The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   Tape Stripe repair (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/tape-stripe-repair-477540/)

825LTRGT 10/4/09 10:49 AM

Tape Stripe repair

Anyone have a fix for nicks/trears in the CS tape stipe.

Noticed a rock tear on mine.

Thanks.

bztz4m 10/4/09 05:11 PM

I am not aware of any tricks to repair the decals but I checked with my local dealer on the cost to replace them. The cost would be 159.00 for each side to replace the decal.

Ron

kingofsting 10/4/09 07:10 PM

BaltimoreStreetMods.com wayyyy cheaper and the quality is second to none

PTRocks 10/4/09 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by kingofsting (Post 5744111)

I don't see the GT/CS stripes listed there, are you sure they have them?

dly 10/6/09 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try Bob White Decals. I got a set of blue ones to go on my black CS.

Attachment 69434

blumax2007 10/7/09 07:40 PM

get em painted on that's what I plan for a future project!

jjw368 10/13/09 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by kingofsting (Post 5744111)

I agree!

CalStang'07 11/1/09 03:31 PM

We Fixed Ours!

FYI: We had two little tiny rock chips in the GT/CS's driver door decal strip just a foot back from the front. So I cleaned just the decal's damaged area with a small bit of lacquer thinner and a flat toothpick. Then took some flat black lacquer paint and a small 0000 artist's paint brush and just filled them in oh so very carefully. Waited about a week and then put some paint sealent protectant on those areas. Unless you are six inches away, you don't even see that this stripe had ever have been repaired.

Good Luck with this one. :nice: CalStang.

825LTRGT 11/5/09 08:34 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'll try the lacquer fix first since the damage is small.

In the future, it looks like one of the other options is better than paying Ford $500 for some stickers!!

fdjizm 11/8/09 09:24 AM

I replaced mine with side rocker stripes :) from baltimore street mods..

http://i36.tinypic.com/t65b39.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/znslxu.jpg

they look much better than my invisible flat black oem stripes imo, little cutting and some work with the squeegie. no biggie :)

CalStang'07 11/8/09 09:49 AM

FD: Got to say those are pretty hot looking stripes on your GT/CS! If one of mine ever gets ruined, really would love those in a silver on our White coupe!! Nice!! What did they cost you? CalStang

fdjizm 11/8/09 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by CalStang'07 (Post 5759535)
FD: Got to say those are pretty hot looking stripes on your GT/CS! If one of mine ever gets ruined, really would love those in a silver on our White coupe!! Nice!! What did they cost you? CalStang

came out to 70 bucks per pair. i got and extra pair in the garage just incase :D they are on their pretty good for over a year now, no peeling no lifted edges either.

tapd117 11/8/09 01:40 PM

GT/CS Stipes

I like them on the bottom as your picture shows, sweet..... :agree:

CalStang'07 11/8/09 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by fdjizm (Post 5759537)
came out to 70 bucks per pair. i got and extra pair in the garage just incase :D they are on their pretty good for over a year now, no peeling no lifted edges either.

Thanks for the price feedback! May just have to investigate this out there and get a pair for living in the future world. Great install job on yours! Very nice!!! CalStang

frank s 11/8/09 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CalStang'07 (Post 5759535)

I don't think they are all that hot; and now he has to deal with the idea that without its factory GT/CS stripes, it's not really a GT/CS any longer. </troll mode>

825LTRGT 11/8/09 07:43 PM

Those are really slick!:nice:

CalStang'07 11/9/09 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by frank s (Post 5759649)
I don't think they are all that hot; and now he has to deal with the idea that without its factory GT/CS stripes, it's not really a GT/CS any longer. </TROLL mode>

Frank. Agree with your statement about it no longer looking original. That being said though FD's stripes look more like what I wish Ford had done on this S-197 GT/CS. I know the factory stripe honors the original '68 GT/C's. But it also looks just stuck on the middle of the body. Where as the Shelby-GT striping looks like it belongs. Had Ford done the same looking GT/CS fading dots stripes on the bottom, believe it would have been really great looking IMHO. I have already had both of my factory stripes replaced once, because the were both installed incorrectly from the factory. But this was covered on my new car warranty. See my enclosed picture. Also removed the nose corner stripes, because thought they looked like very cheap stick-ons. :nice: CalStang

frank s 11/9/09 10:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CalStang'07 (Post 5759859)
Frank. Agree with your statement about it no longer looking original. That being said though FD's stripes look more like what I wish Ford had done on this S-197 GT/CS. I know the factory stripe honors the original '68 GT/C's. But it also looks just stuck on the middle of the body. Where as the Shelby-GT striping looks like it belongs. Had Ford done the same looking GT/CS fading dots stripes on the bottom, believe it would have been really great looking IMHO. I have already had both of my factory stripes replaced once, because the were both installed incorrectly from the factory. But this was covered on my new car warranty. See my enclosed picture. Also removed the nose corner stripes, because thought they looked like very cheap stick-ons. :nice: CalStang

I think you're right about where Ford should have put the body stripe, for looks. I was just kidding about not being a GT/CS with the stripe in a different location. I doubt that such a thing will ever be really important in a collector's sense; what GT/CS will ever be so collectible that it should be important where the stripe is. Anyone who is serious in that regard will already have all the decals on a shelf in the garage, for the time a full restoration is appropriate.

I'm in favor of easily reversible modifications, figuring that any downstream buyer of my car should have the same opportunities I had: leave it pure stock, or modify it to taste. No biggie to me, but may be to someone.

For instance: I just put my Saleen PJ wheels on the convertible. Easily reversed, but it sure changes the visual character of the car:

frank s 11/9/09 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I meant to include this intermediate picture (GT500 wheels and tires):

fdjizm 11/9/09 05:10 PM

I will be the first and only owner of my GT/CS (till i pass it down or something when i die), so i am not worried about resale or collector value, as a matter of fact i am not even concerned with what it is worth as i never had plans to sell it :) I AM THE COLLECTOR :) but i can order the original stripes any time and slap them on. even though they were **** near invisible to everyone who looked at the car lol