2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Rear Spoiler - Is it time to get rid of it?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Spoiler - Is it time to get rid of it?

I've been toying with replacing the rear spoiler for sometime now. The one I've got has never reallly pleased me. I spent an hour today looking at a bunch of them at the local Ford dealership, and came to the conclusion that the most attractive look was the Shelby GT, with zippo on the rear deck.
My ride is a vert, which will of course, look different than the Shelby GT coupe. Is there anyone out there who has taken the spoiler off their GT or GT/CS vert? Any thoughts or pics would be appreciated.
Two other concerns: what am I looking to pay for the rework on the holes, and should I be concerned on the Redfire paint being tough to match(build date of June, 2006).

Joe
Old 4/15/07, 08:30 PM
HNT

Just took mine off yesterday. Eventually going with the 3d Carbon ducktail. Just unscrew from under trunk lid. Pull of excess sticky tape then plug. I found small plugs at Pep Boys and used a little silicone. I was to trick this car out but the more stealthy it becomes, the more I like it. I'm even going to paint the calipers black and smoke the lights.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Spoiler - Is it time to get rid of it?-frpphp2-cr.jpg  
Old 4/15/07, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love the look of spoiler delete!

What surprises me is how many people comment on it - even non-Mustang folks.
Old 4/15/07, 09:31 PM
Cobra Member

Do it! I love the spoiler delete.
Old 4/16/07, 10:33 PM
GT Member

I actually think the stock spoiler looks good. I definitely don't think it is as awful as many have stated. However, I much prefer the GT500 spoiler. If I were going to change anything I'd go with a stock GT500 spoiler. Its easy to swap them out too, since the GT500 spoiler uses the same holes as your current spoiler.
Old 4/17/07, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by QuarterHorse
I actually think the stock spoiler looks good. I definitely don't think it is as awful as many have stated. However, I much prefer the GT500 spoiler. If I were going to change anything I'd go with a stock GT500 spoiler. Its easy to swap them out too, since the GT500 spoiler uses the same holes as your current spoiler.

Ditto Skip, I was checking out a GT500 the other day and that spoiler looks better than the stock GT (IMO) anyway. I'll have to give KC a call...wonder if they can be ordered prepainted or if I would need to have it painted
Old 4/17/07, 03:16 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

I am currently in the process of having a GT 500 rear spoiler painted to match my wifes '07 GT/CS vert ( Redfire).

The replacement spoiler in the Ford accessorys catalog fits right back in the stock GT "wing" holes.

Pictures to follow.

TDS
Old 4/17/07, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuarterHorse
Yeah, the stock spoiler does look good. The longer I have the car the more I like it....however, the GT500 is real nice and will likely be the choice if/when I swap out the spoiler...

...waffle waffle...the spoiler-less look is good too although I think the Foxes and SN95s look better with a bare tail than the S197s...
Old 4/18/07, 08:27 AM

I was also looking for a different rear spoiler to replace my factory GT one. I just ordered the shelby GT 500 rear wing from ebay and figured someone else might be interested too. They will paint it to your color code and ship it for $210. Thats the best price I found.

Anyway here is a link to the auction. They should have 9 left.
http://tinyurl.com/2fmu6y
Old 4/18/07, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dans07gtcs
I was also looking for a different rear spoiler to replace my factory GT one. I just ordered the shelby GT 500 rear wing from ebay and figured someone else might be interested too. They will paint it to your color code and ship it for $210. Thats the best price I found.

Anyway here is a link to the auction. They should have 9 left.
http://tinyurl.com/2fmu6y
yup, good deal, I'm bidding on one right now.
Old 4/18/07, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

HELP! I spent some time with a friend yesterday, who's been in the bodyshop business for more than 30 years. I understand that this whole deal is a matter of personal opinion, but.. well, we got to talking about filling and matching the Redfire paint without running into problems of a mismatch. He knows I'm a perfectionist, and says that I'm not going to be happy unless we wind up painting the entire trunk lid, with feathering the paint down onto the sides. What is that going to cost???
All of a sudden, I'm thinking Plan B:the GT 500 spoiler might be more attractive. Do we have any pics of a GT500 spoiler on a Redfire GT/CS?
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks again, Joe
Old 4/18/07, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Semper, i had the same dilemma. decided on the GT500 spoiler and could'nt be happier.

Yo, Check it.........

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=62951
Old 4/18/07, 05:35 PM
V6 Member

I like the GT500 spoiler, but I think I like "spoiler delete" best. I always wondered why one can't do spoiler delete from the factory on a GT/CS.

Speaking of spoiler delete for GT's, it is VERY rare to see one ordered for dealer stock. I frequent Ford dealers here in Houston and often online shop their inventories, and I don't remember the last time I saw a spoiler delete car in stock locally. And I'm talking the Houston metro area, where there are several hundred new Mustangs in stock at any given time. Is that similar elsewhere?
Old 4/18/07, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, because most dealers think that a spoiler is an extra selling point. Why delete it?? They don't understand that there are people that actually like the clean decklid look. I would have got a GT/CS without one if I had the chance, but the GT500 spoiler is a nice fix for the crappy GT spoiler.
Old 4/18/07, 08:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Fast351<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_895432", true); </SCRIPT>

I like the GT500 spoiler, but I think I like "spoiler delete" best. I always wondered why one can't do spoiler delete from the factory on a GT/CS.

I think that's the way Ford wants it to look when they sell them, anything after it was not them ?
Old 4/19/07, 05:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
HELP! I spent some time with a friend yesterday, who's been in the bodyshop business for more than 30 years. I understand that this whole deal is a matter of personal opinion, but.. well, we got to talking about filling and matching the Redfire paint without running into problems of a mismatch. He knows I'm a perfectionist, and says that I'm not going to be happy unless we wind up painting the entire trunk lid, with feathering the paint down onto the sides. What is that going to cost???
All of a sudden, I'm thinking Plan B:the GT 500 spoiler might be more attractive. Do we have any pics of a GT500 spoiler on a Redfire GT/CS?
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks again, Joe
I agree with the bodyman. You are not going to be happy with filling the holes and feathering. Besides, if you did that, you still have to sand the entire trunk lid...feather the paint to cover the work and still clear cote the entire trunk lid...IMO, if I were to do a spoiler delete, I would get a new trunk lid and repainted...or better yet, get a Shelby spoiler.
Old 4/19/07, 01:33 PM

I ordered a Redfire GT/CS vert a couple of weeks ago. I would have preferred a spoiler delete also. Since that was not available, I have ordered the GT500 spoiler. My dealer will be painting and installing the GT500 spoiler prior to delivery. I saw a sonic Blue GT vert with the GT500 spoiler last week. It looked real nice.
Old 4/19/07, 01:48 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI: 2008 order banks currently won't take the spoiler delete option on the GT/CS
Old 4/19/07, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HNT
Just took mine off yesterday. Eventually going with the 3d Carbon ducktail. Just unscrew from under trunk lid. Pull of excess sticky tape then plug. I found small plugs at Pep Boys and used a little silicone. I was to trick this car out but the more stealthy it becomes, the more I like it. I'm even going to paint the calipers black and smoke the lights.
Your ride looks too tough! Mine was already on the lot without the spoiler. I thought about putting on the Shelby spoiler but that rear end looks so d*** good with nothing on it.
Isn't it nice to be able to wash and dry the trunk w/out have to wipe around a spoiler? I got tired of doing that on the 02 I had.
Old 4/19/07, 10:34 PM
Cobra R Member

yeah now that you mention it drying the spoiler for all of 2 secs hurts after a while.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler - Is it time to get rid of it?