2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

SGT Ride Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/08, 01:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SGT Ride Quality?

I've been looking through this board and have found a couple of posts about this but nothing really detailed. I'm thinking of getting the FRPP Handling Pack and was wondering how the ride quality is so who better to ask than the SGT owners who already have it. My main concern is the harshness of the ride as I'm not planning on competing so comfort is still important to me. I'm also interested in how well the springs and dampeners work together to ensure a smooth ride. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 11/23/08, 11:07 AM
V6 Member

I also contemplated the FRPP handling pack. I went with the FRPP springs abd Tokoco D specs for the adjustability. I didnt feel I needed the new sway bars and the strut bar doesnt clear the manifold cover so the package wasnt a good deal for me. As far as the ride of mine goes, it rides fine and the steering is more responsive. I am still tweaking the rear shocks for the best ride. This is what I put together for the same money as the FRPP package.

BMR adjustable panhard- Stang Suspension
BMR lower control arm relocation brackets- Stang Suspension
FRPP springs- Stang Suspension
Tokico D specs - Stang Suspension
New upper strut mountsfrom Nino Sport
Strut bar that clears manifold cover from BOI
Old 11/23/08, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for your input. I'm really interested in seeing what people have to say about the FRPP stuff though. I've been able to find a ton on the BMR products and the Tokico Ds but don't see much about the FRPP. No SGT owners want to chime in? Thanks again Ford4me for the reply. Are you using the stock control arms with the relocation bracket?
Old 11/23/08, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

Well, I am not a SGT owner, but I essentially have the same suspension. Figured if it was good enough for Team Shelby, it would be good enough for me. The only difference is mine have the Eibach nameplates and not the FRPP ones .. they are one in the same I am told. I have the Eibach Pro System Plus 35101.680.

I'd invite you take my car for a spin and see what you thought, but I know the distance is too great for that ...

So ... let me say this - there is a notable difference! It is harsher, but not excessive ... regardless, this is subjective. What is OK for one person is not for another. If your a comfort minded person, stick with the stock Ford setup or change out the struts/shocks for better pieces.
Old 11/23/08, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bigjht
Thanks for your input. I'm really interested in seeing what people have to say about the FRPP stuff though. I've been able to find a ton on the BMR products and the Tokico Ds but don't see much about the FRPP. No SGT owners want to chime in? Thanks again Ford4me for the reply. Are you using the stock control arms with the relocation bracket?
I too was concerned before I bought my SGT. When I test drove it, didnt seem all that bad.
However, after having it for a while, its definitly not as "cushy" shall I say as my '06 GT was.
I dont know that I'd want the FRPP for a daily driver, but for pleasure rides, no problem.
Everybodys tolerance for good & bad vary, and if I was 21 again, I wouldnt care at all.

But I also have to say, the handling is so much better, its well worth the loss in comfort. Hope
this helps.
Old 11/23/08, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

Yes I am currently using the stock lower control arms.
Old 11/23/08, 07:13 PM
Cobra Member

I am a SGT owner and am very happy with the Frpp suspension. I have added some more suspension parts to keep me on the ground. However this suspension gives the car that perfect height and I mean perfect. Ride quality doesn't suffer and if you have 20's you will feel more than usual. Other than that, I would highly recommend it and would not change anything.
Old 11/23/08, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Torrence. This past summer I ran my SGT one weekend at a high-performance driving school. My instructor was amazed at the handling of this car on the track! It is a bit more harsh on bumpy roads, but IMO is still fine for daily driving. I would not go bigger than 18" wheels.
Old 11/23/08, 11:32 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I know it's tough to say that something may be fine to one but too harsh for someone else and I know ride quality will be less by lowering and going with stiffer springs and dampeners. I had a 99 GT that I had set up very stiff, which I am trying to keep from going that far on my 08. That being said I'm trying to find the right setup to lower the car but keep a good compromise with handling and comfort, I know, that would be the magic answer for all. Torrance and topoffgt I completely agree with you on the stance. That is one of the main reasons I'm looking this way. Thanks for your input on the ride quality as well.

Others, please chime in with your opinions as well.
Old 11/24/08, 12:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the FRPP pack on my GT and it's definitely firmer than stock; I like this as the car feels planted, not "floaty". Friends with S197 GTs that have been passengers in my car have also noticed how much more controlled the car feels.
It can be harsh if the roads are beaten up/choppy. I find myself changing lanes or looking for ways to straddle rough patches in the road, but most of the roads out here are relatively new and well-taken-care-of, so it's not a big deal.
The ride height is a great improvement over stock, and gives the car a nice forward rake--just watch it over large speedbumps. I slow down to a crawl for these.
I track the car usually one weekend a month, it handles great and surprises quite a few people. It's a well-engineered pack that won't leave you wondering if you managed to get the shock damping right for the springs you're running, if you put a custom kit together.
Old 11/25/08, 09:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
It's a well-engineered pack that won't leave you wondering if you managed to get the shock damping right for the springs you're running, if you put a custom kit together.
Thanks for the input. This is a question I've been toying with as well.

Does anyone know the spring rates of the FRPP springs?
Old 11/27/08, 01:40 AM
GT Member

Sorry about lack of response but have not logged in a while. It is a stiffer ride but by no means uncomfortable and the car really hugs the road. The FRPP suspension upgrades are really what makes the SGT such a great handling car.
Old 11/28/08, 09:17 PM
V6 Member

Thanks everyone, keep them coming. I do have another question though. Do the SGTs have a different upper control arm that is a different length than the regular GT to change the pinion angle due to the car being lowered? If not do any of you have vibration issues at higher speeds?
Old 11/29/08, 05:37 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would describe it this way. It's ok for short commutes, but it would not be my choice for a long trip. It's firm but not harsh. Harsh to me is bone jarring. I still have the factory 18" wheel/tire combo, so if have a lower profile setup it will be even more firm. I don't really notice the ride (short trips) when riding by myself. It's only when my wife is in the car that I become more aware of the firm ride. Plus it's less firm than my 96GT so it's an improvement for me.
Old 11/29/08, 07:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks everyone, keep them coming. I do have another question though. Do the SGTs have a different upper control arm that is a different length than the regular GT to change the pinion angle due to the car being lowered? If not do any of you have vibration issues at higher speeds?
Um....

There is no vibration at 155mph
Old 11/29/08, 09:06 PM

The rear suspension pkg. consists of springs, struts & sway bar. Upper & lower arms are the same
as any GT. The amount of pinion angle change is minimal IMO, certainly not enough to create
problems under normal driving conditions. As far as vibrations, none here.
Old 11/30/08, 09:44 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by lci1
The rear suspension pkg. consists of springs, struts & sway bar. Upper & lower arms are the same
as any GT. The amount of pinion angle change is minimal IMO, certainly not enough to create
problems under normal driving conditions. As far as vibrations, none here.
That's what I was thinking but I started reading a pinion angle thread and people were having issues with smaller drops so it made me curious about the SGT.
Old 11/30/08, 09:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
I would describe it this way...It's firm but not harsh. Harsh to me is bone jarring...Plus it's less firm than my 96GT so it's an improvement for me.
Good description and I'm pretty sure it will be less firm than my 99GT as well so I'm pretty sure this is the way I'm going to go. Firm wouldn't bother me, but bone jarring will. Thanks.
Old 12/1/08, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can do better than the FRPP dampers. What's more you can get a better ride and be able to do some fine tuning to the feel and damping if you step up to better dampers. How do I know? I've been there and done it. In fact I can pretty much assure you that I've been on more setups and combinations than probably anyone else here.

D-specs are ok, but aren't the greatest long term quality wise, and aren't quite as composed as the Koni's. I used to run D-specs, and changed to Koni's both on the the SGT and my personal Mustang GT.

Shocks are the key to a car's suspension giving a "feel". They are more critical than any other single part under there.
Old 12/4/08, 09:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
You can do better than the FRPP dampers. What's more you can get a better ride and be able to do some fine tuning to the feel and damping if you step up to better dampers. How do I know? I've been there and done it. In fact I can pretty much assure you that I've been on more setups and combinations than probably anyone else here.

D-specs are ok, but aren't the greatest long term quality wise, and aren't quite as composed as the Koni's. I used to run D-specs, and changed to Koni's both on the the SGT and my personal Mustang GT.

Shocks are the key to a car's suspension giving a "feel". They are more critical than any other single part under there.

The Konis are adjustable aren't they? Will they be harsher than the FRPP and where is the best place to buy them? Thanks.

Quick Reply: SGT Ride Quality?