2006 Shelby GT-H and 2007 GT-H Convertible Share Your Shelby Rental Stories & Photos

06 Shelby GT-H for a week "spluttering let down"

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/06, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Shelby GT-H for a week "spluttering let down"

I rented the 06 Shelby GT-H #083 with 3666 miles on her for 2 weeks from Orlando international on the 1st of September after pre booking the car over here in England 3 months previous as soon as the bookings in the UK were available. The car looked fantastic when i picked it up "and stood through 10 min the Hertz check list" !

First impretions of the car were not good however the car spluttered and coughed under full accelaration from 90 mph up and stuggled its way to 125mph , anyone else notice this ,is there some form of electronic limiter fitted? or was mine poorly !

Other than this the car was fine , very quick off the mark up to the start of the spluttering handled like a dream and sounded nice , got lots of attention everywere with people taking pictures of it werever it was "driven or parked" Orlando int Hertz has 50 of these cars and the manager said they expect them to sell for $70,000 through Ford dealers,very over priced for a slightly hoted GT that all parts are available from Ford, the rarety of the cars and the 66 nostalgia should sell them though,"i hope whoever gets #083 gets the spluttering sorted out" !

I kept the car for 1 week clocked up 1000 miles in it, returned it "got charged a fortune for the excess miles over the 525 allowed for the week" and made do with a V6 coupe for the last week. Really enjoyed it though and got to drive a future classic.
Attached Images          
Old 10/3/06, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I rented #177 from the orlando airport also, and was told by the on duty manager during the checkout that i was to put regular unleaded gas in it. the car has the premium fuel upgrade, maybe that was the problem. I also had mine up to about 120 and didn't suffer any hesitation, or shutter at higher speeds. I used to work at avis and know first hand how rental cars get flogged. in my opinion someone would be an absolute fool for buying a GT-H for 70k, when you can get the shelby GT for half that. glad you were able to come to orlando, hope you had a good time. i love living close to all that the city has to offer.
Old 10/3/06, 10:19 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw 5 of them at the MCA/MCLV show this weekend here in Las Vegas. I know one couple from back east reads this forum, hopefully he'll see the thread and chime in on his experience. I forgot the car number (think it was something like 440) but here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails 06 Shelby GT-H for a week "spluttering let down"-gth.jpg  
Old 10/3/06, 10:30 AM
V6 Member

I didn't get mine up that fast but noticed the octane sticker on the fuel door showing 91 octane. The first tank I put 87 in and it ran fine. The last tank I put in I used 91 and noticed a slight difference but not much. Eithe way I LOVED the car and like Darren says, the looks the car gets while moving and parked are priceless.

Cam
Old 10/3/06, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I rented #286 in San Diego last month. I asked the agent about fuel requirements, amd was told that "regular would be fine". No noticeable starting, cruising, or acceleration (55-100mph) problems were detected. Very impressive at all speeds. I believe I filled her with 89 Octane.
FRPP package requires "premium" fuel. I wonder what the performance would be if these cars actually had that?
Attached Thumbnails 06 Shelby GT-H for a week "spluttering let down"-img_3192.jpg   06 Shelby GT-H for a week "spluttering let down"-img_3176.jpg  
Old 10/3/06, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

are those vinyl stripes on the GT-H?
Old 10/3/06, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, and they were very attractive. There were some scratches from customer use. Compared to the two GT500's I' ve seen, they were right on! The GT500's looked like they were put on without too much attention to detail, ie. corners not even, or a cut through the tape itself on the rear fascia. That might indicate the quality of workmanship from a Ford plant versus Shelby. If I ever got one, I'd sure be temped to have them painted.
Old 10/3/06, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

Yep, definately would have the stripes painted on if I get one. Of course, wouls have all of the scrathces and scuffs taken care of at the same time.

Cam
Old 12/17/06, 12:30 AM

I rented a GT-H in Phoenix and experienced the same problem in the higher RPM range, sputtering and hesitation - I am convinced that someone filled it with 87 octane.

Overall, I noticed that the stripes were not faring so well in the heat of the Arizona sun. There was some fading on the roof stripes and cracking near the third brake light. I am sure this will be addressed once these cars are reconditioned before sale - overall the car was in great shape - the interior was spotless (outside of what appeared to be cigarette ashes on he back seat. I made sure to point this out to the manager who was checking the car out. Thankfully, it didn't smell like someone smoked in it.)

Now besides these observations, I had a great time with the car. I loved the exhaust note, and I am a real fan of the suspension package. I happened to pull up next to a stock GT and was suprised at how high a stock GT rode next to the GT-H. I also didn't mind the AT as much as I thought I would. This car was really a lot of fun.
Old 3/31/07, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chilli bullitt
I . . . noticed the octane sticker on the fuel door showing 91 octane. The first tank I put 87 in . . .

Cam
Why I'll make every effort not to buy a former rental car.
Old 1/6/08, 11:00 PM

Shelby GT-H

I just got back from Fl where I rented one from PBI Airport, it had 12,000 miles on it, I put 87 octane in it for the whole two weeks I had it and it ran great and never cut out once, when I stomped on it passing many cars coming across the state on RT70 and up to 120mph it ran great and once I got the TCS disabled it lit the tires up very nicely here

I want to rent another one but now back in Ohio</ST1 I haven’t found any Hertz location that has them available.<O</O
Old 1/19/08, 11:48 PM
FR500 Member

Just saw a GT-H 'vert on the dyno today. Initially it didn't want to cooperate, but they figured out the "TCS solution", LOL. After the run, the guy left it disabled and gave us a little "smoke show" before leaving. Hope he remembers to "re-enable" the TCS before he returns it!