2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Official Release and Pix!

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/06, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see I'm in the minority here, but IMO the white/silver stripe combo looks pretty **** good. I like it.
Old 8/14/06, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
4. I have to agree with you abou the plate on the dash but it is tradition to place it on the dash.
Where did the tradition start ?

I dont remember seeing them on the dash of the original Gt 350s or the later GT 350/GT500s...

None here:

None here:

None here:

None here:

I know the dash badges were available but I wouldnt call it a tradition...

LB
Old 8/14/06, 10:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I really like it, but with base price of $35,000 Ford is not going to sell many of them. Heck, Shelby GT500 have MSRP of only $5,000 more.
Old 8/15/06, 06:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by USMC_LB
Where did the tradition start ?

I dont remember seeing them on the dash of the original Gt 350s or the later GT 350/GT500s...

I know the dash badges were available but I wouldnt call it a tradition...

LB
Yer right... I was thinking of something else maybe and it does look dorky in the middle of the dash board... Kinda like "look at me... I'm the real thing"!!!!
Old 8/15/06, 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
I really like it, but with base price of $35,000 Ford is not going to sell many of them. Heck, Shelby GT500 have MSRP of only $5,000 more.
1. They are not looking to sell many of them. My take on this whole thing is that it is a make nice, nice with the dealers by giving them another limited edition, high demand (= $$$ over msrp) car to sell.
2. More like $7,000 and a $1300 gas guzzler tax.
3. Amazing huh? And for that $8300 you get a supercharged 5.4L engine, 175 horsepower, a 6 speed tranny and upgraded brakes.

Yeah... $35,000 for that? I guess you cost justify it by saying
1. GT/CS 1800 over stock,
2. the Hurst shifter will run you $200
3. the FRRP Power Pack will run you $820
4. well equipped GT $29,000
5. Striping for $200
6. a suspension will cost you $1100,
= 33120 if I did it myself... the question I got to ask myself is the badging, warranty (if it comes with a factory one) and Shelby "authentication" worth the extra money?
It would come in cheaper if I didn't go for the GT/CS package and just bought the front fascia as you can't order a GT/CS with a spoiler delete.
The answer is no, I can't even afford a base Deluxe right now.
Old 8/15/06, 06:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Totally agree with Piper. I could get all the Shelby "upgrades" for less. Plus I'd still retain the current Mustang looks that I like. So I'd save on the shifter and stripes!

They shoulda had the Shelby be between the Cobra and "vanilla" Mustang. Unless, of course, they're filling that with a Boss or Mach 1.
Old 8/15/06, 07:12 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you watch that latest episode of the Bold Moves video, the main reason for this car is to get it out there and deliver it quickly in DIRECT response to people ASKING FOR IT. People saw the GT-H, Ford gets inundated with requests and calls from people who want to buy THAT car.

So instead of staying locked into the usual corpoate car developement scheme they have done for years and spend a few years getting the thing together as an official project done on the assembly line, they did what people thought they couldn't do - people asked for a regular sales version a month ago and a month later they announce that they will give it to them thanks to using the same plan Shelby did 40 years ago.

I applaud them trying to think outside the box that has trapped them into the state that the company is in right now.
Old 8/15/06, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

HERE HERE BURKE!!! I am thinking the exact same thing. From the first reports/photos of this car I was un-impressed, but the more I see, read, and compare it to the '65-66 Shelby's, the more and more I like. I would pay 35K for this car and what performance upgrades you receive, and the name Shelby on the car (IT IS A REAL SHELBY in my opinion). Yes, I would have liked more color options, but for a base Shelby Mustang model, it is very nice. Man I really like the white w/ silver. Very understated, clean sharp looking MUSTANG. I still feel like this car will go close to 40K when it is all said and done (MSRP at 35K plus AT LEAST 5K for dealer mark-ups).
Old 8/16/06, 11:09 PM

Cool put a 5.4 in it

I think its great that Ford is making the Shelby GT, but a regular unblown 5.4 might work better. Sell that for 35k and everyone would be happy.

Old 8/17/06, 11:07 AM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 718574" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Scothew</TD><TD class=alt2>So it says it has a shorter rear end ratio.. what gearset, 3.55, 3.73's or heaven forbid, 4.10's???</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Yesterday 10:49 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I would it would be the 3.73's - the GT comes with 3.55 stock. 4.10's would be a stretch out of the factory although the old SS Impala 409/427's had 4.56 out of the factory.
Actually the 3:55 is an option in the Mustang GT and only in Manual, you can't get it for automatics. 3:55 is what the Gt-H was upgraded to, the standard Mustang GT's come with a 3:31 I believe.

Amy
Old 8/19/06, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Overall, I think it is very nicely done car. I hate the fake hood scoop. I thought Ford was done with fake scoops with the 99-04 Gt mustangs. Guess some things never change. The hood off the the shelby hertz would be much nicer imo and give the car a much more distinct stance.

I have 2 major gripes. First is the price that is being kicked around. At 35K, I think I will pass. Second, where is the power? 25 extra horses with the Shelby name on it? Give me a break. Its just a Gt mustang with a handling pack, stripes, and a few extra goodies that most people will do anyway. Not worth it imo.

Mustangers want substance and not names. It would be cool to have both dont get me wrong. This car needs a 5.4 in a big way with around 375 hp. People will line up to buy them but Ford is going to have up the annie under the hood. Some will say that Hp does not sell cars and thats true to a degree but I would hate like heck to pull up to 400 hp LS2 knowing that Im probably not going to be competitive in the lastest special edition mustang. This car needs more power. Its just a warmed over GT in my mind at this point with a lot of nice touchs in the suspension department.

In reguards to the pricing again. This car as well as the gt500 will drop like a rock after a year or so. Its been proven time and time again. Anybody remember the 03/04 Cobras and 03/04 Mach1's. History will repeat itself again Im sure.

I certainly applaud the effort by Ford and Shelby but guys we have got to have more power under the hood. Its a great looking car less the fake hood scoop.
Old 8/19/06, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I also want say a huge thanks to Amy for joining in on the discussion of the Shelby GT. It takes a lot of guts to take the critisism that a lot of us dish out. If you mess us the new Ford 500 its not that big of a deal. I remember one time that John Colletti said he was dead serious about his job as part of the svt team. He said Mustangers were so passionate about the car he was afraid he would screw it up and somebody might come to his house.
Old 8/19/06, 09:37 PM

chevy's:

Really agree with all of your well thought out comments on those last 2 posts!

1. Thank you Amy B. from SA for having the guts and intelligence to consider all that is being said on this site, and responding. The people here are probably your "target market". Your (and SA's) ability and I say intellegence to respond to forum input (changing the fender badging for example) is unique in the automotive world.

Thank You!

2. As I have posted on other parts of the forum - i'll try to make it even more brief here...

Thank you for making the car! Period. How ever it turns out.

Love the "H" hood, the fake scoop "new" hood not so much. Inboard "fog" lights would be a very cool option! (a la early 67 Shelbys).

Lack of color choices is a downer.

Options to include a supercharger - YES!

Can we have more brakes too! The car really needs it after my ride in an "H"

Will the stock tranny handle S/C power without wearing out?

The way the car sits, looks (stance) and handles is perfect!

Price it right (i.e. no more than 32-33K, or it really bumps into GT500 territory which has tons more mods included in its price) and have some of those very stylish Shelby wheels as an option.

3. On another note - lot's of comments about putting the 5.4 in this car. I don't believe I like this idea from a weight stand point (or cost for that matter!). However, I don't know the weight difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 - DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE WEIGHTS OF EACH RESPECTIVE ENGINE? Is one really a small block versus the other being really a big block? I've always liked a more balanced car, than a stop light dragster that can't turn. I mean isn't the 5.4 (iron block & alum heads) the reason the GT500 is so **** heavy?

Just one man's humble opinion from a 33 year SAAC member and Mustang nut.

Your take ladies and gentlemen...?
Old 8/20/06, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

John, Im not sure how much more the 5.4 would weigh but the obvious is to have an all aluminum block 5.4. The GT500 has a iron block and I would guess that it comes with a 75 lb weight penalty. But, that would cost more money.

Im in kinda late on the Shelby Gt threads so is a blower going to be an option? Im complaining about the price but with a blower I could change my tune.
Old 8/20/06, 09:47 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

According to AmyB (President of Shelby autos), a blower will be an option
Old 8/20/06, 04:16 PM

afblue & chevy's.....

Aluminum block 5.4 - absolutely, but again the cost factor?

supercharger option - absolutely - but again the cost factor?
Let's say the super charger option was 5-6K (that's what they cost retail from vortech etc), then as per the "advertized price" of 35K for the GT - add a S/C for 6K = 41K for a retail GT. Ouch, as a GT500 is 41K retail with a S/C, real Brembos, tons of body work, dohc 5.4 (albeit iron block)
6 sp beefed up tranny, etc, etc.

If the MSRP for the GT is 32K however, and the S/C is "only" 5K, well then one is at 37K (i.e.) 4 grand below the GT500 - at this price it might make sense, although barely, when the other goodies such as brakes, tranny, motor, etc are included on the 500. Yet, I for one will like the light weight part of the deal, as I think a S/C will only add about 80lbs to the GT.

Also begs the question as to how much power a S/C version of the 4.6 will put out? Vortech lists "as high as" 462hp, but that's w/a pretty high boost pressure and an intercooler I think.

Amy B - any input? (if you're out there...)
Old 8/20/06, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, I would rather have a N/A 5.4 with 4V heads of course that would make an honest 375-400 hp. I mean how much more could that engine cost over the 3v 4.6? Some Im sure but nowhere near what a blower would cost. Seems like Ford is always short on cubic inches. I mean even back in the fox body days I always thought a 351 should have been offered as an option to the 302.
Old 8/20/06, 06:03 PM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by john351
afblue & chevy's.....

Aluminum block 5.4 - absolutely, but again the cost factor?

supercharger option - absolutely - but again the cost factor?
Let's say the super charger option was 5-6K (that's what they cost retail from vortech etc), then as per the "advertized price" of 35K for the GT - add a S/C for 6K = 41K for a retail GT. Ouch, as a GT500 is 41K retail with a S/C, real Brembos, tons of body work, dohc 5.4 (albeit iron block)
6 sp beefed up tranny, etc, etc.

If the MSRP for the GT is 32K however, and the S/C is "only" 5K, well then one is at 37K (i.e.) 4 grand below the GT500 - at this price it might make sense, although barely, when the other goodies such as brakes, tranny, motor, etc are included on the 500. Yet, I for one will like the light weight part of the deal, as I think a S/C will only add about 80lbs to the GT.

Also begs the question as to how much power a S/C version of the 4.6 will put out? Vortech lists "as high as" 462hp, but that's w/a pretty high boost pressure and an intercooler I think.

Amy B - any input? (if you're out there...)

humm, well, I don't have anything concrete, I will check, but we did put a Paxton SC on the WCC Mustang and I wastold 500 HP. might be mistaken, will have to check.

Amy

PS - on the price, I am sorry this seems so much, but it is impossible to do it any less, the other makes sell their entry level cars for over 40K and there are no power upgrades, 3 kits from FRP and all the body mods and labor, can not be had for under35K. wish it could.

Amy
Old 8/20/06, 08:57 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I guess jacostang's and other sources saying it was going to be $32-33K were incorrect
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...7&postcount=17
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...0&postcount=21
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...ndpost&p=35173

That's too bad. I was hoping for a pleasant surprise.

And now I read this on stangsunleashed. Dealer already planning on $10-15K markup on Shelby GT
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...ndpost&p=35965
Old 8/20/06, 09:59 PM

Amy B.

Thank you for responding. Thanks for taking to time to read through all of the Mustang/Shelby nut comments and searching thru the threads.

IMHO you are a classy lady who is well spoken and straight forward.

Looking forward to the Shelby GT very much, and hoping that I can afford one.

Thank you for the S/C hp estimate. I guess we'll all have to wait and see
final numbers for all sorts of things, power, price, options etc.

We're just an impatient bunch 'cause we're so excited!

Quick Reply: Official Release and Pix!