Search this Thread

Old 8/24/06, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom, I totally agree with your post.
Old 8/24/06, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Just a thought about the wheel weights....maybe they need that many to balance the wheel after the Tire Pressure Sensor is strapped on the wheel. This would only affect the '07's but I believe that's what most of us have that have mentioned the number of weights.
-Chip in SC
Old 8/25/06, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ipchay61
Just a thought about the wheel weights....maybe they need that many to balance the wheel after the Tire Pressure Sensor is strapped on the wheel. This would only affect the '07's but I beleive that's what most of us have that have mentioned the number of weights.
-Chip in SC
Chip - interesting - I didn't realize the '07's had a tire pressure sensing system...is it monitored via the message center?

thx
Old 8/26/06, 04:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Chip - interesting - I didn't realize the '07's had a tire pressure sensing system...is it monitored via the message center?

thx
Yep, that's where the "Low Tire Pressure" warning is. I've already had it work for me.
(see link - http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=51528 )
-Chip in SC
Old 8/26/06, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
the engine is rock solid I will have to say that about these cars
Old 8/29/06, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would have to see that proven because I see plenty of 2003 Toyota's traded in for 2007's all the time. The point is that if American cars were designed to last 5yrs and import care were made to last 10yrs and the average American trade their car in after 4 does it really matter? Yes the interior could be better (Ford stop using hard plastic where the joints connect and we wont have rattles) and the rear axel area SHOULD be protected but even the imports have quality issues these days. I could tell you all the bad luck my family has had with Toyota, but just saying we have had/have serious mechanical problems is enough. Point is I owned an import and unless the American car makers all stop making cars I will never buy an import again. What Ford should do is not just increase the quality but crack down on the dealer service departments, half the reason our cars are in the shop for 5+ days is the dealer screws around too much. Also if the customer has a problem that matches a TSB the "service manager" does not need to put his big *** in your car to test it, give it to the tech perform the TSB and be done with it.
Agree 100% there is alot of American bias out there and it is kinda sickening. If a car isn't perfect its FORDS fault I disagree the Dealers job is to make it right!
I am truley sorry that you paid 30K for a car and you dealer didn't bend over backwards to help you more but he should have inspected it better for sure. Good luck and enjoy your $30k mustang that most of us would love to have.....
Old 9/3/06, 03:34 PM
GT Member

I am thinking of using one of the rust encapsulator products on the rear axle. Leaves a black finish. Anyone try this yet? I was also dissappointed with some of these minor touches.
Old 9/3/06, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Jeff, I feel your disappointment...I, too, am just a few years older than you and I decided to trade in my '02 V6 Stang which had been my daily driver for the past 3 years (prior to that I've had a '95 V6 Coupe, '89 GT, and an '87 LX 5.0). My weekend (fun) car is an '01 Vette Coupe (the Garage Queen)...so when I picked up the '06 Stang GT about a month ago I knew it was really just going to be my work vehicle...Eventhough I went through the car with a fine tooth comb ( I even prepped it myself...no buffer ever touched the car)...I discovered a couple of quality faults: 1) My right front fender sticks out about a eighth of an inch so that when looking down the car from the rear right side you can plainly see it doesn't line up with the door...but the one that really got me was (2) my right rear quarter window -- the lower forward corner of the window sticks out also about an eighth of an inch and you can plainly see it when looking down the passenger side of the on the right side (almost like a small "air brake" -- hehehehehe --fortunately it's not leaking and I don't hear any whistling noises at high speed). I'm in the process of trying to get Ford to replace the quarter rear window (trying to pry it out will definitely scratch the window frame -- so breaking the window (and replacing it), while covering up the paint, is the real only option according to one of the top window installers in my area. I don't even want them messing with the door...I'm concerned that they may make it look worse.

I agree, for a $30K car those are the little details that make a difference and I certainly expected a bit more quality (to think that '87 LX 5.0 only cost about $13K back then...in the meantime, I try not to compare it to the Vette...however the extra $25k for it does get you definitely a bit more quality, performance and looks. It's too bad, because I really like the Stang, too. Some dealers are good at fixing the plant's mistake, some are not. However, I feel that quality control definitely needs to be better where they are manufactured. Someone dropped the ball in releasing them. They should hire one person to just look down the sides of the vehicles to spot these kinds of embarrassing workmanship. They probably have lasers that can detect mis-alignment in this day and age.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the Mustang...owning two of America's Sportscars is definitely a thrill and I should be thankful for that.

Hope you'll enjoy your new ride.

P.S. As a side note, I don't know who was installing the windows and/or doors that day at the plant on the passenger side...they must have had a little too much fun the night before.
Old 9/3/06, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

its not just Ford... In 2001 i bought a new pontiac transam and it also had a rusty axle. In addition, the pop up headlights weren't aligned. During the first week the headlight cover panel on one side worked itself loose and jammed thus preventing the light from opening. It scuffed and scratched up the paint on the headlight cover where it jammed with the hood.

my complaint with my 07 GT is the faulty TPS.
Old 10/18/06, 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by semperfi65
1. I was one of those folks who fell for GT/CS being 1.5" lower (w/FRPP suspension kit. I wonder how many of us there were when the first reports began circulating?
2. I've never liked vinyl vert tops.
3. I was planning on upgrading to 18" (from 17") wheels and tires, but was not pleased with the cash exchange to trade.

Hey Semper Fi, did the 18" wheels give a harsher ride? I haven't driven an '07 but I did take an '06 GT coupe 5-speed and a '06 GT vert auto out on the same day for test drives. I'm sold on a GT 5-speed vert. I didn't realize that the GT/CS sat lower from the factory. Does the GT/CS come with the GTA mufflers? What do you use to keep the cloth top clean?

[added] I went back and read the '07 sales pub and it says that the front diverter is 1.5" lower. Boy I've got to get used to this forum, all my other forums automatically subscribe you to the thread when you post.

PS Is 65 the year you joined or your birth year? If it's the year you joined you beat me by 1, if it's your birth year then I'm the old corps

TIA
BB

Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine.
Semper Fi
Old 10/18/06, 09:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viper98
I am wanting new buyers to be aware that Ford Quality is NOT #1. For $30,000++ dollars, I expected a lot more.
If it were a BMW for $30,000+ you could expect it to be 2 to 3 years old and and used and have 20,000-30,000 miles on it. just an opinion , Congrats and I am sure you will enjoy when you work out the things that are bothering you.
Old 10/19/06, 07:25 AM

Well after a couple of months, I have worked a few things out but am so disappointed in the banging of the front (and possible) rear end every time I go over small expansion joints or bumps in the road. Sounds like the shock is hitting or wheel is loose. I took it in for service and explained that an earlier TSB was put out on these but that was quite a while ago. My service advisor told me that he checked with Ford and nothing has been issued and was told that this was the "UNIQUE CHARACTORISTICS OF THE MUSTANG!" What a bunch of BULL!! SO anyway I paid $30,000 to listen to this this clang everytime I drive it!! I will probably have to buy a new set of Monroe struts and shocks and install them myself in order to fix this problem as Ford certainly doesn't want to be "Customer Service #1
Other than that I like the looks of the car and it gets lots of compliments. Too bad I have to tell people how crummy my service with Ford is.
Old 10/19/06, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
... My service advisor told me that he checked with Ford and nothing has been issued and was told that this was the "UNIQUE CHARACTORISTICS OF THE MUSTANG!" ...
I'm just a dumb ol' ex Marine with very little patience when it comes to clipboard jockeys with smart responses.

If this had happened to me I would have immediately gone to the service manager and requested that he/she go for a ride in my car to demonstrate the problem. Diplomacy is the rule here, not yet time to go marking time on peoples foreheads. Had I gotten the same resonse from the SM I would ask them to go get the keys to all of the shiny new mustangs on their lot and demonstrate that it is an inherent problem with this model. My next step would be to see the dealership GM and also request an appointment with the factory service rep. I would also make sure that I had documentation on the service visit. If there are other dealerships, I would also take it to them as well, again keeping all documentation. Once the pile gets high enough for the lemon law I would be off to a lawyers office. Now it's time to mark time on peoples foreheads.

BB

Semper Fi, Do or Die, Oooorah
Old 10/19/06, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96
Hey Semper Fi, did the 18" wheels give a harsher ride? I haven't driven an '07 but I did take an '06 GT coupe 5-speed and a '06 GT vert auto out on the same day for test drives. I'm sold on a GT 5-speed vert. I didn't realize that the GT/CS sat lower from the factory. Does the GT/CS come with the GTA mufflers? What do you use to keep the cloth top clean?

[added] I went back and read the '07 sales pub and it says that the front diverter is 1.5" lower. Boy I've got to get used to this forum, all my other forums automatically subscribe you to the thread when you post.

PS Is 65 the year you joined or your birth year? If it's the year you joined you beat me by 1, if it's your birth year then I'm the old corps

TIA
BB

Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine.
Semper Fi
Bob, you are definitely an old fart, and unfortunately, I do beat you by one year, so I just might be an older fart than you. Hey, we've got a Birthday coming up!

Back to the thread - the ride on 18" wheels is much more comfortable. There is a difference in suspension between the coupe and the convertible, and the coupe feels much more firm than the vert. Go with the 18"s.

As delivered from the factory, 07 the GT/CS mufflers are deeper, and to me much more attractive than the 06 GT I had. I was completely satisfied until I drove a GT-H with the FRPP GTA mufflers. No drone, much more satisfying across the board. The GTA mufflers are now on my vert, along with the X-Pipe; and now I have the sound package which is perfect for me! In addition, that 4" exhaust pipe fills the cutout perfectly.

I've had several cloth top verts thru the years, with a couple of vinyl tops as well. Try using just plain warm water, with wash cloth to remove any bird droppings as necessary. The vert has always stayed in the garage during winter with a cover on. Salt spray is terrible for cloth tops! Vinyl tops seems to show wear after 18+ months.

Best of Luck, Semper Fi! Joe
Attached Thumbnails Ford Quality NOT #1-img_3180.jpg   Ford Quality NOT #1-img_4121.jpg   Ford Quality NOT #1-img_4139.jpg   Ford Quality NOT #1-img_3185.jpg  
Old 10/19/06, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

How about you find a place on the road near your dealership that makes your car perform in this manner. Take a new one for a test drive and verify that the new one does not. Take the service manager out for a ride in both and show him. I would also invite my salesman along for the ride.
Old 10/19/06, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like a great plan to me! Please keep us posted...
Old 10/19/06, 05:54 PM

Just to let the Inquiring Minds know. I talked to my salesman who verified that he has driven 2 or 3 other new Mustangs that did the same as mine and he also verified it with the manager. The Manager is the one who gave me the bull story. SO I am now waiting for the mechanic who is trying to help me get to the proper channels since the Service Manager is pretty worthless. Now I hate the thought of leaving the car with these bunch of clowns only to come back and find dents and dings in the car. Sometimes it get worse before it gets better. Just biding my time and collecting paperwork.
Old 10/19/06, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Just to let the Inquiring Minds know. I talked to my salesman who verified that he has driven 2 or 3 other new Mustangs that did the same as mine and he also verified it with the manager. The Manager is the one who gave me the bull story. SO I am now waiting for the mechanic who is trying to help me get to the proper channels since the Service Manager is pretty worthless. Now I hate the thought of leaving the car with these bunch of clowns only to come back and find dents and dings in the car. Sometimes it get worse before it gets better. Just biding my time and collecting paperwork.
Is there a second dealer close by that you might have better luck with?
Old 10/19/06, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

[ The vert has always stayed in the garage during winter with a cover on. Salt spray is terrible for cloth tops! Vinyl tops seems to show wear after 18+ months.

Best of Luck, Semper Fi! Joe[/quote]

what type of wear for the vinyl are you talking about? I am just curious for my benefit. thanks
Old 10/20/06, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by st06vert
[ The vert has always stayed in the garage during winter with a cover on. Salt spray is terrible for cloth tops! Vinyl tops seems to show wear after 18+ months.

Best of Luck, Semper Fi! Joe

what type of wear for the vinyl are you talking about? I am just curious for my benefit. thanks[/quote]
Bleaching or fading from the elements, often from auto car washes, or from just sittting outside with whatever elements are in your enviroment.
My complaint is probably more from the sun, which at times can bake on a stain from anything that gets on your top. The neighbor who is spraying his lawn or shrubs in the wind. The guy spraying his deck, and could care less about the breeze lifting the chemicals onto to your car. Never put that beverage cup on your roof while opening your door. Bird droppings are not good on cloth, nor on vinyl that some owners don't bother to take care of immediately.
Often times the top is faded by just plain owner ignorance. Have you ever witnessed a neighbor wash, wax, or polish their new(or old) car out in the mid-day sun? Not a good idea. For me, the hardest top to take care of was a 65 Corvette roadster, black, with black interior, black hardtop, but with a white vinyl top. She was sharp looking, right up until I spilled coffee on her. I was alot younger then, and then I learned another lesson - bleach only made it worse!

Quick Reply: Ford Quality NOT #1