2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Ford Quality NOT #1

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/06, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Quality NOT #1

Let me start off by saying I am over 50 years old and I have purchased numerous new cars over the years.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
My wife loved the CS/GT so we ordered a black one. In less than 30 days it arrived. Upon inspection at its arrival I found the left front fender to be sticking out ¼” from the front door edge. (had to realign fender)
<o></o>
The wheels have enough wheel weights on them to sink the Titanic. (Guess they can’t take the time to rotate the tire on the wheel to properly distribute the weight)
<o></o>
The front license plate bracket was not located on the car anywhere!! ( So I fabricated my own bracket so the license plate would fit between the bumper openings NOT on the bumper)
<o></o>
On the way home I felt the rear end was very noisy and harsh. I inspected the springs to see if shipping blocks were still installed. (None) What I did find was about 20 decal stickers hanging all over the suspension parts (which I removed). The worst part was the fact there is no paint, sealer, coating, ZILCH, on the rear axles, driveshaft, weld joints, and other small parts. (So I spent the next two days painting the underneath with black Rustoleum paint).
<o></o>
When I ordered the Mustang about a month ago, I also ordered a Homelink RearView mirror. It finally arrived 2 weeks after the car. Only to find, Ford sent the wrong mirror!
<o></o>
The other changes I made was to install MRT Hood Struts and throw away the cheap prop rod. I also added the chrome Corral in the grille.
<o></o>
I am wanting new buyers to be aware that Ford Quality is NOT #1. For $30,000++ dollars, I expected a lot more.
<o></o>
Viper98
<o></o>
Old 8/18/06, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man

i think i should go outside and check my car better
Old 8/18/06, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Some of your issues are quality, and some are not.

The Homelink Mirror is not available for the 2007 Mustang. I took delivery of my 07 on June 28th. The Homelink mirror on my 06 Mustang GT was to be swapped into the 07. The dealer discovered that the new wiring for the 07 required an adaptor. I'm told that it will not be available till September. Quality is not the issue, the dealer assured me it would not be a problem. My Homelink mirror is still sitting on my workbench at home.

The front license plate. It is up to the dealer to order; order code is (79V or H?), let me check on this. If it's not on the car, blame the dealer, not Ford. Oh, and some folks are unhappy with that (i'm one of them), because they would just as soon Not have a plate on the front.

I feel your pain on the front hood struts, but again that's not a quality issue, they work just fine for me. My complaint would be for an engine compartment light. Quality-no, convenience, YES.

A local tire dealer (also a friend) took a look at one of my wheels (I'm assuming the same as yours),loaded with weights. While three of the four are fine, one is not. His statement was that is the nature of the beast for that type of wheel. I'll leave that complaint to the manufacturer (which is not Ford) as to quality.

I'm not a big believer in factory coating of underneath components. I believe that we may have a more Quality concern over underneath openings and gaps near the front and rear wheels. Has anyone else seen that discussed in a new thread? If not, I'll try to find it again this weekend. This IS A Quality issue.

As to the gap with the fender, I'd be upset too. My hope here is that the dealer made it right for you and your wife. Hang in there and enjoy the car. I think that it is alot of car for +$30,000.
Old 8/18/06, 02:57 PM

Well I guess the Ford Accessories are to blame for the mirror. It has the mirror advertised on the web site. My dealer may also be partly to blame as he never looked into this either. I appreciate the heads up!!

Your right about the license plate not wanting it installed. I am glad it wasn't at this point but my dealer informed me that all his vehicles are ordered with it because Ohio is a 2 plate required state.

I have had lots of mags wheels in the past but never as many wheel weights installed on them. My one front tire has more than all the weights on ALL my aluminum wheels on my Viper. May be manufacture problem but Ford needs to address this!!

I too am not a lover of undercoating. But I don't like the idea of raw metal and raw welds out in the opening. As soon as water hits these, you get instant rust!

Otherwise with the small changes I made I really like the car.

Hey Touring, I see we both have the same likeness for the color BLACK!!
Nice Choice!!
Old 8/18/06, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I think thats one of the sadest things now a days, the good ol hood prop. Sad. Another sad thing it the way the air filter box is mounted. One more screw would hold that thing solid. screws are costly. The brake fluid cap is anothe one thats kinda sad. I have been reading they leak or at least some of them do.
Old 8/18/06, 04:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Viper98
<O></O>
<O
The front license plate bracket was not located on the car anywhere!! ( So I fabricated my own bracket so the license plate would fit between the bumper openings NOT on the bumper)
<O
<O></O>
The GT/CS has a larger air intake in the lower front grill, But covering it with the license plate kinda defeats that purpose > I too live in a state that requires 2 plates, I would think the dealer could mount a factory one where it belongs with out a problem. IMO.
Old 8/18/06, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mustangs have used prop rods since 1979 - this is not new.
I too was disappointed with the lack of paint on the rear axle housing.
Old 8/18/06, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
The brake fluid cap is anothe one thats kinda sad. I have been reading they leak or at least some of them do.
You'll be interested to know I had the same problem on my 1997 F-150, good to know Ford is making Bold Moves to fix this kind of stuff.
Old 8/18/06, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

My 07 with 64W wheels have a lot of weights too, but I attributed this to the fact that they're using thin adhesive backed weights instead of the heavier rim weights. I don't think there's that much weight there if you actually peeled them off and weighed them, it just looks like a lot because it takes so many of them to achieve the same balance as the heavier versions.

I really like the Mustangs and while there are some areas where I would like to see higher quality, overall I think they're working to keep the price point down. It's hard to make everyone happy; you don't like the lack of paint on the undercarriage parts, I don't like the goofy Christmas tree fasteners (I want parts to be screwed or bolted!), another guy complained about the chrome gauge bezels (which I happen to love), someone else didn't like the armrests, etc. You see where I'm going, everyone has their pet peeves and one person's peeve is something another person could care less about. So while we all have our nitpicks, I think overall they struck a good balance.
Old 8/19/06, 12:00 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by shatter
You'll be interested to know I had the same problem on my 1997 F-150, good to know Ford is making Bold Moves to fix this kind of stuff.
Old 8/19/06, 12:07 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
I really like the Mustangs and while there are some areas where I would like to see higher quality, overall I think they're working to keep the price point down. It's hard to make everyone happy; you don't like the lack of paint on the undercarriage parts, I don't like the goofy Christmas tree fasteners (I want parts to be screwed or bolted!), another guy complained about the chrome gauge bezels (which I happen to love), someone else didn't like the armrests, etc. You see where I'm going, everyone has their pet peeves and one person's peeve is something another person could care less about. So while we all have our nitpicks, I think overall they struck a good balance.
I dunno, I think Ford has become "the company known for cheapness," and looking at the news the past couple of days, I'm not certain it's workin' for them anymore. Only so much blame can be attributed to reliance on SUV and truck sales, but the facts are that people migrated away from the domestics to the imports years ago because the quality was (and still is, frankly) better, PARTICULARLY when it comes to the details.

There seems to be a lot of hidden spots on the new Stang where you'll find bare metal...I saw some inside the door component when it was open. And, of course, there's the much maligned "Rubbermaid" interior.

Overall, I agree that the Stang is a great car for the money. Would Ford have lost sales if they had charged another $3K for the car and done a better job with the details? I'm not so certain I buy that argument. They may have lost some of the low income buyers, but my guess is they would have gained other, slightly more affluent buyers (looking for a bit more sophisticated Mustang) to easily offset that loss. After all, the new Mustang's retro styling was designed to appeal to baby boomers. And they're the ones with the money (and usually more sophisticated tastes).

Ford needs to decide what kind of car company it wants to be. And now would be a good time.
Old 8/19/06, 12:16 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah I hear you - but really $30k for a car these days is pretty common and not really all that much - and I don't know of many BMW's/Lexus/Mercedes, etc., that can be had fully loaded with the GT's hp and heritage for anywhere near that amount. Just curious what would a fully loaded BMW that can do 0 - 60 in 5.0 seconds cost? I too wish Ford would pay more attention to quality - but all in all they do OK and are always willing to back their vehicles with a bumper to bumper warranty....the challenge can be to find a Ford dealer with a decent service dept....in this area - I've been disappionted more than once.

Front license plate - be happy they didn't attach with the screws right through the bumper fascia...I always have my dealers leave off the front bracket and attach it myself (from the bottom).

Rear end axle housing and diff not being painted - besides the satisfaction of looking under your car and admiring the parts - there is no adverse effect of them not being painted - would take 50+ yrs to rust through those components (although I agree it does look kind of tacky) and for $20.00 I can paint it myself...

All in all the GT is a great performance bargain for the buck - and don't overlook the Mustang heritage - it really is a sort of cult - who owns a Mustang that doesn't know about the early models, the "instant success"of the 1st model and the fun around the original "pony car"? Check out the HUGH aftermarket for the Mustang - arguably the largest aftermarket following of ANY car, Get to know your fellow Mustang fanatics and enjoy the "right of ownership".....enjoy the Mustang for what it is - a fun to drive, seat of the pants, thrill ride....this is not "Your father's Lexus/BMW, etc." - nor is it intended to be.

By the way I like your color choice - I have an '05 GT (black on black) that I'm trading on my '07 black GT/CS....and welcome to the car that originated the "pony car"......

PS As you probably know by now the HomeLink feature is not part of the Mustang package - but you can order the identical compass/homelink mirror that Ford offers as an option through your local Subaru dealer for 1/2half the price....they are all made by the same company and I did this on my '05....works great....
Old 8/19/06, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
Some of your issues are quality, and some are not.

The front license plate. It is up to the dealer to order; order code is (79V or H?), let me check on this. If it's not on the car, blame the dealer, not Ford. Oh, and some folks are unhappy with that (i'm one of them), because they would just as soon Not have a plate on the front.
Dealer order code is (153). I believe you should ask him for one, at no cost. Then you decide what to do with it. Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails Ford Quality NOT #1-img_3138.jpg  
Old 8/19/06, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

i found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...QQcmdZViewItem
im about to order it.it says no drilling or sticking,ill tell you guys how it is
Old 8/19/06, 09:27 AM

I did go back to my dealer and he got me the license plate holder. I have put it away in the event the next owner may want it.

Those hood struts seem like a pretty good deal. I paid $109.00 for mine from MRT. Mine were also all bolt on with no drilling etc. Good find! May take awhile to get from Canada though!!

Appreciate the heads up on the Subaru mirror. When my dealer says he can't get it next week I'll just tell him to cancel the order and give me my money back and order it from them. Got any Part Number??

Need to check my Master Cylinder for leakage!!

Thanks
Viper98
Old 8/19/06, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Delaer order code is (153). I believe you should ask him for one, at no cost. Then you decide what to do with it. Best of luck.
SemperFi-
Off topic..... why did you trade from an 06' vert to an 07' vert? I traded up to an 07' GT/CS vert, but had an 06" Coupe.
Just wondering...
Old 8/19/06, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dbl E GT
SemperFi-
Off topic..... why did you trade from an 06' vert to an 07' vert? I traded up to an 07' GT/CS vert, but had an 06" Coupe.
Just wondering...
1. I was one of those folks who fell for GT/CS being 1.5" lower (w/FRPP suspension kit. I wonder how many of us there were when the first reports began circulating?
2. I've never liked vinyl vert tops.
3. I was planning on upgrading to 18" (from 17") wheels and tires, but was not pleased with the cash exchange to trade.

On the day the the GT/CS arrived (about a week earlier than expected), I was still considering just upgrading the 06 with the FRPP packages. The GM told me that my car had just arrived, so we went out to the prep area to take a look.

I told the Gm and the salesman that I wasn't sure that I wanted to take it. Of course, they said, "Why don't you just take it for a drive?" As soon as I turned on the ignition I knew I wpuld trade! To me there is no comparison between the 06 and the 07 - the ride suspension, the exhaust sound, 18" wheels and tires, the interior, the front and rear fascias.

I loved my 06 GT. The passion in my life is now the GT/CS. I'm still planning on mods, I just wonder if there might be more significant changes in another year or so.

I'm out to California in two weeks. I've reserved a GT-H for a couple of days. If you like, I'll share my opinions then.

I was out to the dealer taking alook at the GT500 (sold for $60,000). They also have several Saleens, and one Foose. Bottom line for me, I think we have one hell of a car in the GT/CS for the money!
Old 8/19/06, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

American cars in general aren't 'superior quality'. Americans don't hold on to their cars for very long.

Though, I guess one could argue that maybe if the cars here were built better, we would hold on to them longer
Old 8/19/06, 03:48 PM
GT Member

1. I was one of those folks who fell for GT/CS being 1.5" lower (w/FRPP suspension kit. I wonder how many of us there were when the first reports began circulating?
2. I've never liked vinyl vert tops.
3. I was planning on upgrading to 18" (from 17") wheels and tires, but was not pleased with the cash exchange to trade.

On the day the the GT/CS arrived (about a week earlier than expected), I was still considering just upgrading the 06 with the FRPP packages. The GM told me that my car had just arrived, so we went out to the prep area to take a look.

I told the Gm and the salesman that I wasn't sure that I wanted to take it. Of course, they said, "Why don't you just take it for a drive?" As soon as I turned on the ignition I knew I wpuld trade! To me there is no comparison between the 06 and the 07 - the ride suspension, the exhaust sound, 18" wheels and tires, the interior, the front and rear fascias.

I loved my 06 GT. The passion in my life is now the GT/CS. I'm still planning on mods, I just wonder if there might be more significant changes in another year or so.

I'm out to California in two weeks. I've reserved a GT-H for a couple of days. If you like, I'll share my opinions then.

I was out to the dealer taking alook at the GT500 (sold for $60,000). They also have several Saleens, and one Foose. Bottom line for me, I think we have one hell of a car in the GT/CS for the money!
OK, thanks ... makes sense and sounds like you now have what you want. I mean the cloth top, 18s, two-tone interior, more agressive front and rear fascias, etc. give you almost a completely different Mustang now in 07 vs. your 06 GT with the 17s and vinyl top.

I would be interested in your tales after your California trek. Plenty of sweeeeet women out there !
Let me know after you return.
thanks,
Old 8/24/06, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Error404
American cars in general aren't 'superior quality'. Americans don't hold on to their cars for very long.

Though, I guess one could argue that maybe if the cars here were built better, we would hold on to them longer
I would have to see that proven because I see plenty of 2003 Toyota's traded in for 2007's all the time. The point is that if American cars were designed to last 5yrs and import care were made to last 10yrs and the average American trade their car in after 4 does it really matter? Yes the interior could be better (Ford stop using hard plastic where the joints connect and we wont have rattles) and the rear axel area SHOULD be protected but even the imports have quality issues these days. I could tell you all the bad luck my family has had with Toyota, but just saying we have had/have serious mechanical problems is enough. Point is I owned an import and unless the American car makers all stop making cars I will never buy an import again. What Ford should do is not just increase the quality but crack down on the dealer service departments, half the reason our cars are in the shop for 5+ days is the dealer screws around too much. Also if the customer has a problem that matches a TSB the "service manager" does not need to put his big *** in your car to test it, give it to the tech perform the TSB and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Ford Quality NOT #1