2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Tape Stripe repair

Old 10/4/09, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Tape Stripe repair

Anyone have a fix for nicks/trears in the CS tape stipe.

Noticed a rock tear on mine.

Thanks.
Old 10/4/09, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not aware of any tricks to repair the decals but I checked with my local dealer on the cost to replace them. The cost would be 159.00 for each side to replace the decal.

Ron
Old 10/4/09, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

BaltimoreStreetMods.com wayyyy cheaper and the quality is second to none
Old 10/4/09, 09:41 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by kingofsting
I don't see the GT/CS stripes listed there, are you sure they have them?
Old 10/6/09, 02:33 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Try Bob White Decals. I got a set of blue ones to go on my black CS.

Tape Stripe repair-dscf0191.jpg
Old 10/7/09, 07:40 PM

get em painted on that's what I plan for a future project!
Old 10/13/09, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by kingofsting
I agree!
Old 11/1/09, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool We Fixed Ours!

FYI: We had two little tiny rock chips in the GT/CS's driver door decal strip just a foot back from the front. So I cleaned just the decal's damaged area with a small bit of lacquer thinner and a flat toothpick. Then took some flat black lacquer paint and a small 0000 artist's paint brush and just filled them in oh so very carefully. Waited about a week and then put some paint sealent protectant on those areas. Unless you are six inches away, you don't even see that this stripe had ever have been repaired.

Good Luck with this one. CalStang.

Last edited by CalStang'07; 11/2/09 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Added details
Old 11/5/09, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone.

I'll try the lacquer fix first since the damage is small.

In the future, it looks like one of the other options is better than paying Ford $500 for some stickers!!
Old 11/8/09, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced mine with side rocker stripes from baltimore street mods..

they look much better than my invisible flat black oem stripes imo, little cutting and some work with the squeegie. no biggie

Last edited by fdjizm; 11/8/09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11/8/09, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

FD: Got to say those are pretty hot looking stripes on your GT/CS! If one of mine ever gets ruined, really would love those in a silver on our White coupe!! Nice!! What did they cost you? CalStang
Old 11/8/09, 09:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
FD: Got to say those are pretty hot looking stripes on your GT/CS! If one of mine ever gets ruined, really would love those in a silver on our White coupe!! Nice!! What did they cost you? CalStang
came out to 70 bucks per pair. i got and extra pair in the garage just incase they are on their pretty good for over a year now, no peeling no lifted edges either.
Old 11/8/09, 01:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

GT/CS Stipes

I like them on the bottom as your picture shows, sweet.....
Old 11/8/09, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
came out to 70 bucks per pair. i got and extra pair in the garage just incase they are on their pretty good for over a year now, no peeling no lifted edges either.
Thanks for the price feedback! May just have to investigate this out there and get a pair for living in the future world. Great install job on yours! Very nice!!! CalStang
Old 11/8/09, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think they are all that hot; and now he has to deal with the idea that without its factory GT/CS stripes, it's not really a GT/CS any longer. </troll mode>
Old 11/8/09, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those are really slick!
Old 11/9/09, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool

Originally Posted by frank s
I don't think they are all that hot; and now he has to deal with the idea that without its factory GT/CS stripes, it's not really a GT/CS any longer. </TROLL mode>
Frank. Agree with your statement about it no longer looking original. That being said though FD's stripes look more like what I wish Ford had done on this S-197 GT/CS. I know the factory stripe honors the original '68 GT/C's. But it also looks just stuck on the middle of the body. Where as the Shelby-GT striping looks like it belongs. Had Ford done the same looking GT/CS fading dots stripes on the bottom, believe it would have been really great looking IMHO. I have already had both of my factory stripes replaced once, because the were both installed incorrectly from the factory. But this was covered on my new car warranty. See my enclosed picture. Also removed the nose corner stripes, because thought they looked like very cheap stick-ons. CalStang
Attached Thumbnails Tape Stripe repair-2007-woodhouse-mustang-gtcs-064.jpg  
Old 11/9/09, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Frank. Agree with your statement about it no longer looking original. That being said though FD's stripes look more like what I wish Ford had done on this S-197 GT/CS. I know the factory stripe honors the original '68 GT/C's. But it also looks just stuck on the middle of the body. Where as the Shelby-GT striping looks like it belongs. Had Ford done the same looking GT/CS fading dots stripes on the bottom, believe it would have been really great looking IMHO. I have already had both of my factory stripes replaced once, because the were both installed incorrectly from the factory. But this was covered on my new car warranty. See my enclosed picture. Also removed the nose corner stripes, because thought they looked like very cheap stick-ons. CalStang
I think you're right about where Ford should have put the body stripe, for looks. I was just kidding about not being a GT/CS with the stripe in a different location. I doubt that such a thing will ever be really important in a collector's sense; what GT/CS will ever be so collectible that it should be important where the stripe is. Anyone who is serious in that regard will already have all the decals on a shelf in the garage, for the time a full restoration is appropriate.

I'm in favor of easily reversible modifications, figuring that any downstream buyer of my car should have the same opportunities I had: leave it pure stock, or modify it to taste. No biggie to me, but may be to someone.

For instance: I just put my Saleen PJ wheels on the convertible. Easily reversed, but it sure changes the visual character of the car:
Attached Thumbnails Tape Stripe repair-gtcscblkwhlsulv_2033.jpg   Tape Stripe repair-gtcschilrvmtsol_10857.jpg  
Old 11/9/09, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I meant to include this intermediate picture (GT500 wheels and tires):
Attached Thumbnails Tape Stripe repair-gtcscmtsollrvtd1024_1916.jpg  
Old 11/9/09, 05:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I will be the first and only owner of my GT/CS (till i pass it down or something when i die), so i am not worried about resale or collector value, as a matter of fact i am not even concerned with what it is worth as i never had plans to sell it I AM THE COLLECTOR but i can order the original stripes any time and slap them on. even though they were **** near invisible to everyone who looked at the car lol

Last edited by fdjizm; 11/9/09 at 05:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tape Stripe repair