2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Saw my first GT/CS today - Dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/07, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw my first GT/CS today - Dissapointed

The local dealer has a black 5-speed with dove/black interior. They are selling it at invoice. I went to check it out as I haven't seen one yet. My initial impressions were that the hood scoop looked lousy. It had all kinds of gap inconsistencies with the hood and I was hoping it would have been a molded one-piece hood like the original GT350s were. Looked like I could have fastened it on better. Same goes for the side scoops. They seemed attached to the car in the center of the scoop, but on the ends they were not even touching the car. I can imagine all the crap that must collect in these gap areas and how hard it must be to properly clean the car.

What's the difference between the CS hood scoop and the Roush one? Is there a one-piece design available with a seamless scoop? I don't think bondo would hold up on that hood.

Are all the GT/CS cars built like this??? Funny I had to show the dealer that the car had GT/CS side stripes. He didn't even know they were there and was surprised when I showed them to him.

Overall, the car looked great, though - especially with those shiny wheels. Nice design, just gotta work harder on the details.

Troy
Old 1/31/07, 08:52 PM

Mine arrived with no gap issues on any of the scoops. I didn't think I would want the hood scoop, but when you sit behind the wheel, it looks awesome.
Old 1/31/07, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

No problems on my side scoops!
Old 1/31/07, 10:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The scoop you saw on that car is part of the GT Appearance Package, which is an option on both the GT and GT/CS.
Old 2/1/07, 01:40 AM
V6 Member

No problems here either. Overall excellent build.
Old 2/1/07, 05:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 66gtk
The local dealer has a black 5-speed with dove/black interior. They are selling it at invoice. I went to check it out as I haven't seen one yet. My initial impressions were that the hood scoop looked lousy. It had all kinds of gap inconsistencies with the hood and I was hoping it would have been a molded one-piece hood like the original GT350s were. Looked like I could have fastened it on better. Same goes for the side scoops. They seemed attached to the car in the center of the scoop, but on the ends they were not even touching the car. I can imagine all the crap that must collect in these gap areas and how hard it must be to properly clean the car.

What's the difference between the CS hood scoop and the Roush one? Is there a one-piece design available with a seamless scoop? I don't think bondo would hold up on that hood.

Are all the GT/CS cars built like this??? Funny I had to show the dealer that the car had GT/CS side stripes. He didn't even know they were there and was surprised when I showed them to him.

Overall, the car looked great, though - especially with those shiny wheels. Nice design, just gotta work harder on the details.

Troy
Read this thread http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=59952
I just posted my issues with the hood scoop and the **** poor performance of the dealer.
Old 2/1/07, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

The passenger side, side scoop has a little gap at the top (dealer will fix). Otherwise, it's top notch.
Old 2/2/07, 04:26 AM
Bullitt Member

My side scoops are fine, no issues for me. My hood scoop has slight gaps in the rear corners, nothing I would consider as being a problem or a defect. Was it like that when you bought it or are you just noticing it now?
Old 2/2/07, 04:37 AM
Bullitt Member

If you notice there is nothing in the rear corners to keep it secure, more than likely to allow water to escape instead of being collected at the rear of the scoop under acceleration.http://server4.pictiger.com/img/3932...xtpakscoop.php
Old 2/2/07, 05:09 AM
V6 Member

I always thought the scoop was just taped down, but from that pic it looks as if it's bolted on? Is that so?

If it is, then it seems crazy not to open up a hole in your hood to make it functional, seeing as it will already have been drilled for the scoop mounting holes?????
Old 2/2/07, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

It does bolt down, you could make it functional, you would just need to route the cold air into the intake tube.
Old 2/5/07, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

Cool. I've heard that it can get pretty toasty under the bonnet, so rather than acting as a CAI, it was just from the perspective of letting out some of the hot air in the engine bay.

That said, this would lower the engine bay temps? So it's a HAO (Hot Air Outlet) not a CAI

Additionally, I seem to recall hearing that you can get hood lift at speed due to air pressure underneath - this may solve 2 problems in one hit?
Old 2/5/07, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stig
Cool. I've heard that it can get pretty toasty under the bonnet, so rather than acting as a CAI, it was just from the perspective of letting out some of the hot air in the engine bay.

That said, this would lower the engine bay temps? So it's a HAO (Hot Air Outlet) not a CAI

Additionally, I seem to recall hearing that you can get hood lift at speed due to air pressure underneath - this may solve 2 problems in one hit?
IMO, I don't think that temperatures under the hood ever reach critical points. It's a water cooled engine after all. Besides, the hood is not sealed on the edges. Now, as far as the hood providing lift: Some math has to be done to determine the speed you must reach before it actually acts as a chute and nulls-out outter aerodynamics...and, if for some crazy reason it did, the small opening you could create will hardly affect the lift. I'm just guessing
Old 2/5/07, 01:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
IMO, I don't think that temperatures under the hood ever reach critical points. It's a water cooled engine after all. Besides, the hood is not sealed on the edges. Now, as far as the hood providing lift: Some math has to be done to determine the speed you must reach before it actually acts as a chute and nulls-out outter aerodynamics...and, if for some crazy reason it did, the small opening you could create will hardly affect the lift. I'm just guessing
Hey, I'm not saying it will have any 'real' difference, but given that it's there and the holes are drilled - why not!

Worst case, it saves about 0.001lbs in weight
Old 2/5/07, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

Just to echo the post of Tony Alonso, above, the hood scoop is not a part of the GT/CS package. It's the GT appearance package that is generally availabvle on all GTs. So you really aren't disappointed with the CS. You're disappointed with the GT appearance package. So am I. I don't particularly like it on the GT/CS because it makes the whole thing way too busy and spoils the clean lines of the CS. I'd order a car just to avoid having to take that.
Old 2/5/07, 07:47 PM
GT Member

I actually like the hood scoop. I think it provides that big hood a little needed interest. Had I not ordered a GT/CS and got a regular GT instead, I would have been putting racing stripes across that hood. I don't want to put addiditonal stripes on my GT/CS, so I think the hood scoop is a good compromise. What would have been really cool is if Ford used an integrated dual reverse scoop like on the '68 GT/CS.

The scoops on the '07 Shelby GT500 concept would have worked just fine:

Old 2/5/07, 08:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yupper but it must cost more to do the hood like that, but now that's got me thinking of a hood change ?