2006 Shelby GT-H and 2007 GT-H Convertible Share Your Shelby Rental Stories & Photos

Hertz for a day

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/07, 08:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hertz for a day

My friend, that has a car dealership, got in two Shelby Hertz cars and let me take one out for the day. I must say the stares and conversations were nice, driving it was fun. But, I was glad to get my LL GT back this evening and put the top down and cruise.
These cars are nice, I think mine could take it. They claim 25hp gain. My CAI, exhaust and tune have been dyno proven to give my 30 more ponies. But what I was starting to say was, why have a car the you "shouldn't" mod and more importantly, why buy a used car (for big bucks) that 99% of the miles on it are "HARD" miles. The man "Shelby" is a ledgend, and so will these cars be someday. I'm proud to have had the chance to drive one.
It was a fun day in a unique car.
Attached Thumbnails Hertz for a day-hertz-me-r.jpg  
Old 9/7/07, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
good stuff. So were these used or new? He is selling them correct? How much?
Old 9/7/07, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

They are used. Asking price for either is $45,950. Below is their wedsite. Very good family buisness, high end hand selected auto's only. Danny is the one I deal with mostly.

http://www.archibalds.biz/
Old 9/7/07, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
They are used.$45,950.
Old 9/7/07, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
When I look at my 05 Redfire GT, that I got at Xplan for about $26 something in Feb 05, it seems that those rental used GTHs for $45k are a waste of money. Just my opinion though!
Attached Thumbnails Hertz for a day-82.b.jpg   Hertz for a day-58.b.jpg   Hertz for a day-63.b.jpg  
Old 9/7/07, 03:41 PM
V6 Member

$45,000 is a bit steep anywhere else in the country, but apparently NW dealers think they can get it (they can't). I live in Oregon and just bought a GT-H in August - with shipping and everything else, still beat the best local dealer by $13,000 (and your buddy by a few thousand). Looks like he has some good condition cars, but hopefully he's willing to deal to get them off the lot.

I tend to agree that a modded GT, just like any other car you invest a lot of time and money into to improve, could take a Shelby. On the other hand, it is nice to have a recognizably unique car that gets stops, stares, thumbs ups, etc. whereever you go (unless you're in a hurry).

Mike (in Portland)
Old 9/7/07, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice article you wrote here, but the prices are bit high on the market.
Old 9/7/07, 03:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would think if anyone buys a used mustang....most of those miels will be "HARD" miles....I think I take good care of mine, but I dont think I would buy a used mustang from me.

.....HEART TRANSPLANT!?!?! Good Lord!...take it easy in those muscle cars miracle boy!!
Old 9/12/07, 01:53 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Benzito
On the other hand, it is nice to have a recognizably unique car that gets stops, stares, thumbs ups, etc. whereever you go.
I get stops, stares and thumbs ups in my Redfire GT ... no Shelby required.
Old 9/12/07, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

"Shelby" the name and the man are a legend. That will always bring value to something, as history has proven. And believe you me, I have a special bond with him and many others, through a mircle experience (heart transplant). I was sent autographed items from Carroll while in the hosptial waiting for my "miricale".
Shelby always takes his projects "Mustangs" to the next level. Always in a good way. I would love to own anything "Shelby". But it's just not in my cards. I loved the chance to drive an "H-car" and all the props to those whom choose to get one. They are special and limited.
Yes I got stares and coments in the "H", but I've gotten those in many of my own project cars/trucks. It's all about enjoying what you got!!!
Attached Thumbnails Hertz for a day-mystic-re.jpg   Hertz for a day-donor.jpg   Hertz for a day-l-stang-resize.jpg   Hertz for a day-p1020653r.jpg  
Old 9/14/07, 05:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
My friend, that has a car dealership, got in two Shelby Hertz cars and let me take one out for the day. ...
What did you think of the Shelby's ride comfort compared to you car?
Old 9/14/07, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Now that you mention it, the ride was a smoother rider than mine. I have the Eibach Pro lowering kit on mine. So, that would mean to me that the Ford racing lowering package would be betterr, oh yes, and much more costly. Back to the old saying, you get what you pay for.
Mine is fine $200 & free installation
Old 9/17/07, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the write up, still like others when I think of the what I paid for mine on X-plan I really can't complain, plus I get to mod it my self how I like with out worrying about decreasing any said "collectors value". Still given the chance I would try one out. I might buy a used Mustang if it was able to pass my used car check list(which hardly any do) but this Stang would not, just too many unknown factors and driving conditions.
Old 9/21/07, 05:54 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Why buy a car like that, used (hard), and you cant really modify it? - Not for me. Plus its got an auto, no thanks.
Old 9/21/07, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

If you're into serious mods, a GT-H probably isn't for you for all the reasons mentioned. There are those who tricked out the original Shelbys and GT350Hs from the 1960s and it didn't seem to hurt value, even though it affected authenticity. The person who buys a limited edition car and then modifies it probably is NOT worried about value, anyway (i.e., maybe they can afford the loss in future collectibility or care more about having a fun car).

I had no plans to modify my car anyway, whether it was a V6, GT, CS, etc., so the GT-H was fine with me. Automatic and all.