2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Another "Is it worth it?" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/07, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another "Is it worth it?" thread

I got my car pretty much where I want it, except for that supercharger, and just got Carroll's signature on the dash this past weekend. So now my wife says she realizes that I probably won't be satisfied until I get a "real" Shelby, so she says to look into selling my car and getting a Shelby GT!. I've followed along here a bit, but would like opinions as how whether this is worthwhile or not. Also, am I likely to get a better deal on a leftover 07 in black, or should I look for the 08? All opinions are welcome.
Old 12/3/07, 06:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by backafter20
I got my car pretty much where I want it, except for that supercharger, and just got Carroll's signature on the dash this past weekend. So now my wife says she realizes that I probably won't be satisfied until I get a "real" Shelby, so she says to look into selling my car and getting a Shelby GT!. I've followed along here a bit, but would like opinions as how whether this is worthwhile or not. Also, am I likely to get a better deal on a leftover 07 in black, or should I look for the 08? All opinions are welcome.
Looks like you have done some nice work to your current car. It looks great.

My opinion only here. The Shelby is a Shelby. Never be able to take it away from the car. There are significant upgrades already done. Hurst, grille, 3:55 gearing, and you know the rest. The car does handle very well. It is truly amazing what that FR500 suspension package does for this car. There are issues with the 07's that have been discussed on many forums. Such as the early car numbers hood scoops and the front grille assembly. The hood scoop attaching in the early cars were held by bolts through the hood and had a tendency to bow and warp. The rivets you see on the hood scoop were faux. The later number cars had the scoops riveted completely around. The 08's have the fix. The 07 Grilles were modified factory grilles so in the right light you could see where the factory GT fog light holes were. The 08 has an entire grille assembly. The hood pins on the 07 tended to rust and were not of high quality on early cars. The 08's have the Shelby GT billet hood pins as part of the package. The door sills on the 07 say Shelby GT on the 08 they also have the CSM number in red under the Shelby GT. And of course the colors. I love your Vista Blue car. If I knew they were going to release an 08 in Vista Blue I would have waited but I am happy with my 07 I have fixed all of the issues. If you need a contact to purchase PM me because I do have a great dealer. I was able to pay $500 over invoice when they were hot with 0%. There are still great deals, much better than I got, on leftover 07's. Good luck in which ever way you go.
Old 12/4/07, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, thanks for the info. I am going to check out my local dealer today, just to guage the BS level. There is another dealership a bit further away that actually specializes in Shelby and special edition Mustangs, and usually has an entire showroom full of customized stangs. I may have to go there to find someone who knows what their talking about. Then again, I do love my car, and I could add that supercharger for what an SGT would cost. We'll see...

Hey, another idea...Would my car be worth more if I put it back to stock and sold the parts separately? (Ca. Dream hood, CDC frt spoiler, SSE rear ducktail, SCT w/JLT intake) Just trying to think this out.
Old 12/4/07, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

sometimes leaving your car the way it is, helps.I sold my car with all my mods and they ended up bumping my trade in value up another 3200 because it was a real attention grabber. If I took everything off, exhaust ect, would have cost some coin and selling the parts wouldn't have gotten me even close to what they offered me.
Old 12/4/07, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

There is another dealership a bit further away that actually specializes in Shelby and special edition Mustangs, and usually has an entire showroom full of customized stangs. I may have to go there to find someone who knows what their talking about.

If your talking about Omeara, the only thing the sales staff there specializes in HUA syndrome. (head up a**) They don't have any product knowledge to speak of.

Oh yeah wait till you get a load of the ADM's there.
Old 12/4/07, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, I was talking O'meara. I've seen so many Shelbys there that I figured they would at least know the product. I've been to other Ford dealers that didn't even know what a Shelby GT was, let alone how to order one. The dealers around here have a 20k premium on the GT500s, even though you can get them cheaper on ebay. The last SGT I saw locally was going for sticker. Thanks for the heads up. I won't bother driving up to O'meara if they have that head-positioning issue there.
Old 12/4/07, 10:44 PM
V6 Member

As I mentioned, there are great deals to be had. My dealer has shipped or had shipped many cars around the country and he is in GA. AFBLUE purchased his SGT from him. He has a car going back to Shelby for major mods that is going to Spain. The man just get's things done. You can find him on the Shelby Public forum and Stangsunleashed. His name is Michael Morris.
Old 12/4/07, 10:56 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice: Ask yourself this question. Do you really want a Shelby GT? From a logical viewpoint, they are overpriced for what you get (sum of parts vs price).

If you know it's overpriced and you still want it, get one (that was how I ended up ordering one). They might hold their value better than a mustang GT, but that shouldn't figure into the equation. It's really an emotional decision.

If you decide you want one, wait until the spring and get an 08. Prices continue to drop and you probably can get a much better deal.

Just guessing, but I think you should be able to pick up a new 08 with a few options for less than $35K by the spring. The Bullitt release will help to drive SGT prices down.
Old 12/5/07, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Mark, now that's good news. I was worried about the 08 prices since production will be so much less than 07. I could get a supercharger and several other nice mods on my car for what an SGT would cost me, but my car will never be a Shelby. In the end, it will only be a GT that someone ended up spending too much money on and will never get back. I know, if I want a return on my investment, remodel my kitchen, right? But at least a Shelby will retain some value and 10-20 years from now, will still be a Shelby, regardless of condition. It's an emotional thing, a purchase from the heart, not the head. It will probably be easier to sell my car in the spring anyway. Denver got tons of snow last year and I'm sure that's on everyone's mind about now. A Mustang won't be a popular winter purchase. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 12/5/07, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

I say if you are a SHELBY lover like myself and others and you can afford to do it financially and your wife gave you the ok, then I'd jump on it, but that's because I would be owning something that had the name and was worked on by Shelby's shop in Vegas and no can take that it is a Shelby away from you.

The car is over priced for what you get and if you can live with that then go for it. The car is a great piece of history. Everywhere I go everyone is super drooling over it and this comes from someone who can compare having an 05' and an 07' Shelby GT.

But of course you can always add to your GT what the Shelby Gt has, but it will NEVER be a Shelby. You will not regret the purchase.
Think about it.
Old 12/5/07, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, it's that whole "real" issue that gets me. People are always asking me about my supercharger and about my 500hp, (I have neither), and want to know how fast it is. My car says GT300, and has Shelby no where, except for the real signature on the dash, yet people always think it's a Shelby. I guess that's the effect I wanted, without actually creating a clone or a fake, but I am always quick to point out that "it's just a GT with stickers". No one seems disappointed except for me. I do love my car, and would never have imagined selling it after only 2.5 years, but there weren't real Shelbys when I bought it, either. If you're right about the prices, Mark, I can truly see myself doing this. (It helps that I just got my wife a new car with every bell and whistle imaginable, most of them unnecessary.) I'm looking at the Shelby accesories available, things that actually say "Shelby" that I would not put on my car for fear of retribution from the purists, and I can see me in an SGT pretty easily. I am waiting for feedback from two different dealerships right now. I'm in no hurry...
Old 12/6/07, 12:36 AM
Cobra R Member

I have to agree with Rossgt, AFBLUE, and Torrence on this. It does cost more than doing it yourself but the car is AWESOME! Not just my words but every person that I have let drive my car comes back drooling and wanting one.

If you plan on getting mods on the car that could be a factor too. If you have to get it shipped due to a SC or anything then Michael Morris would be a great choice and it wouldn't matter where the dealer is if the car will be getting shipped to you anyways.

Just food for thought....that and be ready for a LOT of driving! I am recovering from lower back surgery and find reasons and ways to drive the car. It is addictive!
Old 12/6/07, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ive been quoted $36,992 for a black 07. I think I can do better, and am leaning towards the 08 (which may be higher, for now). I like the small differences between the two and the fact that the 08 will probably be even less common.
Old 12/6/07, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

That's not a bad price, depending on what's in the car.

Color should be a big issue for you as well, depending on what you want before jumping into an 08, which is what I think you are considering.
Old 12/6/07, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

That car is fairly standard. I like the possibility of heated seats in an 08, the ambient lighting, and the chrome on the radio *****. I also like the serial number on the door sill. I got my sonic blue originally to go with a Shelby theme, but I have often regretted getting it because I felt that black lent itself to more customizing opportunities. If I got an SGT, I would not be customizing it much, though, and blue still seems to say "Shelby" to me. I know I could do the suspension upgrades and add a supercharger for what I'll spend on an SGT, but I can't keep the idea out of my head, now that my wife put it there. Does anyone think that the SGTs will hold value better than regular GTs? (Looking for a logical excuse to get one.) I drive an automatic now, but the reason for getting the auto isn't there anymore. Pros and cons on an auto in the SGT?
Old 12/6/07, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

It really doesn't matter if the car holds the value or not. It's about the passion for the car. If this is something that you are going to keep, which I would assume that you would since it is a Shelby, why worry about the value in the long run?

I have an Auto and my car is s/c and I am loving it. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

You gotta see an SGT in WHITE..... SEXY......................
Old 12/6/07, 04:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I say go for it. Seems to me like you've made up your mind. You pay for the name which your aware of but you cant put a price on satisfaction. And it looks like that satisfaction is only going to come from owning a real shelby liscensed car.

For me satisfaction lies with a whipple intercooled s/c, suspension upgrades, and other misc performance parts. But thats me.

I say go for it!
Old 12/6/07, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know the resale doesn't really enter into it. I was just looking for an excuse to justify the expense. My interest in all things Shelby has recently hit the roof. I have always admired him and his products, but all the new cars out, and my meeting him last week have just got me wound up. I was hot for the black 07 until I saw the Vista 08. Now I'm leaning that way. I like what Mark said about the 08s being cheaper next spring. Anyone else agree? Or do Mustang sales tank in the winter, thereby giving me a better chance at a good deal now? The "real" issue hangs over me....

Hey, I just got Shelby's signature on my dash. Would it be worth it to replace the part on my car and not let it go with the sale, or just try and get more for the car with the sig?
Attached Thumbnails Another "Is it worth it?" thread-dsc05218-large-.jpg   Another "Is it worth it?" thread-shelby-071-medium-.jpg  
Old 12/6/07, 06:27 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been quoted $36,992 for a black 07. I think I can do better, and am leaning towards the 08 (which may be higher, for now). I like the small differences between the two and the fact that the 08 will probably be even less common.

That's more than I paid for my 08 (after $2000 in incentives). I've seen 07s for sale for hundreds below invoice.

Don't worry about the supply drying up anytime soon.
On 14 Nov there were 1615 unsold 08 Shelby GTs (out of a total of ~2200)
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...dpost&p=252360
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...dpost&p=259608
Old 12/6/07, 06:29 PM
SGT

I wold take it off, if you are shelby crazy! If not sell it with the car sure you can get some extra $ for the sig. Disclaimer: I am not saying that I would ever sell MR.Shelbys sig.

Quick Reply: Another "Is it worth it?" thread