2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

It's Here!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/06 | 04:05 PM

Back to the basics, clean sleek and the Shelby name. Remember how much they were modified for race. I agree with you. As long as its AFFORDABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8/9/06 | 04:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Amy...Amy? Where are you?

Guess all these negative gripsters scared her off.

Which is as it should be. Too many choice limitations, fake bits, and underwhelming styling elements characterize this car. The color limitations, fake hood scoop and inability to order the car with Ford's '07 package upgrades are all deal breakers, at least for me.

It just isn't worth the bother and it all leads me to think that Shelby Automotive doesn't really understand the current Mustang community or their enthusiast base.

I'd MUCH rather order a FULLY loaded GT, slap some 255 tires on the fanblades, and add the FRPP peformance upgrades behind the scenes.
Shelby doesnt understand the current Mustang community? I think we've been the same for the past 40 years. We love handling, power, creature comforts, strip potential, auto x potential, all wrapped into the same car.

Now we're into the retro thing more than ever. So who better to turn to than Shelby? I admit, this car kinda sucks. But lets wait and see whats coming down the pipe line. This is the man who made a 520HP Mustang 40 years ago. Which is what all of you want to see, a high horsepower halo car.

The GT350 was never the top dog. It was the affordable (somewhat) special Mustang. This is basically todays GT350, just without the name.
Old 8/9/06 | 04:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Amy...Amy? Where are you?

Guess all these negative gripsters scared her off.

Which is as it should be. Too many choice limitations, fake bits, and underwhelming styling elements characterize this car. The color limitations, fake hood scoop and inability to order the car with Ford's '07 package upgrades are all deal breakers, at least for me.

It just isn't worth the bother and it all leads me to think that Shelby Automotive doesn't really understand the current Mustang community or their enthusiast base.

I'd MUCH rather order a FULLY loaded GT, slap some 255 tires on the fanblades, and add the FRPP peformance upgrades behind the scenes.
She's been posting alot in this thread and she responds directly to some of the criticism.
Old 8/9/06 | 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by daleksarewimps
The GT350 was never the top dog. It was the affordable (somewhat) special Mustang. This is basically todays GT350, just without the name.
I think you hit the nail on the head... The original '65 GT350 was basically a Mustang with some basic bolt-on performance parts (which were supposed to have given about a 30 hp increase), some suspension tuning ,and stripes. That's exactly the same formula this new Shelby GT uses.

They are basically offering the GT350 all over again and people are complaining?

I understand it's not for the hands-on gearheads who like to modify their cars themselves, but it is cool that you can get the performance packs preinstalled on a brand new car, don't you think?
Old 8/9/06 | 06:00 PM
President of Shelby Autos

Shelby doesnt understand the current Mustang community? I think we've been the same for the past 40 years. We love handling, power, creature comforts, strip potential, auto x potential, all wrapped into the same car.

Now we're into the retro thing more than ever. So who better to turn to than Shelby? I admit, this car kinda sucks. But lets wait and see whats coming down the pipe line. This is the man who made a 520HP Mustang 40 years ago. Which is what all of you want to see, a high horsepower halo car.

First of all, it would help if all Shelby GT stays in one thread, this way I can answer them all and not miss any. I have been answering the other thread, the larger one.

Secondly, I completely understand the Mustang community. This car is not meant to be the be all catch all Shelby, it is the entry level Shelby. The "I want a cool car, with a cool sound , with a nice look, that I can afford Shelby" Not everyone wants 400Hp, or a 40K price tag. We are also forging a relationship with Ford, a Big slow company with enough passion for 1000 shelby companies.

We will do, what we feel is right for the company, if it doesnt work, the sales will tell us. If you want me to leave, just ask, but the negative talk doesnt frighten me. The short sightedness does. Its very easy to second guess the Manager when your watching on TV

AMy
Old 8/9/06 | 07:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by amyb
First of all, it would help if all Shelby GT stays in one thread, this way I can answer them all and not miss any. I have been answering the other thread, the larger one.

Secondly, I completely understand the Mustang community. This car is not meant to be the be all catch all Shelby, it is the entry level Shelby. The "I want a cool car, with a cool sound , with a nice look, that I can afford Shelby" Not everyone wants 400Hp, or a 40K price tag. We are also forging a relationship with Ford, a Big slow company with enough passion for 1000 shelby companies.

We will do, what we feel is right for the company, if it doesnt work, the sales will tell us. If you want me to leave, just ask, but the negative talk doesnt frighten me. The short sightedness does. Its very easy to second guess the Manager when your watching on TV

AMy
I know you understand the Mustang community. I was pointing out to the other guy that we havent really changed.

I dont want you to leave. I dont think any other president of a company would come to message boards and read the b****ing that comes along with a new product. I thank you for that and appreciate what you are doing.

People just expected more. Over the past few years since Gone in 60 Seconds came out, people have had the image of Shelby cars as the ultimate bad-a** cars with killer looks and speed to match. The new GT500 doesnt help with that image either. They've all forgotten that the first GT350 was just a normal 289 Mustang with some hot rod parts and only 30 more HP. Which is what the Shelby GT is.

Give us details on a 650HP GT500KR and you'll see how many people will be kissing your feet.
Old 8/9/06 | 07:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
They are basically offering the GT350 all over again and people are complaining?
Times have changed man. Back then, there weren't many choices of modifications you can do, besides the Cobra kits by Ford, and that was for regular Mustangs only.

As they say, "If life gives you lemons, learn to make apple juice "... hold on, that's not right. "If life gives you lemons, learn how to make lemonade" There; that's better.

So my point is, if Ford (or in this case Shelby) gives you an affordable Mustang with more HP than a GT and more attractive, except the stripe combo, then make with what you have, after all, there are less mods you have to worry about
Old 8/9/06 | 08:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Amy, don't take it the wrong way. We want you in the forums.
Look, I'll tell you by experience.
One time, when I asked for opinions and later I started attacking the members's opinion's (not that you're doing it) Korinwoodo told me that if I was asking for opinions, I should respect them, because that's what they are, opinions.

No hard feelings?
Old 8/9/06 | 09:12 PM
V6 Member

If you want me to leave, just ask, but the negative talk doesnt frighten me. The short sightedness does. Its very easy to second guess the Manager when your watching on TV

AMy
No ma'am, we definitely do not want you to leave. Please let me take the time and thank you for posting here.

I just think that everyone was expecting the Shelby-GT to be more Shelby than Mustang GT. I now see what the Shelby-GT is. An affordable car for the masses.

Can you give us a ballpark figure on when the GT 350 might be released ?

Thank you for your time spent here on our forum as well as taking the time answering emails.

Sincerely, Tim Duncan
Old 8/9/06 | 09:57 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

This is good... no make that very good! The interest has been shifted away from the GT500.

Sorry, dealers.

Old 8/9/06 | 10:02 PM
GT Member

eh, i can live without that. a new Boss would be what gets me clean the couch for spare change.
Old 8/9/06 | 10:24 PM
Closet American

AMy
Not meaning to be offensive in any way. More like "tough love." I merely suggest that you read what the majority of posters here are saying and take it to heart. Near as I can determine, they're not slayed by this offering.

I think most people here consider the Shelby name with quite a bit of reverence when it comes to Mustangs, and automatically expect a lot from the legend. If this car is an entry-level model that's fine, but I think too many Shelbys coming out over a span of a few short years diminishes the namesake somewhat.

I stand by my conviction that the car might get a more favorable response if it had adhered more closely to the actual Hertz car. I mean, why no black and gold...? Why is the Hertz hood acceptable for rental, but not for purchase in "standard" configuration?

I also think that many, many people here are pissed about the price gouging taking place in most Ford dealerships when it comes to the GT500. They recognize that if the car had merely been an SVT Cobra, that it would only fetch MSRP, in all likelihood. They feel burned and betrayed because the Shelby name has been slapped on a car that was completely designed and built by Ford...not Shelby Automotive - and which is worth MSRP, but frankly not a penny more from a content and performance standpoint.

I can't begin to tell you the number of threads I've read on these boards over the past year in which a good number of members (particularly the younger ones) b*tched and whined about how the Shelby name was driving up the prices on the GT500; how they didn't really remember or respect Carroll Shelby anyway; and how now they would have to look elsewhere, or wait for Ford to build a high-performance Mustang for them. They felt a bit betrayed that they couldn't have "their" SVT Cobra at a reasonable price because Ford was going on a nostalgia kick to squeeze as much money out of baby boomers as possible.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Carroll Shelby and I think it's great that he is back making Mustangs again. I only ask that you keep all these things in mind.
Old 8/9/06 | 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Of course more hp and a handling upgrade are welcome add ons and the real difference this car offers for the money. (however much that might be) The Power Pac and Handling Pac retail for about 2k together which means that if this car retails for ~2k more than a comparable CS/GT it is a decent deal IMO. In fact in terms of execution this isn't all that different from the original GT350 which offered a little more hp and better handling for a not so unsubstantial amount of money....at the time anyway
To understand why this car is what it is, even if most of us on this forum and maybe other Mustang forums are dissapointed with it, you have to try to think OUTSIDE the box!! The forum Box that is!!

Yeah most of us Musatng enthusiasts want more HP and such for our money, and yeah is dosent look like much more than a few add ons diferent from a standard GT. BUT, look at the car from a global, general public view, like Amy G. and others that make the decisions what the car would be. They are trying to appeal to a lot of people , not just Mustang enthusiasts.

Look at the 07 GT-500, it has all the hp and goodies we all want but its way up the price scale, tapping on new Vette , rich boy toy territory. So here's a car, basicly a poor mans Shelby. that most people can afford. Yeah its sort of stripped down, not much more hp or add ons, but the main thing is AFFORBALE, and it is A SHELBY.

And I know many are of you all are not impressed with that either, and dont care that it's a SHELBY. Most of us that really love our Mustangs, will mod and make our own, Adrenalin, and Buningman, and I agree with you there. I dont really have much choice anyway, my price range was and still is, UNDER 30k.

But think of this, for all the millions of people out there that have dreamed about the early 65-69 Shelbys, and the new 07 Gt-500, drooled over Elenore in Gome-IN-60-Seconds, but cant afford any of them, this is thier chance to own one that most people can afford. And even though it dosnt have 500hp , it is a real Shelby,in THE registry,correct numbers, no clone. You can drive this car off the dealer lot, park right next to the someone's 68 GT500 , and say I got myself a Shelby too!!

That may not mean much to some poeple, but to a lot of people, I bet it will, and I think thats where Amy G., Unique performance, and Carroll Shelby are coming from on this one.

And for the rest of us that want more, Amy G. has hinted a GT350 is in the works. Unique Performance, Shelby and Ford arent done yet, there is still plenty of room for a few more Shebly special editions.. Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it!!
Old 8/9/06 | 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by USMC_LB
No ma'am, we definitely do not want you to leave. Please let me take the time and thank you for posting here.

I just think that everyone was expecting the Shelby-GT to be more Shelby than Mustang GT. I now see what the Shelby-GT is. An affordable car for the masses.

Can you give us a ballpark figure on when the GT 350 might be released ?

Thank you for your time spent here on our forum as well as taking the time answering emails.

Sincerely, Tim Duncan
sorry tim, guys, I didnt mean it to sound harsh, all I am saying is my team is doing whatever it takes to make shelby a mustang name again. Ford is our partner and they are working thru some tuff obsticles to help make this partnership work. I have been the president of shelby for 10 months. it has been a tough climb, restoring cobra and really focusing on building the relationship with ford. I hope to build everything everybody wants, in cars or parts, it just takes time and money. I would never expect everyone to agree, I just want people to understand, why we did this car, and if you havent driven the GT-h its a ool car....cant give you anything on the gt350, as we are working on alot of this , including what the 4.6 and 5.4 are capable of.....

Amy
Old 8/9/06 | 11:56 PM

Not meaning to be offensive in any way. More like "tough love." I merely suggest that you read what the majority of posters here are saying and take it to heart. Near as I can determine, they're not slayed by this offering.

I think most people here consider the Shelby name with quite a bit of reverence when it comes to Mustangs, and automatically expect a lot from the legend. If this car is an entry-level model that's fine, but I think too many Shelbys coming out over a span of a few short years diminishes the namesake somewhat.

I stand by my conviction that the car might get a more favorable response if it had adhered more closely to the actual Hertz car. I mean, why no black and gold...? Why is the Hertz hood acceptable for rental, but not for purchase in "standard" configuration?

I also think that many, many people here are pissed about the price gouging taking place in most Ford dealerships when it comes to the GT500. They recognize that if the car had merely been an SVT Cobra, that it would only fetch MSRP, in all likelihood. They feel burned and betrayed because the Shelby name has been slapped on a car that was completely designed and built by Ford...not Shelby Automotive - and which is worth MSRP, but frankly not a penny more from a content and performance standpoint.

I can't begin to tell you the number of threads I've read on these boards over the past year in which a good number of members (particularly the younger ones) b*tched and whined about how the Shelby name was driving up the prices on the GT500; how they didn't really remember or respect Carroll Shelby anyway; and how now they would have to look elsewhere, or wait for Ford to build a high-performance Mustang for them. They felt a bit betrayed that they couldn't have "their" SVT Cobra at a reasonable price because Ford was going on a nostalgia kick to squeeze as much money out of baby boomers as possible.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Carroll Shelby and I think it's great that he is back making Mustangs again. I only ask that you keep all these things in mind.
all good points, on the hood, I could pass all the tests, nor afford to do all the tests required, it did pass all the crash and stress tests which we were concerned with, the hood was a deal breaker, we had to change it. it is availavle as an upgrade from us.

Amy
Old 8/9/06 | 11:58 PM

Give us details on a 650HP GT500KR and you'll see how many people will be kissing your feet.
lol, did you know as a point of reference, that 2008 is the 40th anniversary of the gt500KR????

Amy
Old 8/10/06 | 01:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Needs 400hp, 325 is less than $500 away on a GT.
Old 8/10/06 | 06:02 AM

I have to give them credit for keeping the interest level high. We'll need all the excitement possible on these cars, when the new bowties and mopars come out. I think I'll have one in black.
Old 8/10/06 | 06:32 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Perfectly Stated mate..thanks!
Old 8/10/06 | 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Amy, as others have said in this thread thanks for coming here and taking the time to listen and give us feed back and info. I know it is a 2 way street and as much as we get out of it you do as well. Personally in the time I have been a member of this community of TMs this has to be the coolest thread I have seen. Not many companies would allow someone to do what you are. So again TY very much. I am even more psyched than ever about what is coming down the pike. You keep hinting about other models and more HP. And the 40th anniversary comment really got my attention. Please keep coming filling us in.