2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

My Baby Got Cut

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/06, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Baby Got Cut

My wife woke me up really early this morning to tell me that my car alarm was going off. Some scumbag put a 10" cut in my top on the driver's side. The alarm worked, though, and scared him off. He never got into the car. Makes me want to do things that could get me in trouble.
Old 11/16/06, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Theft and/or vandalism is a unnerving crime.
Old 11/16/06, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

That sure is frustrating....and for what? Change in your console, a factory head unit, a few personal items - I've got news for car thieves...not very many folks keep over $5.00 in change in their cars - nuts to break into a vehicle these days - especially for so little gain

Now you have to go through all the hassle of having a new top installed - keep us posted on how it goes - I always wondered how hard it is to have a new vert top installed.

Is your alarm the factory "active" alarm? Nice to know those motion sensors are working...hang in there hopefully your vert will be fixed as good as new in no time.
Old 11/16/06, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

That sucks! Sorry to hear your Vert was damaged!
Old 11/16/06, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Vandilism is Very common with mustangs. When my brother's friend first bought his stock V6 back in 05, there were three accounts of it. Its sometimes a shameful world we live in. A good portion of people view mustang owners as ego maniacs. Thats why convertibles are too risky of a purchase I'm afraid unless they are garage kept and driven rarely. Some advice for you.

1. Try not parking next to another car where the door can hit your car as best as possible.
2. Keep a camera inside your glove box so that you can immediately take pictures after the damage is done.
3. Avoid taking her to big time events, sports, concerts, etc.....sure thing to have something happen to it.
4. If you don't have access to a garage, buying a cheap cover has worked well to have people not notice it.

Some common tips, just my two cents. Trust me though I'm super worried about it myself wheh my car comes in. Part of me has given into the fact that something eventually is gonna happen and we just have to swallow it and move on.

My mother had the third row seat stolen in her Seqouia when the car was parked in her driveway. What kinda sick bastards do that?

Good luck, I hope everything turns out well for you and all 'Stang owners.
Old 11/16/06, 09:52 PM

I talked to a local dealership, and also to my mom who works for a local collision repair chain. It seems they all use outside vendors who are more specialized. I got a quote from one of them for $2,375 for a new vinyl top and headliner with labor. A cloth top is $250 more. Luckily for me, my comp deductible is only $100. Now I need to decide between vinyl and cloth, again.
Old 11/16/06, 09:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCSblack
My mother had the third row seat stolen in her Seqouia when the car was parked in her driveway. What kinda sick bastards do that?
!!!! That made me laugh out loud! Sucks, but you got to admit thats pretty funny. I can just picture two guys smokin the bong across the road in their little beat up Honda,
1st guy: "What should do we, hehehaha. cough hack puke"
2nd guy: "Lets steal the third row seat from that motorcyc---, tuck, I mean truck."
1st guy: "KO"

Oh and Bump, really sucks man, hope ya get her patched up soon
Old 11/16/06, 10:16 PM
Number Cruncher

Bump, you have my sympathies.
I live in fear of this happening to my vert, and my baby is garaged most of the time.
Guess that's what we buy insurance for, but it still sucks...
Old 11/16/06, 10:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
That sure is frustrating....and for what? Change in your console, a factory head unit, a few personal items - I've got news for car thieves...not very many folks keep over $5.00 in change in their cars - nuts to break into a vehicle these days - especially for so little gain

It wasn't the small stuff they wanted, it was the CS......
Old 11/16/06, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

CaliforniaCSblack writes-

1. Try not parking next to another car where the door can hit your car as best as possible.
2. Keep a camera inside your glove box so that you can immediately take pictures after the damage is done.
3. Avoid taking her to big time events, sports, concerts, etc.....sure thing to have something happen to it.
4. If you don't have access to a garage, buying a cheap cover has worked well to have people not notice it.

Some common tips, just my two cents. Trust me though I'm super worried about it myself wheh my car comes in. Part of me has given into the fact that something eventually is gonna happen and we just have to swallow it and move on

-----------------
I'm not really sure of the tone of that message as it was just some tips. If you're car is worse driving it, then we're all screwed. I've also read people replacing their tops up to 3 times. Too many losers in this world. Sorry Bump....

I apologize for the tone of my last post and due to that I have decided to edit the post-
In regard to your tips on keeping your car safe-
Parking away from other cars as much as possible, I've done that since the 1st day I brought the car home, and in almost two years I haven't had any problems in parking lots.
-------
Carry a camera all the time-that's a good idea not only for vandalism damage but for traffic accident documentation.
-------
Leave the car at home-As I said before I only have one car (Mustang) so if I want to go to a sporting event or concert I have no choice. I just take the same precautions as I do all the time when I park my car.

I've had my Mustang since 12/28/04 and have had no problems of vandalism or parking lot damage...I guess I'm one of the lucky people here
Old 11/16/06, 11:09 PM
V6 Member

I'm not really sure of the tone of that message as it was just some tips. If you're car is worse driving it, then we're all screwed. I've also read people replacing their tops up to 3 times. Too many losers in this world. Sorry Bump....
Old 11/16/06, 11:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bump
My wife woke me up really early this morning to tell me that my car alarm was going off. Some scumbag put a 10" cut in my top on the driver's side. The alarm worked, though, and scared him off. He never got into the car. Makes me want to do things that could get me in trouble.
Bump my vert has a cloth roof and other than in rain, which I try to avoid, my car is as quiet as a coupe. I've heard many other such owners say the same. I also hear that the cloth roofs last longer and don't shrink over time, apparently that is not so with vinyl. Check with the upholstery shop but I'm betting cloth is worth the extra cost. I used to make vinyl tops for boats -- I'm a retired upholsterer -- and shrinkage was often a problem over the years wear. Sorry to hear some coward is too lazy to work for his/her money. I hope you are back on the road quickly.
Old 11/16/06, 11:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to here that...My 95 Mustang GT had the drivers door bashed in at home...Glass every where and nothing taken...No other car around was touched... Some people are sick...
Old 11/17/06, 11:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Bump sorry to hear Frustrating to say the least ! I'm curious was there anything at all left inside your car that may have appeared tempting to that sick duck ? or was it just blaintant vandalism ? Thanks for sharing hopefully we can come up with an idea other than me I'd use a Tazer , but then the tides would turn in the vandles favor ! Grrrr.
Old 1/3/07, 07:09 AM

The new top is on. I decided to go with a cloth top. I was really surprised to find out that the dealers and collision shops do not do covnertible tops; they all use upholstery shops. The total bill was $2,083. I ended up being out-of-pocket $183, but upgraded to cloth from vinyl.

I have a question for cloth top owners. When your top is down, can you see the cloth flapping a little bit with the wind? My vinyl top had no movement. I don't know if the new top is not tight enough, or if this is a difference between cloth and vinyl.
Old 1/3/07, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

Exclamation Cloth top on my GT/CS

Bump my GT/CS vert is also cloth and though it is not drum tight it is very snug with absolutely no wrinkles. I'm not sure how you can tell if the top is flapping unless you hear it but I have no indication of movement with mine. I don't know if I could tell from the inside because of the inside liner which is also quite tight. It sounds like yours may be a little big and if so at that price it should be fixed. Good luck with it.

All smiles all the time with a GT/CS
Old 1/3/07, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The new top is on. I decided to go with a cloth top. I was really surprised to find out that the dealers and collision shops do not do covnertible tops; they all use upholstery shops. The total bill was $2,083. I ended up being out-of-pocket $183, but upgraded to cloth from vinyl.

I have a question for cloth top owners. When your top is down, can you see the cloth flapping a little bit with the wind? My vinyl top had no movement. I don't know if the new top is not tight enough, or if this is a difference between cloth and vinyl.
I will hope to let you know by the end of the month or early February on the Cloth Top.
Old 1/3/07, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Comox
Bump my GT/CS vert is also cloth and though it is not drum tight it is very snug with absolutely no wrinkles. I'm not sure how you can tell if the top is flapping unless you hear it but I have no indication of movement with mine. I don't know if I could tell from the inside because of the inside liner which is also quite tight. It sounds like yours may be a little big and if so at that price it should be fixed. Good luck with it.

All smiles all the time with a GT/CS
Look in your rear-view mirror when the top is down and see if the cloth is moving some. The company does warranty their labor for one year and the top itself for three years. I just hope that I don't have to hassle with taking it back to drop off and pick up, again.
Old 1/4/07, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's why I decided to go with a hardtop. Same thing happened to me years back with a brand new Alfa Spider I had. I woke up christmas morning to find a huge cut on the top. That was one expensive x-mas gift !!!