2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Purists (Functional vs. Non)

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/07, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhumb
Many obviously don’t seem to care, that the “badazz” faƧade achieved through automotive trompe-l'œil is enough, regardless of what deleterious effect such visual falsehoods might have on a car’s stylistic integrity and credibility.
<o></o>
Wow, what multifariously sophisticated vernacular you have.
Old 3/14/07, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Wow, what multifariously sophisticated vernacular you have.
**** Retentive he is!
Old 3/14/07, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must have just done a my crosswords, I get a bit verbose after that.

In any case, for me and some others, fake is fake is fake, just no getting around that, just something pretending to be what it really isn't. There is just that underlying visual dishonesty, whether you ignore it, discount it or just don't care as long as it creates a surface image, but it's there.

And a fake scoop/spoiler or fake anything is quite different, stylistically, from a hood stripe, chrome strip or something else purely and obviously decorative. This is the critical distinction I think that so many confuse, whether purposefully or not.

As for the bodacious ta-ta comparisons, I would equate the fake hoodscoops more in terms of a stuffed bra -- the ruse falls apart very quickly and obviously up close and personal, and it implicitly presumes the observer to be a chump at some level. This is the cheap, easy and ultimately unsatisfying method to create a very shallow image.

On the other hand, even nominally functional hood scoops like on, say, the GTO, I would equate with implants -- even if not quite the real deal, they stand up to the closest scrutiny on most any significant level that comes to mind (or hand). They basically work on all dimensions the observer may care about and flatters by the presumption of a more discerning participating audience. While harder and more expensive to do, it does ultimately give a deeper, more substantive and satisfying experience.

All in all, a great difference in the quality and substance of the method to create a given image that exemplifies the difference between a fake hood scoop and an even nominially functional one.

Purely decorative items like hood stripes I would equate with jewelery and dresses in that they are nothing more than what they are, stylistic decorations, and aren't even subvertly trying to present a visual lie and pretend they're more than they really are.
Old 3/15/07, 02:56 AM
GT Member

I can't beleive I read this whole thread......

Now I'm sitting here and thinking to myself....My girl has breast implants....my Mustang has scoops....Geee, life is rough.
Old 3/15/07, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by QuarterHorse

Now I'm sitting here and thinking to myself....My girl has breast implants....my Mustang has scoops....Geee, life is rough.
Oh my god!!! You are an infidel!!! ...(this is what rhumb is thinking)
Old 3/15/07, 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by QuarterHorse

I tell you what, my ex had huge hooters and after two babies those things sagged horribly. The implants brought those headlights back to life
Old 3/15/07, 08:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

After reading all the "purists" remarks I will make my last comment.
Once again the "purists" say that if it's non-functional (by their definition of such) that the person who has it installed is trying to "pass it off as functional" or imply that their car is something other than it is.
THIS IS WRONG!!!!!
I do not know ANYONE that tries to pass off ANY side scoop, window scoop or hood scoop (other than the Shaker as that has been a hot topic at times as well) as "functional". They install them to improve their perception of the overall appearance of their car.
As far as trying to pass the car off as something other than what it is, I would venture to say the people installing GT/CS & GT500 parts on their GTs are more guilty of that than the ones who install scoops.
To mod or not mod is a personal choice and neither is wrong, but to say the people who do are trying to "fake" it is just absolutely ludicrous.

I very rarely see a Mustang that is stock or modded that I don't think just looks awesome.
Old 3/15/07, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
After reading all the "purists" remarks I will make my last comment.
Once again the "purists" say that if it's non-functional (by their definition of such) that the person who has it installed is trying to "pass it off as functional" or imply that their car is something other than it is.
THIS IS WRONG!!!!!
I do not know ANYONE that tries to pass off ANY side scoop, window scoop or hood scoop (other than the Shaker as that has been a hot topic at times as well) as "functional". They install them to improve their perception of the overall appearance of their car.
As far as trying to pass the car off as something other than what it is, I would venture to say the people installing GT/CS & GT500 parts on their GTs are more guilty of that than the ones who install scoops.
To mod or not mod is a personal choice and neither is wrong, but to say the people who do are trying to "fake" it is just absolutely ludicrous.

I very rarely see a Mustang that is stock or modded that I don't think just looks awesome.
Yup, what he said
Old 3/15/07, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
THIS IS WRONG!!!!!
I haven't memorized the entire thread, but I don't remember too many opinions indicating that non-functional, style-related items were "wrong"...only that some members don't want them. I'm in that category.

I think some spoilers and scoops look great, some paint colors look great (heck, some other cars look great) but that doesn't necessarily mean it's stuff I would choose. I'm driving a stock-looking gray car - and I'm really glad everyone else isn't!

There really isn't an "argument" here. No one can make a valid argument against what you think looks good.
Old 3/15/07, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
There really isn't an "argument" here.
69 posts...maybe there is an argument...
Old 3/15/07, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
69 posts...maybe there is an argument...
69 "opinions" (71 I guess)
Old 3/15/07, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

69 "opinions" (71 I guess)
opinions that are arguable
Old 3/15/07, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
opinions that are arguable
Well, then, feel free. But it seems that it's YOU that wants make this into an argument.
Old 3/15/07, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, then, feel free. But it seems that it's YOU that wants make this into an argument.
Yup, I'm totally borred Besides, I think it's a pretty good thread to read. A lot of different opinions. Besides, how do you know that whatever is said here wouldn't be taken into consideration for future Mustang designs??? I presonally would like to see a hoodscoop that it is molded into the hood.
Old 3/15/07, 05:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why did I click back on this thread???
Old 3/16/07, 05:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Why did I click back on this thread???
That's because it's the best thread here. It's the thread that will separate boys from men. Let me explain LOL, you know how when you were a boy you didn't have an adam's apple? (i.e. no hood scoop)...and when you become a man all of the sudden you had an adam's apple? (i.e. scoop)...get my drift...
Old 3/16/07, 09:42 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hood scoops = adams apple... man - you've got issues. Me, I like my women without adams apples.

Don't feel bad, Ann Coulter likes your hood scoop.
Old 3/16/07, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Hood scoops = adams apple... man - you've got issues.
My wife will totally agree with you...
Old 3/16/07, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Missed coming in at 69....I don't think that is an opinion or an argument...I usually find that the arguing happens right before that position is taken...

So, the argument.....if something is functional only at speeds and conditions unsafe on the street and you never take the car to the track, is this posing since you are using a functional item in what is, ipso facto, a non-functional manner?

Back to the crosswords.............
Old 3/19/07, 04:05 PM

Fake scoops:

Real scoops:

There is a difference

Quick Reply: Purists (Functional vs. Non)