2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Some guy copied my car with a GT lol

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/07, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd reply, but I need to get down to the flea market and pick me up a fake Rolex to wear...
Old 11/5/07, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I'm out.
But they pull me back in.

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Putting a Shelby spoiler on your car is OK, passing it off as a Shelby, which would entail putting on a Shelby emblem, is wrong. Ergo, putting on a CS stripe on a non-CS car is also wrong.
Then why do they sell the S H E L B Y letters.

Obviously though we will have to agree to disagree.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by jacostang
The only problem I would ever have with someone is if they were trying to sell it as something its not.
Exactly, you hit the nail right on the head. And the subject of this post isn't so no harm no foul.
Old 11/5/07, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Then why do they sell the S H E L B Y letters.
Hmm, could it be because people buy them and they make more money? Same reason people sell fake Rolex's. Given the choice between being exclusive and being rich, I'd take rich too...
Old 11/5/07, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW.... The copy cats car IS a V6... It has the newer V6 spoiler, the V6 rear Faux Gas Cap, and thats why you THINK he is copying with the GT emblem being taken off because he NEVER had a GT emblem.. If you realllllyyy want to find out for sure look inside at the speedo, if it goes to 120mph its a sixer.. but im sure it is anyways..
Old 11/6/07, 10:50 AM
CAL
GT Member

Wow, thought this was America. To me, as long as you don't try to sell something (which an informed buyer would check via VIN #), it's YOUR CAR. You bought it, do with it as you want and what makes you happy.

I guess I think a lot different than most. If I saw a copy-cat GT to look like a CS/GT - I'd be flattered......

Wow, there goes the Appearance AfterMarket business...shut off all Shelby, Rousch and Saleen business....unless you buy OEM cars....
Old 11/6/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Nobody is trying to deny someone's right as an American to represent their car as something it never was. Some CS owners just take issue with a V6 with a CS stripe. To me it is irrelevant if you are driving it, or selling it. The stripe labels it as a CS, which it isn't and Shelby emblems label a car a Shelby, while it may not be. Certainly to each his own. Everybody in this forum no doubt has different opinions with possibly the exception of a universal desire to mod and the love of Mustangs. We are just exercising our freedom of speech to express them. Hopefully in a reasonable way...
Old 11/6/07, 07:48 PM
GT Member

Well, to continue to beat the dead horse, there is a difference between swapping in a spoiler, which I did on my GT/CS, or changing paint, or swapping in a bumper. Those items don't explicitly lay claim to the car being a Shelby or a CS. Modding a car has been a long tradition. Making those mods simply makes the car look better for the owner, if that is what they want. Putting a sticker or emblem on it that identifies it as a Shelby or a CS, when it is not, is different. Clearly somebody doesn't get that here. I actually also took off the GT/CS stripe on my car because I don't like stripes or stickers of any kind on my car. But, I do like all the other custom touches, and the VIN, that identifies it as a CS. It's kind of funny that those who believe it is OK to lie about the identify of their cars aren't generally the ones who shelled out extra bucks to have that exclusivity to begin with. Mid life Mustang said it best. Putting a Shelby spoiler on your car is OK, passing it off as a Shelby, which would entail putting on a Shelby emblem, is wrong. Ergo, putting on a CS stripe on a non-CS car is also wrong. Obviously though we will have to agree to disagree.
I didn't think there was a "special vin" that identified a CS/GT. I thought it was an option package, not really any different from other options that you could choose on your Mustang GT... Is that correct? Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the CS, but..... I got a 2007 VB Prem. GT Conv with IUP 2 tone interior, 18" fanblades, top cover, wheel locks, etc.... My car cost the more than one of the CS Stangs I looked at. Is my car any more limited due to the options I chose? What if someone bought the 18" fanblades off ebay (less than the $995 I paid, I would assume), would he be a poser too? Just my .02 worth...
Old 11/6/07, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Nobody is trying to deny someone's right as an American to represent their car as something it never was. Some CS owners just take issue with a V6 with a CS stripe. To me it is irrelevant if you are driving it, or selling it. The stripe labels it as a CS, which it isn't and Shelby emblems label a car a Shelby, while it may not be. Certainly to each his own. Everybody in this forum no doubt has different opinions with possibly the exception of a universal desire to mod and the love of Mustangs. We are just exercising our freedom of speech to express them. Hopefully in a reasonable way...
Did they make any '68 CS/GT in a V6? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought I read in abook that they did?? Anybody?? I agree that maybe they "shouldn't", but it is their car.....
Old 11/6/07, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang05
BTW.... The copy cats car IS a V6... It has the newer V6 spoiler, the V6 rear Faux Gas Cap, and thats why you THINK he is copying with the GT emblem being taken off because he NEVER had a GT emblem.. If you realllllyyy want to find out for sure look inside at the speedo, if it goes to 120mph its a sixer.. but im sure it is anyways..
I think you are right and wrong at the same time, let me explain:

It think it's more likely that this person just swapped decklids with a V6 to get the V6 spoiler ('cause the GT spoiler sucks IMO) and then just slapped on the GT/CS stripe.

Your way they had to:
  1. Swap the V6 grill with a GT grill.
  2. Swap the V6 rear bumper cover with a GT bumper cover.
  3. Install the GT Appearance Hood Scoop.
  4. Install dual exhaust.
  5. Install GT/CS stripe.
I do however agree that to verify all you have to do is check the speedo - 120 should = V6.
Old 11/6/07, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by loneranger68
I didn't think there was a "special vin" that identified a CS/GT. I thought it was an option package, not really any different from other options that you could choose on your Mustang GT... Is that correct? Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the CS, but..... I got a 2007 VB Prem. GT Conv with IUP 2 tone interior, 18" fanblades, top cover, wheel locks, etc.... My car cost the more than one of the CS Stangs I looked at. Is my car any more limited due to the options I chose? What if someone bought the 18" fanblades off ebay (less than the $995 I paid, I would assume), would he be a poser too? Just my .02 worth...
I suppose it depends on how you bought it. One could say that each model is just an options package off of the most basic Mustang if you are ordering it. For me, I am on the X plan and I went in and said I wanted to order a CS. As for cost, it all depends on options. If you order the CS, you can choose every single option available on a GT, and then slap on another couple of thousand for the CS package. So, no other GT would cost as much as a maxed out CS if one wanted it that way. The issue for me is whether or not the car is a Shelby, CS, or in the future a Bullitt, etc. to start with or not. Throwing on a sticker or an emblem doesn't make the car a CS, Shelby, etc. just because you keep adding parts from the original.

If someone really wanted to, they could buy a stripped V6, and then proceed to buy the V8 to drop in, and then replace everything on the car to make it a GT, CS, Shelby, or Bullitt. But what is the point of that? Why not just buy the model in the first place? In the case of the Shelby, the cost is quite high. But, making an exact duplicate of a Shelby is also somewhat cost prohibitive. Making a CS out of a GT is much simpler, but if you are going to buy all the CS parts (bumpers, seats, door panels, emblems, stickers, etc.), you are probably going to spend almost the same as if you bought a CS to start with. So what do some folks do? Buy just the sticker. That seems disingenuous to me.

Trust me here, I'm not anti-modding. I started my car career with a 66 VW Bug that went through many changes during my teens, then went with a 280Z set up nearly full race, to other vehicles and now the Mustang in my much later years. I think modding is great, but I don't like copying an existing model with a few stickers or emblems. The beauty of modding is to customize a vehicle to be unique, not to portray it as another existing model that is is not in my opinion. I've already swapped out the ugly GT spoiler for a GT500 style spoiler. But, I don't try to portray the car as a GT500, it retains the CS badging. I am leaning toward the TruFiber KR style hood as well. But again, it will remain a CS and I won't be putting a KR emblem or sticker on it anywhere.
Old 11/6/07, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by loneranger68
Did they make any '68 CS/GT in a V6? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought I read in abook that they did?? Anybody?? I agree that maybe they "shouldn't", but it is their car.....
According to californiaspecial.com, you could get a 68 CS with "Any regular Mustang engine, option or color available". However, that was then, not now. An interesting side fact I found out was that the CS was only made at the "San Jose", CA Ford plant, which I went to several times long before it became the Great Mall. Actually, Ford asked San Jose to let them build the plant and San Jose said no. They built it in unincorporated Santa Clara County and then talked the local folks into incorporating around the plant into the City of Milpitas.
Old 11/7/07, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I like the copy better
Old 11/7/07, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I wonder how many people will copy the new Bullitt? I'm sure that will make the 7,700 real Bullitt owners a sickly green (pun intended). Are they going to sell a Highland Green GT? That would make it much easier to copy. If not, then a paint job would be in order if someone wanted to remove the emblems and do the performance mods. If only the CS came in a custom color...
Old 11/7/07, 05:46 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
loneranger68, yes, they did sell '68 GT/CS' with a six - straight six back then, not V6.

Saw one at a show here in Vegas a couple weeks ago, they had re-painted it but wanted to keep the straight six because so many GT/CS they saw had the V8 or had been upgraded to a V8.

Here's a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails Some guy copied my car with a GT lol-cs01.jpg   Some guy copied my car with a GT lol-cs02.jpg   Some guy copied my car with a GT lol-cs03.jpg  
Old 11/7/07, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I've always liked the script emblem. I wish they had put that on the new models somewhere. Even if it was stitched into the floor mats.
Old 11/7/07, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I've always liked the script emblem. I wish they had put that on the new models somewhere. Even if it was stitched into the floor mats.
You can always copy it!
Old 11/7/07, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Wouldn't be a copy if it is already a CS, but maybe I should get Bullitt scripts? Ooh wait, better yet, a GT/CS stripe on a Bullitt?
Old 11/17/07, 05:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
I have the opposite issue at my office. One of my co-workers saw a GT/CS at the dealer and liked the interior. He ordered a convertible with the GT/CS package and asked for the stripes to be REMOVED!
That's exactly what I'm going to do. What can I say? I like the seats and fascias. The GT logo delete is a bonus. Nice, clean sides. In white.

If it came with the California Special script logo like the old ones I'd leave it though.

The OP should peel his stickers just to throw the other guy off.
Old 11/19/07, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Originally Posted by SStang
That's exactly what I'm going to do. What can I say? I like the seats and fascias. The GT logo delete is a bonus. Nice, clean sides. In white.

If it came with the California Special script logo like the old ones I'd leave it though.

The OP should peel his stickers just to throw the other guy off.
But I love the stripes...
Old 11/19/07, 07:53 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
So do I, they give the car a little breakage in that panel, plus pay homage to the classics!

Quick Reply: Some guy copied my car with a GT lol