2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

TPMS Sensor ???

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/07, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPMS Sensor ???

Ok, so I just put new Black Bullitt Ford Racing Rims on my car replacing the aluminum ones when I was informed by the tire place that they cannot install the TPMS Sensors on the new rims and tires.

So I stop by the service department of my local Ford dealership and they tell me it will cost approximately $135 per tire @ 2.5 hours labor. They also told me I could not disable the sensor which I believe is a load of bull!

My question is do I really need to reinstall the sensors??? On the older cars there was no such thing as a TPMS Sensor and everyone did just fine when they had a flat or low pressure tire.

I am considering putting a small piece of black tape over the indicator light so I don't have to look at it everyday.

What would you do?

Thanks
Rob Omen
Old 10/11/07, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well as for the TPMS sensor it now required on all 2007 + cars and there is no way to turn it off. You just have to hit the reset button to stop the error message. I have the same issue as you but the only problem can come into play is if you trade or sell your car you might have to re-install them. I know the cost of the sensors is around 80.00 each and you can buy the straps cheaper on-line for around 28.00 or so.
Old 10/11/07, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob:
I just put Shelby American Torque Thrust rims with Nitto tires on mine and Discount Tire put on new bands and sensors for me. All I had to do is take it to the dealer to have them calibrate the system, which is done with a little eletronic wand and took less than 5 minutes and the alarms never goes off. It cost me about $28.00 per tire for the sensor bands from Discount Tire. If you don't do this the alarm will drive you nuts. Also once they are calibrated, they do work. I had one tire that was about 1 pound low and the sensor worked.
Hoosier 101 (John Greenwell)
Old 10/11/07, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya thats a load of Sheeeeet Rob. Les Schwabs put new bands on my wheels as well as changed the sensors over. The bands cost $25/each wheel, but they didnt charge for any labor, etc..

Sometimes you dont have to worry about calibrating them again. Atleast thats what Schwabs told me. They have some setup or whatever that tells if the bands/sensors took to your wheels. Mine worked after the swapped em over and I didnt have to have them calibrated from Ford.