2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Ordering a GT/CS Vert.....what is the difference

Old 8/10/06, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a GT/CS Vert.....what is the difference

in the cloth top vs. the standard (vinyl?) top? I had an '00 GT vert and it had the thick vinyl top - have not seen a vert Mustang with a cloth top - is this new for '07 and what are the por's/con's over the vinyl vert top?

thx
Old 8/10/06, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
in the cloth top vs. the standard (vinyl?) top? I had an '00 GT vert and it had the thick vinyl top - have not seen a vert Mustang with a cloth top - is this new for '07 and what are the por's/con's over the vinyl vert top?

thx
Yes, this is new for '07. I've never had a cloth top, but from what I hear cloth is nicer to look at and harder to keep clean.
Old 8/10/06, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Mike thanks for the info......I just spoke with my dealer and had a couple of quesitons:

1) I'm being told that on the GT/CS I can't get a cloth top?? I was asking for the redfire wiht the Parchament color top and was wondering if the cloth top only comes in black?

2) I'm being told that I can't get the "My Color" package with the GT/CS?

thx - hope to get this ordered soon!!
Old 8/10/06, 05:25 PM

Mike thanks for the info......I just spoke with my dealer and had a couple of quesitons:

1) I'm being told that on the GT/CS I can't get a cloth top?? I was asking for the redfire wiht the Parchament color top and was wondering if the cloth top only comes in black?

2) I'm being told that I can't get the "My Color" package with the GT/CS?

thx - hope to get this ordered soon!!
1. Your dealer is correct- the parchment top comes only in vinyl. You will have to get a black top if you want the cloth. Bottom line though, you should be able to get the black cloth top on the GT/CS.

2. Your dealer is wrong. When you say the "my color" package I assume you mean the interior upgrade package (IUP). I was able to order my GT/CS with the IUP package, and many other guys on the forum have already received delivery of their GT/CS with the IUP.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 8/10/06, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Mike thanks - you have mail!!
Old 8/10/06, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

The cloth top is awesome, I love it!! I've attached a pic of my car as well as a GT/CS that was on eBay that had a cloth top. The cloth top makes the Mustang look much more expensive looking in my opinion. Like Mike said, you can get it on the GT/CS, but it is only available in black (on all Mustangs). Ditto what he said on My Color as well, that's part of the IUP which you can get with the GT/CS. IUP is available with either "satin" or "charcoal" aluminum dash coverings.
Attached Thumbnails Ordering a GT/CS Vert.....what is the difference-p1010018.jpg   Ordering a GT/CS Vert.....what is the difference-gtcs-white-vert-2.jpg  
Old 8/10/06, 10:06 PM

Mike thanks - you have mail!!
I never got anything from you, email or otherwise- try sending a private message. Thanks

-Mike
Old 8/11/06, 07:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was playing around at KBB, and under the GT/CS option, it says "Larger air intake". Has anybody noticed, or paid attention to this?
Old 8/11/06, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

It's the air dam/ fascia they're referring to, the actual air intake is the same as on the GT.
Old 8/11/06, 02:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Hotlap:

Ive seen a white CS with Parchment/Black interior, Charcoal Iup and cloth black top and it looks great! Im sure redfire would look good in this combo also.The cloth top might be harder to keep clean,but it really gives the vert a expensive look.I would check one out before ordering parchment vinyl,i think you would really like it...
Old 8/11/06, 08:47 PM

Heads up guys, almost all Convertibles sold in Europe (I'm not US-based) have cloth tops, there's (stupid) snobbery over Vinyl tops. But the real facts are: vinyl is so much easier to keep clean. If you get bird droppings on your cloth top you'll spend hours trying to get the stain out. With vinyl it's a wipe away.

Yes, cloth looks good but at the end of the day most of our Mustangs are daily drivers - which means they will suffer from the odd bird...
Old 8/12/06, 07:21 PM
Cobra Member

No problem, just carry one of those fake owls in your trunk and pop it on the roof whenever you're parked
Old 8/13/06, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
The cloth top is awesome, I love it!! I've attached a pic of my car as well as a GT/CS that was on eBay that had a cloth top. The cloth top makes the Mustang look much more expensive looking in my opinion. Like Mike said, you can get it on the GT/CS, but it is only available in black (on all Mustangs). Ditto what he said on My Color as well, that's part of the IUP which you can get with the GT/CS. IUP is available with either "satin" or "charcoal" aluminum dash coverings.
Tres - just wanted to give you a on your ride - that combo looks nice!!
Old 8/14/06, 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

Thank you, and congrats on your order (I saw your other thread)!
Old 8/14/06, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
No problem, just carry one of those fake owls in your trunk and pop it on the roof whenever you're parked
Funny you mention the fake owls....I've got one with the rotating head on my patio and now there's bird poop on it's head worked better when I moved it around every other day - but I get busy and forget to do that.
Old 8/14/06, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
Hotlap:

Ive seen a white CS with Parchment/Black interior, Charcoal Iup and cloth black top and it looks great! Im sure redfire would look good in this combo also.The cloth top might be harder to keep clean,but it really gives the vert a expensive look.I would check one out before ordering parchment vinyl,i think you would really like it...
I agree on the Expensive look, but my neighbor has a T bird with a black cloth top, says it's like velcro, everything sticks to it. I went with the parchment top, 2 reasons, 1 lighter color, had a dark green car, had to run the a/c anytime the temp got over 70. 2. I do not have a garage, and do have a lot of trees, needed something easier to keep clean. IMO.
Old 8/19/06, 12:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
I agree on the Expensive look, but my neighbor has a T bird with a black cloth top, says it's like velcro, everything sticks to it. I went with the parchment top, 2 reasons, 1 lighter color, had a dark green car, had to run the a/c anytime the temp got over 70. 2. I do not have a garage, and do have a lot of trees, needed something easier to keep clean. IMO.
Doug I hear ya.....mine is going to be a "garage baby" so it should be easier to keep the top in good shape