2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang
View Poll Results: What do you think of this idea?
I would not have an interest in pictures
4.55%
Maybe I would want a picture
0%
I think this is a good idea
22.73%
Ford please do this, what a great idea!
72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Pictures of your car being built

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/07, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of your car being built

I have been involved in marketing all my life. This one is for Ford for free. Place a camera on the assembly line as the car is rolling off. The type you see at amusement parks on the roller coaster rides. As the car reaches a pre determined point it trips the camera and flashes a picture of the car coming off the line. You as the customer then can go to a web page and order the picture. This can be offered for a price. Since it is digital the cost is minimum for Ford and the customer can get the picture of there car that they can find by the last 8 of a vin number. After say 90 days they come off the site. The pictures purchased will provide the dollars to more than cover the cost of the camera and web page. Once this is rolling they could even add a few more cameras at different points along the assembly line and you could purchase a few pictures of the build. Dealers could even provide these as a perk to there customers. Since the cameras are fixed Ford can make sure they are pointed in a location that is not giving away and company secrets. This could be done for very little cost and would be appreciated by many customers. Maybe all lines would not have an interest but I know the Mustang line would. There you have it my gift to Ford. The company that has brought me pleasure over many years with great products.
Old 4/19/07, 08:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Having sold cars before, I know the average customer doesn't give a Darn about this.
I think it is a great idea for nuts like us.
It is not worth the trouble and cheap cost for Ford to do this.
Witness how hard it can be just to get a sticker for an ordered car.
Ford will not do this.
Great idea though.
Old 4/20/07, 07:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think that's a great idea. I would have paid to have a few pics of mine being assembled.
Old 4/20/07, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, I too would gladly pay a few bucks for "See It Built" pics.

Unfortunately, I can't see this happening at Ford. Besides a few crazed Mustang enthusiasts like us, I'll bet most Mustang buyers really wouldn't care, and no other model would generate that kind of interest. ("See your Crown Vic being built!" I can't picture it. )

I mean, how many people do you think even save their window sticker? Not many, I'd bet.
Old 4/21/07, 10:53 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
The bean counters' response:

" You say you want...

...pics...

... and, from the assembly line?"

Old 4/21/07, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
Personally, I too would gladly pay a few bucks for "See It Built" pics.

Unfortunately, I can't see this happening at Ford. Besides a few crazed Mustang enthusiasts like us, I'll bet most Mustang buyers really wouldn't care, and no other model would generate that kind of interest. ("See your Crown Vic being built!" I can't picture it. )

I mean, how many people do you think even save their window sticker? Not many, I'd bet.
I would agree with you and mentioned there would only be a few cars that could be considered. However the ones that would want it are "auto enthusiasts" and they are loyal and buy frequently. They also talk cars more often and would spread the word among other consumers.
Old 4/21/07, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by upstate
I would agree with you and mentioned there would only be a few cars that could be considered. However the ones that would want it are "auto enthusiasts" and they are loyal and buy frequently. They also talk cars more often and would spread the word among other consumers.
Yeah, I "spread the word among consumers" as often as possible.
Their eyes tend to glaze over rapidly and they drift off the subject of cars and start talking about American Idol or something just as important.
Old 4/21/07, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I talk to many and most will share a story that they are car enthusiasts at heart. I'm always talking about cars as National chair of SEMA legislative caucus. Cars and the hobby is a great activity. And those that restore classic and antique cars are preserving American history.
Old 4/21/07, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by upstate
I talk to many and most will share a story that they are car enthusiasts at heart. I'm always talking about cars as National chair of SEMA legislative caucus. Cars and the hobby is a great activity. And those that restore classic and antique cars are preserving American history.
You have a wonderful idea that I would take advantage of in a heartbeat.
But...
You need to get out of the stratosphere and go down in the trenches for a year or more.
The average car buyer will turn around and say,"If you can't beat the other guy's price I don't care if you take a picture of the supreme being kissing my car".
I want you to advocate this, but understand the reality.