mentality that 3.73s and numerically higher rear gears won't affect gas mileage!
Old 1/10/07, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
I know V10 has indicated that the GGT won't come into play for 08 cars with these lowered EPA mileage numbers (may later), but I still would like to see something official.
That makes sense as the actual mileage has not changed, only the way the EPA calculates them has. My guess would be that the GGT would become more & more stringent as the years go by anyway...good times
Old 1/11/07, 12:21 AM
eci
Banned

What's hilarious is people who buy cars with crappy mileage ALREADY pay higher taxes at the pump since they buy more gas. Lame.
Old 1/11/07, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Shame on the gas guzzler tax on the Shelby-GT... My 2003 Mach 1 takes premium fuel 91 octane too- but no gas guzzler tax... I got 25 mpg on my road trip to Dearborn for the Ford 100th birthday bash back in 2003, only negative side was a sore butt after 10 hours or more in the saddle of my Mustang Yeee-Haaaa partner... Randy Anderson
Old 1/11/07, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Randy Anderson
Shame on the gas guzzler tax on the Shelby-GT... My 2003 Mach 1 takes premium fuel 91 octane too- but no gas guzzler tax...Randy Anderson
the 2003-04 Cobra with 390HP also did NOT have the GGT.
Old 1/11/07, 05:06 PM
GT Member

Right you are - Again that the Shelby-GT does - $1,000 down the drain, you can almost understand about the GT500 but not the Shelby-GT it's so close to the regular Mustang GT's engines performance... Randy
Old 1/13/07, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
So much for the crowd mentality that 3.73s and numerically higher rear gears won't affect gas mileage!
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by tifo
Hello Amy,
A few more questions...

Does the Shelby GT come with front seat side-mounted air bags?
Does it come with the 3.73 or the 3.55 axle?
Will it still pass a smog test with the new engine calibration?

Thanks,
~Ray

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Originally Posted by amyb
Hi Ray, the answer is yes, 3.55 and yes! lol

Amy
Looks like the Shelby GT doesn't get the gear change after all. Amy B answers again that the 3:55 is for autos too.

<!-- / message -->
Old 1/13/07, 10:49 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

According to Amy B, the Shelby GT passed the first time it was tested but failed the 2nd test. So the FRP Parts must just put it in the GGT danger zone.
Old 1/15/07, 11:42 PM
GT Member

I just read a Road & Track back issue from July 2006 - in it was a story on the GT500, basically they stated - it is a great car with 500 horsepower, alittle top heavy, getting about 13 mpg city, with a $3,000 gas guzzler hit - tax wise... I guess one should feel lucky only paying a grand on the Shelby-GT? Randy