2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

The 2009 Gt-350 Will Have...a V-6!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/07, 01:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2009 Gt-350 Will Have...a V-6!!!

Nostrodamus says the '09 GT-350 will have the new Twin-Force 3.5 twin turbo 415hp/400 ft lb. engine.

Carbon fiber fenders,rear quarters with hips and weigh 3400 lbs.
It will deal with Corvettes as the original('66) did.
Old 1/8/07, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nostrodamus must be smoking some GOOD stuff then.

Old 1/8/07, 01:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacjetlag
Nostrodamus says the '09 GT-350 will have the new Twin-Force 3.5 twin turbo 415hp/400 ft lb. engine.

Carbon fiber fenders,rear quarters with hips and weigh 3400 lbs.
It will deal with Corvettes as the original('66) did.
Hey ! it never hurts to dream! just don't hold your breath waiting for that dream to come true!
Old 1/8/07, 01:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Strickland
Nostrodamus must be smoking some GOOD stuff then.

----

Yah....TIRES.
Old 1/8/07, 10:05 PM
FR500 Member

You sure it wasn't Pat Robertson making those predictions regarding the Corvette apocalypse in the near future?
Old 1/8/07, 10:23 PM
V6 Member

What Mustang do you think that engine is made for...the Avis rental cars?
Old 1/9/07, 09:05 AM
GT Member

V-6 twin-turbos - wimpy - wimpy - wimpy - wimpy if it's NOT a GOD BLESS AMERICAN V8 IT'S JUST NOT A TRUE SHELBY MUSTANG.... Besides which (slight retraction here) Shelby recent came out with a V-6 turbo but it not called a GT-350, check out his site I think he's currently selling a few cars (to each is own on what you like - I own a 2003 Mach 1 - but drive a 2003 Honda Civic as my daily driver)....

And I thought I cornered the market with threads and postings concerning future GT 350 production... Welcome friend SOMEONE ELSE - IS FINALLY TALKING ABOUT THE GT 350... IT'S ABOUT TIME....... Doesn't seem to be to much interest YET - THAT WILL CHANGE WITH TIME..... The GT 350's DAY WILL COME................. MR. GT 350 RANDY ANDERSON
Old 1/9/07, 04:23 PM
Cobra R Member

They have the supercharged Shelby CS6, which is a V6 but I must have missed the turbo one. I will have to check their site again.

When Ford or Shelby announces a GT 350 there will be plenty of talk then...both good and bad. Some people will say it doesn't have this, too much, was not what they were expecting while others will be thrilled. Just wait...that is my prediction.

Old 1/10/07, 12:17 AM
V6 Member

This is not a CS6(4.0 with a Paxton)....it is a new direct injected, all aluminum engine with variable cam timing and injectors rated to 600hp.Forged internals ,too. The good part is the weight reduction...something close to 400 lbs with the turbos and intercooler.

Wimpy...no. I'm a V8 guy at heart too, but if we get 415 hp/400 ft lbs (on E-85!)at a much lower weight,I don't care how many cylinders it has.

They are mating it with a new 6 speed auto in the MKR(Mustang chassis)
Old 1/10/07, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jacjetlag
This is not a CS6(4.0 with a Paxton)....it is a new direct injected, all aluminum engine with variable cam timing and injectors rated to 600hp.Forged internals ,too. The good part is the weight reduction...something close to 400 lbs with the turbos and intercooler.

Wimpy...no. I'm a V8 guy at heart too, but if we get 415 hp/400 ft lbs (on E-85!)at a much lower weight,I don't care how many cylinders it has.

They are mating it with a new 6 speed auto in the MKR(Mustang chassis)
Sorry if I sound like a doubter...but....where did you hear this? And, yeah, I agree with Mil...there will be plenty of pro- & con- discussions even before the GT350 hits the pavement....but isn't that what's fun around here????

By the way, you are talking to a 4 times T-Bird Supercoupe owner here (loved those things), so I have nothing against 6 cyl's either, I just find it highly unlikely. Plus, I looooooove the burble of an American V-8!!!
Old 1/10/07, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

My friend "Nostrodamus" worked on the Cyclone engine. They revealed the twin turbo in the MKR for the creation of buzz and curiosity. Ford has noticed how we complain about everything Mustang related unless it is something like a Boss 302 or 429. If they just came out and said they would put this in the GT 350, every Mustang guy would scream "Heresy!, it's not a V-8 ". They put it in the Lincoln to let us know this engine existed and to create the question in consumer's minds, "What would that do in a Mustang?" The engine is well developed and almost ready to go. Possible displacement increase to 3.8L...sound familiar? Buick GN? Contrary to public opinion , Ford is not stupid. Maybe a little cheap sometimes ,but not stupid.
Old 1/10/07, 11:26 AM
V6 Member

P.S....the GT 350 was meant to be a powerful car for the twisties, and that is what it will be again when it shows up in '09. Fast ,balanced and light.
Old 1/10/07, 11:38 AM

That would be quite intriguing. Taken too far, adherence to heritage and tradition can become a real technological straight jacket. Heck, there's probably people out there still trying to get over the demise of leaf springs and carburetors. But presuming the Twin Force 35 is a powerful, light and impressive motor, well, maybe it's time to start developing some new heritage rather than forever dredging up past glories. I love a good V8 as much as the next guy, but not so much so that I'll close my mind off to other excellent possibilities. An IRS, six-speed TF-35 road-racing GT350 could make an excellent complement to the other V8-based performance models in the Mustang line.
Old 1/10/07, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

All great fodder for discussion......but I need to "see" more on this....any more info you can divulge or sources of info for entertainment purposes.....?

PS-- This I have read:
"It's a twin-turbo version of Ford's recently introduced 3.5-liter V6 with direct injection. Ford claims the MKR's motor makes 415 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque and runs on E85 ethanol. A version of this motor, called the TwinForce, will make it to production, but the double-throwdown chrome treatment it has received for auto show duty will not. It's a twin-turbo version of Ford's recently introduced 3.5-liter V6 with direct injection. Ford claims the MKR's motor makes 415 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque and runs on E85 ethanol. A version of this motor, called the TwinForce, will make it to production, but the double-throwdown chrome treatment it has received for auto show duty will not. "

That's not enough for me. Any spec's revealed?
Old 1/11/07, 12:53 AM
GT Member

I hope Shelby & Ford take their sweet time and do the future GT350 right and make us all proud - they NEED to include alot of styling hightlights from the original Shelbys of the sixties which MADE them special if they want a outstanding sequal to the GT350 - a one of a kind creations - by adding things like - a honest to god rollbar and shoulder harness, upper and lower functional side scoops, wide t-bird/ Cougar type taillights, and a working - ram air type hood scoop - no- pop rivets ha-ha, nor do we want California Specials want-a-bees...

I want a REAL SHELBY with some serious Ford go fast parts (like the Shelby-GT) 4.6 supercharged a 400 hp plus (2003/2004 Cobra) - road racer with menacing presence and license plate to make it legal... Remember the movie Mad Max and his black police car with the supercharger- baddest looking car, bare-bone and functional just like the 65-67 Shelbys... The new GT500 is more of a street cruiser just a bit top heavy - hey look at me I got 500 hp in search of a drag-strip (a long straight road and I'm good to go) The GT350 CAN BE SO MUCH MORE - a all around car thats NOT afraid of the twisties... Thats the car I've waited for most of my adult life for... I came VERY close with the Speed Racer - Mach 5 (sorry) I mean 2003 Mach 1 ....But it NOT a Shelby GT350....

Please Carroll - PLEASE do this car Justice and DO IT RIGHT - I know YOU HAVE the golden touch... Owning a new GT350 will make my life - I let my 1967 GT500 #459 go ONLY to buy my house, I need a replacement to come full circle and feel complete... Thank you in advance I know you'll do us all proud.... Randy Anderson

You want to - WOW - the general public - then make a car with some of these Shelby features, and you'll have us foaming at the mouth to buy one.... I personally WANT MORE than stripes and Shelby's name on the car - I want the boy-racer hardware that makes each of us dream of buying that highly modified hi-performance GT350 and entering it a semi-pro racing competition or maybe actively campaigning the car on the quarter-mile drag strips... Or stop light racing for bragging right to who has best ride in town.... Back in the sixties Ford had a saying that went - RACE ON SUNDAY - SELL ON MONDAY... What happen to that spirit???? Also as far as those talking the talk of a change in the wind V6 supercharge or turbocharge whatever - Hi-performance Shelby Mustang HAVE ALWAY STOOD FOR A GOOD OLD AMERICAN V8... Call old fashion but as the saying goes their is NO substitute for cubic inches....
Old 1/11/07, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Not disagreeing with Randy.......but-- think about it. 415 HP and 500 lbs lighter. That would be your rocket for the twisties. Personally, if this became a reality, I don't want all the extra stuff unless it was functional. The Shelby GT is a strong contender with a blower. It's around 450 lbs lighter than the GT500, with 470 HP (my guess on the weight of the blower added in there).
This mill has got to be lighter than the 4.6 s/c'd, significantly. If that's the case, and the motor can handle up to 600 HP, you could concievably have a very sick car on your hands.....sick in a good way....
As for scoops..well, I think the styling has to be there, but only for a real reason. There are a number of ways to differentiate between models without the tacked on stuff. I just don't want to add weight for no reason. Like the original GT 350s. Light, balanced, and simple.
BUT-- if the weight was identical (or close), give me the blown 4.6 Cobra motor, hands-down. I don't care about 15% gas savings or I would buy a Focus...
Old 1/11/07, 10:47 AM
V6 Member

There are a lot of factors in a GT 350. Obviously the name is nostalgic, so there have to be some retro cues to the car. There are also federal
CAFE standards to meet, airbags, SUV bumper height match-ups , ESC,etc. ,
any number of things the original car never had to deal with.

The Mod motors days are numbered as were the 5.0....the Hurricanes are coming and are supposed to share a lot of tech with the Cyclone engines. Mullaly has funded Hurricane development.

Historically, Ford has linked the "big blocks" to trucks and the standard Hurricanes will show up there first. Also the Diesel F-150 will make Ford a TON of money if they can be first to market. It's being tested now.

Back to the thread....Road car performance is all about power-to-weight ratio, weight distributon, traction, steering feel/input, braking . Nostro says HTT is serious about the V6 in the GT-350 as long as it makes the power and warranty criteria. The weight reduction is a serious plus.Right now, they think it is the best choice,but will build several configurations and test them.

What a fun job that would be.
Old 1/11/07, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by crispy23c
Not disagreeing with Randy.......but-- think about it. 415 HP and 500 lbs lighter. That would be your rocket for the twisties. Personally, if this became a reality, I don't want all the extra stuff unless it was functional. The Shelby GT is a strong contender with a blower. It's around 450 lbs lighter than the GT500, with 470 HP (my guess on the weight of the blower added in there).
This mill has got to be lighter than the 4.6 s/c'd, significantly. If that's the case, and the motor can handle up to 600 HP, you could concievably have a very sick car on your hands.....sick in a good way....
As for scoops..well, I think the styling has to be there, but only for a real reason. There are a number of ways to differentiate between models without the tacked on stuff. I just don't want to add weight for no reason. Like the original GT 350s. Light, balanced, and simple.
BUT-- if the weight was identical (or close), give me the blown 4.6 Cobra motor, hands-down. I don't care about 15% gas savings or I would buy a Focus...
Agree completely!! If the V6 is as strong as indicated AND there is a significant weight savings, I'd be willing to accept two fewer cylinders - even though I love the torque and lovely exhaust note a V8 offers
Old 1/11/07, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Call me old fashion/ or old school - make my GT350 a V8 the torque and the rumble of V8 dual exhaust...4.6 supercharged would do it for me... Randy Anderson
Old 1/11/07, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Randy Anderson
Call me old fashion/ or old school - make my GT350 a V8 the torque and the rumble of V8 dual exhaust...4.6 supercharged would do it for me... Randy Anderson
-----
Ok...you are old fashioned.
Personally , I like the sound of a V-12 Rolls Royce Merlin in a P-51, but they won't build those again either.

As Rhumb said earlier, it's time to build some new heritage. I'd buy a modern day GT 350 eats Rice , runs on corn and chews up Vette's and spits them out. If they get the power to weight ratio right, Ford can figure out the rest with Shelby's help. This could be one of those cars we all remember for a looooong time.

Quick Reply: The 2009 Gt-350 Will Have...a V-6!!!