Ford Shelby GT Drops Its Top for 2008 Model Year w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/07, 08:59 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Ford Shelby GT Drops Its Top for 2008 Model Year w/ Photos

Press release from Ford.
  • New convertible version of the Ford Shelby GT available beginning this summer
  • New signature color: Vista Blue with Shelby GT Silver stripes
  • Production of 2008 Shelby GT aimed at 2,300 to assure exclusivity for collectors
  • Ford Mustang is America’s top-selling convertible
DEARBORN, Mich., June 13, 2007 – The magic duo of Ford Mustang and Carroll Shelby bring open-air excitement to the road for the 2008 model year as the Ford Shelby GT returns with a new convertible body style and a new standard color combination. Like all Shelby Mustang models, production will be limited to assure exclusivity for collectors. The 2008 Shelby GT coupe and convertible will be available from select Ford dealers beginning in August 2007.

The 2008 Ford Shelby GT convertible is being formally introduced to Shelby and Ford enthusiasts at the annual Mid-America Ford Performance and Shelby Meet, which opens today in Tulsa, Okla.

“The Shelby GT was engineered for people that put performance first,” said Carroll Shelby. “Working with Ford Racing, we created this Shelby to be an everyday driver that’s tuned for fun at the track. Those who value a well-balanced package will appreciate it. Those who don’t will be left behind staring at its tailpipes.”

In 2007, Ford Division, Carroll Shelby and Ford Racing joined forces to create a retail version of The Hertz Corporation Shelby GT-H coupe called the Ford Shelby GT. Fewer than 6,000 2007 models were built and all were available only in Performance White or Black.

For 2008, the highly-coveted Shelby GT is available in a new paint combination of Vista Blue with Silver stripes and the choice of two body styles, coupe or convertible.

“The Mustang convertible is the number one selling convertible in the U.S.,” states Robert Parker, Ford Division Car Marketing Manager. “Since t he Mustang program never stands still, we wanted to continue offering consumers what they want, and they told us it was a Ford Mustang Shelby GT convertible. ”

Shelby GT models begin life as a specially-equipped Mustang GT assembled at the AutoAlliance International plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The cars are then shipped to the Shelby Automobiles facility in Las Vegas for transformation before delivery to Ford dealerships nationwide.

“The birth of the Ford Shelby GT was so well received last year, especially by young enthusiasts, that we brought the car back for the 2008 model year,” said Amy Boylan, President of Shelby Automobiles. “The enormous response to Hertz’s Shelby GT-H convertible convinced us to offer customers a drop top Shelby GT. And we had so many requests for blue that we decided to make it our signature color in 2008.”

Every Shelby GT is built to perform and is the result of extensive development. Aerodynamics were key to sculpting t he powerful, unique front fascia with an aggressive lower air dam. The hood scoop comes directly from the famed Shelby Cobra roadster while unique side scoops are positioned just before the rear wheel arches. The rear fascia frames dual exhaust tips, and a Shelby badge graces the trunk lid.

“The partnership between Ford Racing and Shelby demonstrates our ability to work together to deliver some of the most exciting Mustang’s ever built,” said Jamie Allison, Ford Racing Performance Group Manager. “Ford Racing has a full line of performance parts for Mustang enthusiasts. The Shelby GT convertible is another example of how working together, Shelby and Ford Racing are developing, producing and delivering niche performance Mustangs directly to the customer.”

Under the hood, the engine is improved with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Package to increase output of the 4.6-liter V-8 to 319 horsepower and 330 lb.-ft. of torque. A high-flow exhaust system with X-pipe crossover offers better power delivery and a throaty V-8 exhaust note. Shelby GT comes standard with a five-speed manual transmission featuring a Hurst short-throw shifter for precise shift action. A five-speed automatic transmission is optional.

The balanced package includes a Ford Racing Handling Pack with special-tuned dampers, unique sway bars and a 3.55:1 ratio rear axle assembly for improved off-the-line acceleration. The overall ride height was dropped to reduce body roll while a front strut-tower brace adds additional strength to the chassis structure.

The 2008 models will sport 18-inch polished wheels with high-performance P235/50ZR18 BF Goodrich gForce tires to maximize the upgrades. Like all Mustang convertibles, each drop top will have a stylish light bar and supplemental bracing to give the car additional stiffness.

“The Shelby GT is for drivers,” says Boylan. “We enhanced the motor, the chassis and other bits to make it a fun, balanced car that is equally at home on the street or track. It’s easy to drive, very fast and offers great value for the price.”

Approximately 2,300 Shelby GT coupes and convertibles will be built for model year 2008, available with manual or automatic transmission. Each car will feature an authentication plate on the center dashboard, as well as a matching tag under the hood for documentation in a forthcoming registry. Shelby Automobiles production is scheduled to begin in August 2007. Pricing will be announced as vehicles arrive at dealerships.

About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles in 200 markets across six continents. With more than 280,000 employees and more than 100 plants worldwide, the company’s core and affiliated automotive brands include Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, and Mazda. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.fordvehicles.com.

About Shelby Automobiles, Inc.
Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby Automobiles, Inc., manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. The company has partnered with Ford Motor Company to produce the Shelby GT, Shelby GTH and GT500KR, which are based on the Mustang. For more information about Shelby Automobiles, visit www.shelbyautos.com.

Old 6/13/07, 09:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks good but kinda like a GT/CS with a hood scoop that will stay on! none the less I do like the way it looks
Old 6/13/07, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yawn.....
Old 6/13/07, 11:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What you find talk about Any form of a Mustang be s that it may Boring ?
Old 6/13/07, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
What you find talk about Any form of a Mustang be s that it may Boring ?
Meesa thinks Jar-Jar Binks posting on MS.
Old 6/13/07, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks real nice. Vista Blue is the best color on a Mustang. I would trade mine in if x-plan was available.
Old 6/13/07, 12:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
nice shifter bezel....
Old 6/13/07, 12:24 PM
CAL
GT Member

Originally Posted by BULLITT INTERCEPTOR
Meesa thinks Jar-Jar Binks posting on MS.
LOL. Bullit interceptor - you made my day...I couldn't stop laughing. Not trying to make fun / light of the person, but you cracked me up.
Old 6/13/07, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I almost got that bezel until i found out it is made out of plastic. So i went with the one from SHR.
Old 6/13/07, 01:40 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by codeman94
nice shifter bezel....
It is the stock bezel found on PTP optioned Mustangs.
Old 6/13/07, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CAL
LOL. Bullit interceptor - you made my day...I couldn't stop laughing. Not trying to make fun / light of the person, but you cracked me up.
Hmmmm, Welcome you are...
Old 6/13/07, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like all Mustang convertibles, it has a stylized light bar? Since when do all Mustang convertibles come with light bars? And extra stiffening? I thought they made a big deal about this model being designed as a vert from the beginning, so rather than the vert needing extra bracing, the coupe was just that much better off? And just how "unique" is that front fascia? It's on the CS and the previous year's SGT. I do love the car, but someone is word-smithing to make it sound more than it is. Also, just who benefits from "assuring exclusivity for collectors"? One would think that Ford would just make the number of cars that it can sell and not worry about what might or might not be collectible 30 years from now. Someone explain this line of thinking!
Old 6/13/07, 05:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meh, I won't be standing in line for one
Old 6/13/07, 05:57 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In coupe form, it my current favorite. Maybe I'll buy a used one one day.
Old 6/14/07, 10:58 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On second thought, I'll just get a new one this year. I need to reverse the colors on my avatar now.
Old 6/14/07, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im gonna email Amy and ask if she will change the name of this car/color combo to the Shelby AF
Old 6/14/07, 03:22 PM

So Riddle me this Batman.....We can get stripes on a Shelby GT vert but not on a GT500 vert?.....I tell ya....
Old 6/14/07, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
In coupe form, it my current favorite. Maybe I'll buy a used one one day.

What did I tell you about 08 Shelby GT's
Old 6/14/07, 04:50 PM

so.....for pricing it will be....

Mustang GT Vert Premium.....35,000
Shelby Package....................8,300 still?
Gas Guzzler Taz..................+1,000 (pi** me off)
Total...............................~$47,300?

you can buy a lot of car for that much cash'ola
Old 6/14/07, 10:38 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: Ford Shelby GT Drops Its Top for 2008 Model Year w/ Photos