2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Proud new 2008 SGT owner

Old 6/20/11, 01:52 PM
2&2
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud new 2008 SGT owner

My wife and I just bought and drove our 2008 Shelby GT automatic coupe, with navigation, HID headlights, home to Nebraska from California via PCA/Grand Canyon/Rocky Mountains. What a trip ! I have waited along time to be able to post this. The car is even better than I hoped. Shelby Auto did a perfect job with this package.
Attached Thumbnails Proud new 2008 SGT owner-sizeddsc01880-copy.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 6/20/11, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, it's a great car. One of my all time top 10.

You seem to bare some resemblance to a guy on the TS site.
Old 6/21/11, 08:45 AM
2&2
GT Member

Well so do you socal. Hey, you got to spread the word. I have it in the top five.
Old 6/21/11, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Congrats! I have to agree with your assessment, I just got my 07 a couple weeks ago. I drive it every single chance I get!
Old 6/21/11, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I thought so. Hmmmm..... top five huh? Let me figure this out. Nope, for me it comes up #7. . It's all good. It's definitely one of the best Mustangs ever!
Old 6/21/11, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks sweet, congratulations!
Old 6/21/11, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2&2: Congrats again! Beginning to wonder if you would ever find the perfect one for you? Still remembering that Mustang Show when your bride sat in our GT/CS coupe and just fell in love with the new S-197 design from the get go!! Fun times to be had by all!! CalStang
Old 6/21/11, 01:07 PM
2&2
GT Member

Thanks, all. And CalStang I also remember that day at the Mustang show in Omaha too. That is when I seen how well your California Special and all the new model Mustangs fit in with all the vintage ones, and knew I had to have one. I really thought I would end up with a convertible to replace my wifes Sebring. That would have killed two bird with one stone. But then the new Camaro convertible came out, and she now has that car as a goal. She loves the Mustangs as you could tell, but she is a Chevy girl at heart. I wanted a coupe, and then had to wait for an automatic. I passed on about three nice ones, as the price was more money than I had. I wanted the SGT badly, but also wanted to keep working on my 70 Mach 1. When my old T-bird broke down it was time to get a new car. So now I have to drive the SGT to work. It feels just like driving the 65'fastback to work only safer. Same feel, sound, ride height, and even rattles. Feels like I have been driving it for 40 years.

socal, there is not a new model Mustang I like better than the Shelby SGT. Even the brand new Boss 302. Yes it and others(GT500) are faster in the quarter mile, but they do not look near as good to me, and the fact that Carroll Shelby got his hands on the SGT. So with that said I have to put a 2005-2012 in the top five, and the SGT is it.

The picture taken in Arizona on the ride home from california.
Attached Thumbnails Proud new 2008 SGT owner-resizeddsc02052.jpg  
Old 6/21/11, 01:15 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome!

I took this pic in AZ

my old 08
Old 6/21/11, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Alright, I want to play too

Old 6/22/11, 08:55 AM
2&2
GT Member

I love the view out the front window of a SGT. That vintage hood scoop is awesome. Carroll Shelby got everything right. Keep them coming.
Old 10/13/11, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I just had to respond. Carroll Shelby got everything right? Well, yes, the car looks awesome, and is my favorite version of Shelby since '68, but other than looks, SA didn't do everything right. The scoops were a notorious mistake in material, everything that is supposed to be stainless steel ends up rusting, the hood pin screws corrode the hood, the wheels allow for no brake upgrades at all, there is no spare tire or jack (which is inconvenient when you have a sidewall blowout, I know), and the vinyl stripe material is the cheapest on the planet. The vinyl actually rusts, and no one at Shelby or Ford can decide on what the warranty is, who is responsible for it, or even if they are warrantied at all! Every owner is treated differently, as if depending on the mood of the person approving the warranty work. It's a nightmare to deal with Ford service, everyone considers it a "fake" Shelby, it's never as good as a GT500 to other people, and salesmen refer to it as a GT350.

For some reason, despite all that, I still love the car and prefer it over a GT500. I still sometimes just stare at it and marvel at how the package came together, appearance-wise anyway. It's my baby, but I will not be likely to buy another Ford ever, and definitely not a non-SVT Shelby. Carroll has fallen from my pedestal.
Old 10/31/11, 01:08 PM
2&2
GT Member

Sounds just like 1965 all over again. I love it and that is what Shelby wanted it to be like. All those reasons you mentioned like the vintage 62 cobra scoop, and hood pins are the reason I like it. And Carroll and his boys in Vegas getting their hands on the car is what sets it apart to me. And I still enjoy explaining to people at the show and shines what this car really is. I have had the "its a "fake" comments from a very few people. I know what it is and I know it will be more collectable some day than the SVT Shelbys that did not make the trip to Vegas( KR/SS.ect.). I am glad it is put together like a Mustang and does not look or feel anything like a Lexus . But that is bad if the warranty is not good.
Glad you still like your baby. It was designed by an American Auto legend. It looks so much like the 66' Shelby. I am leaving mine as-is. Just like THE MAN wanted it to look from the factory. And dont feel bad, even Carroll Shelby got mad at Ford.