2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

X-Plan concern

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/06, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Plan concern

Hey everybody,

I went down and ordered my GT/CS!!! Whoo hooo!!! For everyone who provided input, thank you very much for your help. I got a black vert, parch/black interior, IUP, Gt appearance, charcoal panel. And... AUTOMATIC. I did that for several reasons. My wife was a HUGE factor in it, but I do not blame her. The time is just not ripe for the picking. I figure when we have kids in two years, and they are no longer in a car seat, I will have an SUV AND buy me a post 2010 body style in MANUAL.

Anyway.... The X-Plan says that you must identify yourself as an x-plan participant straight off, so I did. When it came down to trade, I was trying to get a price on my 04 RX-8. After a ton of negotiation, the guy was about to give me 4500 less than the average trade!! WTF?? Has anyone on the X-Plan been screwed on their trade-in? This dealer was simply lowering my trade to basically get sticker price then some on the car. It just negated the plan! I would love to hear your experiences towards trades on X-Plan. I have heard your buying, not trade though.

In other news... I have an 04 RX-8 for sale if anyone knows anyone who wants one!!

Davion
Old 8/16/06, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Davion
Hey everybody,

I went down and ordered my GT/CS!!! Whoo hooo!!! For everyone who provided input, thank you very much for your help. I got a black vert, parch/black interior, IUP, Gt appearance, charcoal panel. And... AUTOMATIC. I did that for several reasons. My wife was a HUGE factor in it, but I do not blame her. The time is just not ripe for the picking. I figure when we have kids in two years, and they are no longer in a car seat, I will have an SUV AND buy me a post 2010 body style in MANUAL.

Anyway.... The X-Plan says that you must identify yourself as an x-plan participant straight off, so I did. When it came down to trade, I was trying to get a price on my 04 RX-8. After a ton of negotiation, the guy was about to give me 4500 less than the average trade!! WTF?? Has anyone on the X-Plan been screwed on their trade-in? This dealer was simply lowering my trade to basically get sticker price then some on the car. It just negated the plan! I would love to hear your experiences towards trades on X-Plan. I have heard your buying, not trade though.

In other news... I have an 04 RX-8 for sale if anyone knows anyone who wants one!!

Davion
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but to avoid the trade hassle, just try selling you vehicle outright instead of trading it. You will have about 5-8 weeks to wait for it to arrive. Also, don't let them try to charge you any document fees, as they are not allowed to on the x-plan.
Old 8/16/06, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
thats what stinks about these plans. I would think you should get between 16 and 18 for your car from the dealer and between 19 and 21 selling out right. Maybe try another dealership. Good luck selling your car.
Old 8/16/06, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea they tried that crap on me when I ordered my 02 F-150 back in 2001. I ended up selling the car for what I owed rather than they adding the "negative equity" on the Truck. I'm doing the same thing with my truck now, I'm selling it to a friend of mine for what I owe on it. Everyone's happy! Well except the dealership of course. he he he
Old 8/16/06, 11:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealer is only going to give you what KBB lists as Good condition for the trade in, with all the options included. The other thing to consider is all dealers get auction sheets sent to me. These are more acurate than KBB, or Edmunds, as it shows exactly what cars sold for the prior week. IF KBB has a car listed for trade-in at 15K, but multiple vehicles that are the same as your trade went through the auctions, and sold for a few thousand $$$ less, the dealer has to take this into consideration when they appraise it. How much did they give you, compared to what KBB trade-in says its worth, if you don't mind me asking?

The one thing that gives the customer an edge with X-Plan, is that the price is the same no matter where you go (locally speaking). The only thing that differs is how much you get for your trade. You can "shop" your trade at several dealers, and whoever gives the best number wins.
Old 8/16/06, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Actually, Jeff's idea is sound....shop several dealers for the best deal on your trade with the x-plan then ask your local dealer to match it - if not the take your business to another dealer....while I understand the "X-Plan" pricing is not the greatest incentive to a dealer, they will still make some profit on the sale and in my book some profit is better than no profit and it's not like the GT/CS is a limited production Mustang or anything......also the dealers get factory incentives and better allotments for higher numbers sold etc.....it would be in their interest to take a "skinny" deal over no deal anyday. Let us know what happens!
Old 8/16/06, 12:22 PM

Wow, I had a lot of good responses here, not sure where to start.

First, they wanted to give me 15,500 today and 14,500 in 8 weeks (figuring on delivery time). So, by that logic, within 30 months, my car will have depriciated to 0. KBB's lowest price on good was 16,800. According to NADA, the average trade is 20,300. Average retail is 21,800. I thought I would list it in the paper for 19,999 (ad price increases if over 20) and expect to get around that ballpark.

I understand the auction price though and good point. But still, I am bringing the dealership money for factory incentives and the profits.

Oh well, private party here I come! Anybody want one???
Old 8/16/06, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you have a CarMax outlet nearby? See what they offer you
Old 8/16/06, 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anthony, I know why they offered you less for the car after 8 weeks. The fact is that the value of trade-ins always changes month to month, hence why the books are out each month. I can give you a better answer why they offered you $1,000 less for your trade by the time the car comes in, if you can tell me where in the US your at? I ask as if your in the northeast, or mid-atlantic region, with a car like the RX-8 (and any other RWD sports car, Mustang included), the season for these cars is from April to July, maaaybe August. If your car is to be in within 8 weeks or so, this woud put the deal finalizing in late October. Not the best time to trade in a RWD sports car, and have it sit on the lot for the whole fall and winter months. Again, this is if your in the East coast, that gets some snow. You always trade in a 4WD in the winter, and a sports car in the spring, to get the most for it.
On a side note, I can't believe that the dealer won't hold steady to the $15,500 number. I have ordered many cars in my 9+ years, and we always stick to the trade value that was given at the time of the deal. The only time we don't is if the vehicle that is being ordered is going to take 12 or more weeks (3+ months) In this long of time, vehicles values do change.
Now, about the value that KBB had, vs. NADA. KBB is the best for pricing out trade in vehicles, and for wanting to sell a car via private party. This is what basically 99% of dealers use for appraisals. NADA is notoriously high, compared to KBB, and thats why they aren't used. nearly as much anymore. The only time a dealer will use NADA, is to book out a used car for the banks to see if it can be financed, since their numbers (wholesale, and retail) are higher than other value sites.
Old 8/16/06, 03:57 PM

I live in Little Rock, AR, so snow is not an issue for me. I do understand that they need to get a nice profit on the used. I just think this particular dealer might have been taking me for a ride. No big deal, still VERY much looking forward to my CS coming in in a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 8/17/06, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I live in Little Rock, AR, so snow is not an issue for me. I do understand that they need to get a nice profit on the used. I just think this particular dealer might have been taking me for a ride. No big deal, still VERY much looking forward to my CS coming in in a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's input.
It happens all the time if you try and do a trade in. The only time that I thought that I got a fair shake on a trade-in was when I traded in ( ) my 95 GT vert. All the other times, you get d**ked around, so I just sold them in the paper. But I think that it might have had something to do with the fact that I was buying my second car within a year from him. Both Z plan buys...

For example, do you think that the dealer would give me more than $500 for my wife's '97 Sable with 180,000 miles on it? No way. Only problem with it is the power window on the passenger side is busted and the cruise control button fell off. No leaks, no slips. Car is very clean otherwise. The tires and wheels are worth more than $500...

Call your local newspaper or run an ad in AutoTrader..
Old 8/17/06, 08:22 AM

Got an ad in the paper now. Thinking about Autotrader... anybody have any good results?
Old 8/17/06, 03:16 PM
V6 Member

Got an ad in the paper now. Thinking about Autotrader... anybody have any good results?
My recent experience is very similar to yours. About 2 weeks ago I visited a local dealer to price out a GT vert/5sp (also Xplan) and to get an estimate on my trade (04 Mazdaspeed Miata). I was told $16K for the trade presuming I turned it in when the Stang arrived, but subject to reappraisal. After deciding on a color combo I went back one week later to do all of the paperwork. I offered to give them my car immediately (it is a 3rd car so I can do w/o) thinking they might give a few hundred more than 16K. They came back with 15K! They also showed me recent auction sheets but I think they were for all Miatas and not the Mazdaspeed version which is more valuable. I walked...I suspect if I had gone forward my trade would have mysteriously fallen a couple thousand in value over the next +/- 8 weeks until the Stang came in. I suppose asking them to make an offer for an immediate trade called their bluff. I don't know if they would have given more if I wasn't Xplan but probably. KBB trade-in for the Miata is $16K to $17K for my mileage and condition.

So I listed on Autotrader earlier this week. No bites yet but my brother-in-law sold a car quickly there a few months ago so hopefully it works out. I'm also going to shop around a couple other local dealers to have my trade assessed. If nothing pops soon I'm thinking I'll order the GT in the Nov/Dec timeframe so it comes in in the spring, and I'll try to trade the Miata then.
Old 8/17/06, 03:27 PM

Zlskrs, that sucks! I just refuse to actually listen to a few of them. I think a few dealers out there are taking advantage of the X-Plan. I would be interested in hearing others.
Old 8/18/06, 09:51 AM

Hey everybody, I have a question about my order. On the sheet, it says FDAF Assessment. Does anyone know what that is? Is that the document assessment fee they arent supposed to charge?

Thanks
Old 8/24/06, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Hey everybody, I have a question about my order. On the sheet, it says FDAF Assessment. Does anyone know what that is? Is that the document assessment fee they arent supposed to charge?

Thanks
It's a charge for Ford Advertsing. It's a legit charge, and if I understand correctly, there's no way around paying it - even with x-plan.
Old 8/24/06, 12:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Try to see if a mazda dealer will buy the car they will have a buyers for it?
Old 8/24/06, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Green Cobra
It's a charge for Ford Advertsing. It's a legit charge, and if I understand correctly, there's no way around paying it - even with x-plan.
DOH!

Originally Posted by boss429man
Try to see if a mazda dealer will buy the car they will have a buyers for it?
Good idea... might try that!
Old 8/24/06, 05:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Zlskrs, that sucks! I just refuse to actually listen to a few of them. I think a few dealers out there are taking advantage of the X-Plan. I would be interested in hearing others.
dealer said he would honer the x-plan then offered me 25k on my trade. The tl's sell for 29and 30k all day long. black on black with the miles I have on my car. I was expecting at least another 1200+. This is a dealership I have been going to for about ten years now.
Old 8/25/06, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
dealer said he would honer the x-plan then offered me 25k on my trade. The tl's sell for 29and 30k all day long. black on black with the miles I have on my car. I was expecting at least another 1200+. This is a dealership I have been going to for about ten years now.
I wonder if Ford can do anything to pressure the dealers NOT to screw us on the trade when using the X-Plan. I know I was thinking about writing to the corporate sales department with my experience.

Quick Reply: X-Plan concern