2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

CA Emissions

Old 6/3/07, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA Emissions

Are the CA emissions requirements different on a Shelby GT from other states? I was looking at buying a Shelby GT from another state, ( I live in CA) and the dealer said that CA. cars have different emission requirements, therefore he could not sell me the vehicle.

I know that use to be true, but I thought that all new vehicles sold today have the same emssions requirements and controls in all 50 states?

Thanks!
Old 6/3/07, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that is
Old 6/4/07, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Can somebody please confirm that this is BS?
Old 6/5/07, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

mff, go to www.shelbyautos.com look for "contact us" on the bottom of the screen....call the number and ask for someone who can answer that kind of question. John maybe. I am sure it is BS. Better to be safe than sorry though and you might as well get the info from the source.
Old 6/6/07, 07:29 PM
V6 Member

I think a Shelby GT needs to start life as a Mustang GT with the California Emissions option (a no-cost option) before you can register it in California, New York, Ohio and a couple other states. Otherwise it could get very expensive trying to get the car to conform to state emissions checks in a year or two from now.

The environmental ***** strike again!
Old 6/16/07, 07:14 PM

That does not sound right. The cars that come from SAI are all set up the same i would think as in 50 state legal, The car is actually more strick on emissions because of calif. I would still email SAI to verify but, I'm pretty sure they are all set up the same and that guy is BS'n you.
Old 6/16/07, 08:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbygteddy
That does not sound right. The cars that come from SAI are all set up the same i would think as in 50 state legal, The car is actually more strick on emissions because of calif. I would still email SAI to verify but, I'm pretty sure they are all set up the same and that guy is BS'n you.
Yes they all pass but...
If if doesn't have the sticker on the car that says CA emissions, it may be a problem proving it.
And the whole Shelby thing...
I would guess that they would not order cars for themselves with this:

CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS SYSTEM NOT
REQUIRED .................................................. ............... 423
Control code for units either shipped to California
Emissions States dealers or ordered by California
Emissions States dealers for registration in non-
California States locations.
It would make things way too difficult for them.
Old 6/16/07, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

There are differences between CA emission and non-CA emission cars. So, yes the dealer is correct. If you buy a non-CA emission car, you won't be able to title it in CA.
Old 6/16/07, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by RobK
There are differences between CA emission and non-CA emission cars. So, yes the dealer is correct. If you buy a non-CA emission car, you won't be able to title it in CA.
What are they exactly?
(Except for the sticker that says it is certified.)
If you can prove the 50 state passes CA(a lot of paperwork), how do you know you can't?
Old 6/17/07, 12:23 AM

Besides a "Sticker" i dont think there is any differnce in the cars when they come from ford. They all have the same equipment as far as emissions. Maybe there is a different calibration when it leaves ford to say calif. as opposed to another state? But when it leaves SAI, they are all set up the same, calibration wise? My guess is once it leaves SAI its smog legal anywhere, except if it has to have some different "Sticker" on it. Also, the DMV/State of Calif. doesn't know the difference between a Shelby and a Gt. Your vin# only say's its a Gt. Shelby is not include in the Vin. identification. So with that said, I think you would have no problem buying a car in the mid west and having it smoged in calif. Im sure you could take it to ford in Calif. and have them maybe re-flash your cars puter to fit the bill and smog it while your there and your good to go.

Is there a smog person who could maybe chime in?
Old 6/27/07, 10:24 PM
GT Member

Ugh...the Shelby GT is 50 state legal in ALL aspects. Second the person that said you can't title a car in CA that was bought elsewhere is Full of @#@! of course you can! I moved from MA to CA and had to pay a silly smog impact fee but that was overturned in the courts and I got my money back. There is no issue with that now and you would be hard pressed to find a car these days that was not 50-state emissions legal.
Old 6/28/07, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by GTH395
Ugh...the Shelby GT is 50 state legal in ALL aspects. Second the person that said you can't title a car in CA that was bought elsewhere is Full of @#@! of course you can! I moved from MA to CA and had to pay a silly smog impact fee but that was overturned in the courts and I got my money back. There is no issue with that now and you would be hard pressed to find a car these days that was not 50-state emissions legal.
What year was that?
MA has CA emissions.
No wonder you got your money back!