2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Whats a GT/CS ???

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/07, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats a GT/CS ???

I took my car to 2 shows over the weekend & I wish I had a $1 for every time I got ask that. I wish Ford would had done a better Job on the identification of these cars. I may have some small black stickers made that look like the old CS scripts for the back quarters.
Old 5/21/07, 06:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like the old saying goes...."If you have to ask...." LOL
Old 5/21/07, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by snkchmr
I took my car to 2 shows over the weekend & I wish I had a $1 for every time I got ask that. I wish Ford would had done a better Job on the identification of these cars. I may have some small black stickers made that look like the old CS scripts for the back quarters.
You purchased a relatively limited production model of a popular car and it bugs you that other folks don't know about the limited production model that you purchased. It also seems to bother you to have to talk about your car at a car show.

Is that essentially what you're saying?
Old 5/21/07, 12:06 PM
GT Member

Tha's the way I read it too.... WTF?
Old 5/21/07, 01:29 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm taking my stock CS to a carshow at my workplace. I'm interested in seeing how many questions I get about it.
Old 5/21/07, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

my friend greg t, at work was being obnoxious and asking me what gt/cs stood for... eventually i told him it was ford's way of calling Greg T. a C*** Sucker

he quit giving me crap after that one
Old 5/21/07, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just imagine what I go through

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=158

Old 5/21/07, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

CS = Carroll Shelby....NOT!
Old 5/21/07, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
You purchased a relatively limited production model of a popular car and it bugs you that other folks don't know about the limited production model that you purchased. It also seems to bother you to have to talk about your car at a car show.

Is that essentially what you're saying?
NO

I just thought Ford could have done a better job on logos etc.
Old 5/21/07, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Thats HOT
Old 5/21/07, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok....

what's gt/cs?

great torque/ crappy steering??

Old 5/21/07, 04:40 PM
V6 Member

I am 35 I did not know about GT/CS until I saw the trailer pull up with mine. I just came out to test drive a V6 convertible. with the Pony Package and I fell in love... or lust with that faded strip. The concept of this car is older than me but still respected. Well, I took it home that day and I have researched the car every since. I even cleaned my garage ( ill) to make a space for it) It is special beacuse it comes with great options that most ethusiasts will opt for anyway. i.e wheels, and hoodscoop, body ad ground effects , etc. It is also Special because it pays tribute to a 40 year old car that is part of the Mustang mystique. Some call it the poor man's Shelby. I call it a great compromise made by Ford to get the average buyer in the door and into something Special. We all cannot afford the Shelby's , the Saleen and judging from the fakes or repros I have been seeing, the GT/CS makes a great original compromise. Now once again I am 35, by all rights I should be driving a Honda or Nissan like most of my peers, but I like old things, concepts and designs They build the foundation for something new. The GT/CS is Special beacuse it is a Mustang, and it is a GT. The marketing Guys at ford hit the pitch with this recreation and time will tell if they hit a homerun. I am very proud to be an owner.

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/i/173061748997_0_0.jpg?
Old 5/21/07, 05:49 PM
GT Member

I'm 50, owned a 68 T5 and a 90 GT. I went to the Dealer to consider a Shelby, and realized that it just wasn't the right choice for what I wanted/needed. Afterwards, the Dealer showed me a GT/CS on his lot. I had never heard of a CS, now or back then. At first I was hesitant about a "California" model. I sat in it, started it, and my 68 and 90 came back to me in an instant. Ordered it, ten weeks later took delivery. Still in love after all these years ..
Old 5/21/07, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by theredliner
I am 35 I did not know about GT/CS until I saw the trailer pull up with mine. I just came out to test drive a V6 convertible. with the Pony Package and I fell in love... or lust with that faded strip. The concept of this car is older than me but still respected. Well, I took it home that day and I have researched the car every since. I even cleaned my garage ( ill) to make a space for it) It is special beacuse it comes with great options that most ethusiasts will opt for anyway. i.e wheels, and hoodscoop, lowering springs, etc. It is also Special because it pays tribute to a 40 year old car that is part of the Mustang mystique. Some call it the poor man's Shelby. I call it a great compromise made by Ford to get the average buyer in the door and into something Special. We all cannot afford the Shelby's , the Saleen and judging from the fakes or repros I have been seeing, the GT/CS makes a great original compromise. Now once again I am 35, by all rights I should be driving a Honda or Nissan like most of my peers, but I like old things, concepts and designs They build the foundation for something new. The GT/CS is Special beacuse it is a Mustang, and it is a GT. The marketing Guys at ford hit the pitch with this recreation and time will tell if they hit a homerun.
Unless you had them added on your CS did not come with lowering springs. The front air dam sits 1.5" lower but the suspension is the same on every GT.
Old 5/21/07, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

NO

I just thought Ford could have done a better job on logos etc.

Snkchmr - I think I understand what you are saying - not that you mind telling people what your GT/CS is - but more like it would be nice if Ford had given this LE model a bit more press so people would approach you and say "Oh a GT/CS - cool I heard about those! Many of the folks that comment on mine start by asking - where did you get that stripe kit...which of course the GT/CS is more than just a stripe kit believe me - most of them don't notice the faux gas cap with the "California Special" wording. Would have been nice to have our "own GT/CS" commercial - instead of being a background prop for the V6 Pony Special.
Old 5/21/07, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Me and My GT/CS

[quote=theredliner;922105]I am 35 I did not know about GT/CS until I saw the trailer pull up with mine.

I could easily have gone after the BMW 540 series, or a foreign sports car.. I went to the ford dealer and bought a GT/CS I didn't even expect to buy the Mustang, was actually looking at a plain GT, and in the showroom were two cars. One was the white GT/CS, the other a Shelby. The Shelby was stickered $45, + a $25K markup. The GT/CS was about $31K. I bought the GT/CS.

Why??? Because its American, and an icon. It also helped that it was 20-30K cheaper then the foreign cars. I am happy and get asked all the time what make and model my stang is.. I am 43, and love the car. Thanks Ford.
Attached Thumbnails Whats a GT/CS ???-frontview-1-.jpg   Whats a GT/CS ???-sideview-1-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Patrick0808 (11/13/23)
Old 5/21/07, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

And the VB looks great. I saw the Shelby locked in a garage surrounded by caution tape. Sticker shock is not the word that comes to mind. I always wanted a 1993 Saleen, so much so that I made my 1991 LX Vert look exactly like one from the wing to the side stripes. I even copied the VIN off one in a showrrom to get the windshield lettering (Saleen back in 92 would not sell you one w/o the vin.) The Shelby is hot and it should be , all done up with extra horses and stripes. Now I put my GT/CS right next the Shelby and I am satisfied that I made a smart choice. $26,500 out the door. Maybe I'll take the $35,000 I just saved and come back next year and pick up the 08 GT/CS Vert with cloth top. I can't drive em' both but I **** sure will try. LOL
Old 5/21/07, 08:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
Unless you had them added on your CS did not come with lowering springs. The front air dam sits 1.5" lower but the suspension is the same on every GT.
Thanks for the heads up the post should have read "lowered look". I have edited it.
Old 5/21/07, 11:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am 35 I did not know about GT/CS until I saw the trailer pull up with mine. I just came out to test drive a V6 convertible. with the Pony Package and I fell in love... or lust with that faded strip. The concept of this car is older than me but still respected. Well, I took it home that day and I have researched the car every since. I even cleaned my garage ( ill) to make a space for it) It is special beacuse it comes with great options that most ethusiasts will opt for anyway. i.e wheels, and hoodscoop, body ad ground effects , etc. It is also Special because it pays tribute to a 40 year old car that is part of the Mustang mystique. Some call it the poor man's Shelby. I call it a great compromise made by Ford to get the average buyer in the door and into something Special. We all cannot afford the Shelby's , the Saleen and judging from the fakes or repros I have been seeing, the GT/CS makes a great original compromise. Now once again I am 35, by all rights I should be driving a Honda or Nissan like most of my peers, but I like old things, concepts and designs They build the foundation for something new. The GT/CS is Special beacuse it is a Mustang, and it is a GT. The marketing Guys at ford hit the pitch with this recreation and time will tell if they hit a homerun. I am very proud to be an owner.
+1

Thats HOT
Thank you. I like it!

[quote=DPDIAMOND44P;922226]
I am 35 I did not know about GT/CS until I saw the trailer pull up with mine.

I could easily have gone after the BMW 540 series, or a foreign sports car.. I went to the ford dealer and bought a GT/CS I didn't even expect to buy the Mustang, was actually looking at a plain GT, and in the showroom were two cars. One was the white GT/CS, the other a Shelby. The Shelby was stickered $45, + a $25K markup. The GT/CS was about $31K. I bought the GT/CS.

Why??? Because its American, and an icon. It also helped that it was 20-30K cheaper then the foreign cars. I am happy and get asked all the time what make and model my stang is.. I am 43, and love the car. Thanks Ford.
+2
Old 5/22/07, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Most people asume that the CS meant Carrol Shelby that I have come across ? oh last night Barrett JAckson the guy that bought both vin # 1 Shelby's bought the only Supersnake for 5 million bucks, must be a rerun ?

Quick Reply: Whats a GT/CS ???