2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

I couldn't wait and built my own Shelby GT...the rating of 319HP is not accurate

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/07, 11:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmays06
Tifo as long as its what you want I'm glad for you. It sounds like a great car. Just get that baby tuned the right way and let it fly. BTW got any pics?
I'm meeting Doug tomorrow afternoon for tuning (I'm lucky he's in L.A. over the weekend). Here's some pictures of it the day after I brought it home (stock).

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=59293

New pictures coming soon...
Old 2/23/07, 11:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
That makes more sense. $32K was your purchase price and you are adding your $2800 in taxes and fees.
So prior to mods you are at $34,800 (32000 + 2800)
+ 3000 in parts = $37,800
+2450 in labor (98x25)= $40,250
My dealer gave me a $1000 instant rebate off the bottom line that was part of a promotion. Hey, since were counting everything...he also gave me a VIP card to get oil changes through the dealership for a lifetime.

I guess I have to purchase Mobil 1 if I don't want the Ford oil put in it.
Old 2/24/07, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2&2
Awesome car tifo. I have a 65 Fastback that is set up exactly like a 65 Shelby. I did the same thing to it for $500.00 in 1966 that Shelby charged $1,500.00 for.(what a rip-off) Problem is now mine is worth $20,000.00 and the real Shelby is worth $150,000.00. Something to think about
LOL, I experienced the same when I sold my '66 GT-350 clone 4 years ago...

But... how long (if ever) would it take for the current Shelby GTs to see that kind of return
Old 2/25/07, 12:08 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2&2 lets see you and a real shelby owner goto the track and see which one babys thier car around the track....I think you have the better deal my friend!
Old 2/25/07, 05:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

In traffic, how fast can you go?
Old 3/2/07, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by burningman
2&2 lets see you and a real shelby owner goto the track and see which one babys thier car around the track....I think you have the better deal my friend!
I don't babying mine. Bought to drive and have fun. In fact, it's my daily driver. I just dont take it to walmart.........LOL
Old 3/11/07, 03:41 AM
GT Member

This doesn't add up for me.

I got my SGT at an MSRP of 41K. Got all the options including Nav so mine's a bit more. But I don't see how you saved much money if you take away the crazy ADM some dealers are charging. There are dealers out there doing MSRP deals on SGTs. Thinking bigger flick the SGT will also hold a greater resale value than a stock GT with parts added. Add this the whole "Shelby" thing and I honestly don't see the point.
Old 3/12/07, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GTH395
I got my SGT at an MSRP of 41K. Got all the options including Nav so mine's a bit more. But I don't see how you saved much money if you take away the crazy ADM some dealers are charging. There are dealers out there doing MSRP deals on SGTs. Thinking bigger flick the SGT will also hold a greater resale value than a stock GT with parts added. Add this the whole "Shelby" thing and I honestly don't see the point.
Ok the MSRP of 41K plus the navagation system (you won't mention how much more you paid for it)...

So let's leave the nav system out and say you spent 41K...plus tax and license fees, which is about 3,500.00 more.
So were talking $44,500.00 out the door.

That's $6000 dollars more than I spent for my car, which has the same exact equipment as your car--> plus I have 4.10 gears and headers installed on mine. If you don't see "the point" and "it doesn't add up" you better get out your calculator. Yes, I don't have the Shelby name on my car, but for 6000 dollars more! I could easily afford to have the best supercharger on the market installed on my Mustang GT and reach 450+ HP...and still spend less than you did on your Shelby GT.

I will agree that your Shelby has a higher resale value than my Mustang GT. +1

Somehow the thought of selling my pony is the furthest thing in my mind, but it is also worth mentioning that there is no guarantee these modern-day Shelby's will ever come near the value of the those built in the 1960s.

Just my opinion...but considering the price you paid: You should have pitched in a couple more thousand and bought a Shelby GT500, or waited a few months when they sell the GT500 at MSRP. If the Shelby's are worth something in the future, the Shelby GT500 will certainly be worth more money than the Shelby GT. It would be a better buy than paying 6000 more for a car that is basically (slower) if not the same as mine. So while your Shelby is parked to conserve it's resale value and you're debating whether or not modding it will ruin it's value; I'll be out painting stripes with my Mustang GT with 6000 dollars more in the bank to spend on mods.

That's the point...

~Tifo
Old 3/12/07, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tifo
Ok the MSRP of 41K plus the navagation system (you won't mention how much more you paid for it)...

So let's leave the nav system out and say you spent 41K...plus tax and license fees, which is about 3,500.00 more.
So were talking $44,500.00 out the door.

~Tifo
Sorry if i wasn't clear. The 41K includes the navigation and every option I could order with the silly restrictions they place on the SGT options. Alarm, IUP, wheel locks, Nav, Pony center caps, etc.

Please don't mistake my comments other than my view only. I think that the difference in price, TO ME, is worth it to have it delivered and warranted as we've described. If I wasn't in a position to buy this car, didn't see the value or wanted to save the $$$, I would quite possibly doing exactly as you are to my 05'.

Good luck with your project!
Old 3/13/07, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to put a blower on my stock 07 Mustang GT, blow up the motor, have a forged blower motor built and installed and have even more fun...........Can anyone who plans on buying or already owns a Shelby GT tell me if they plan on doing the same????
Old 3/13/07, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by htwag
In traffic, how fast can you go?
As fast as you feel comfortable driving in the opposite lane.
Old 3/14/07, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by black sunshine
I'm going to put a blower on my stock 07 Mustang GT, blow up the motor, have a forged blower motor built and installed and have even more fun...........Can anyone who plans on buying or already owns a Shelby GT tell me if they plan on doing the same????
I personally am not planning on a blower, but, im going to drive the crap out of it and if the motor happens to let go, I'll just have ford put in a free one. I have a question though,

Good blower setup w/ tune = around 5-6 grand

Good forged setup (I mean professional) prep work ect..about 7-8 grand

Now your "Stock " mustang will need suspension work, else that blower just is not going to hook up for crap.

I'll guess and say, 1200-2000 bucks there? wheel hop, no traction ect...

drive shaft (1 piece) about 800 bucks. (Your gonna break the stock one)

Slicks? You wanna go faster...... 300 bucks. Oooops, we are into axles now cuase they are not going to last long, 350.

Automatic or stick? Clutch to handle all that power, 300 plus install. Converter? 450 approx.

Roughly give or take depending on the labor to install this stuff? Maybe you build it all yourself, i say around ,

15 grand? conservative number? After all that your still going to break stuff and you will footing the bill for it.

Maybe you payed what 28 for your stang complete? out the door? tax and lic.?

45G's plus in "YOUR" car.

Will "Your" car be faster? I should hope so! Will there be somebody faster then "Your" car? You bet, all the time!

Will it be me in my Shelby Gt? Nope! and it never will.

I was lucky and got my for msrp. Total out the door including, tax, lic, ect... 41,800. Do i care if it go's up in value? Nope! Did i pay to much? Who cares, It's what "I" wanted. Do i drive it every day and enjoy doing so? You bet your ****! Does it look fantastic from every angle? Yep! Do i need to dump another 15 grand or so to make the way "I" want it after i got it home? Nope! I'll take my Shelby just the way it is and you continue being faster then me.

Don't want to ruffle feathers, just my humble opinion.
Old 3/14/07, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Who say's I'm going to put all that money into the car????......Conservative blower first.....New bottom end second (if even needed). I'll be in the $fourties$ with the bottom end for sure though. But that's money well spent, IMO. Shelby GT's nice, don't get me wrong, Just to nice and a little expensive to give it a beating. IMO
Old 3/14/07, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Who say's I'm going to put all that money into the car????......Conservative blower first.....New bottom end second (if even needed). I'll be in the $fourties$ with the bottom end for sure though. But that's money well spent, IMO. Shelby GT's nice, don't get me wrong, Just to nice and a little expensive to give it a beating. IMO
I'm not taking you wrong and i respect your opinion,

Somebody who bought a Shelby Gt for an investment is dreamin.......

I got mine for the overall package including the "Shelby" part of it but not because i thought it was a potential gold mine, but because its everything i would had ever wanted to do to my mustang and a car that i had always wanted.