2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

First GT/CS Road Trip Report:

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/07, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool First GT/CS Road Trip Report:

Just returned from a 900 mile round trip, Iowa to Arkansas and back. First. The car is just a dream vehicle for distance traveling down the interstate and on the twisty Ozark mountain roads too! Fuel milage down against a brisk 25 MPH head wind, two people, loaded trunk and AC on the whole way, was a surprizing 24.6 MPG at 70-75 speed. Return trip with modest tail wind of 10 MPH, same speed was an unreal 26.9 MPG! Love this mileage. CalStang's handling was uneffected by the wind force! With outside temps in the high 80's and at max humidity, the AC was like ice on the #1 setting! The big gauges are a little hard to read in bright sun with the headlights and your shades on. But dark charcoal instrument panel is very nice. Gauges now set to default blue for the night time driving. Sweet!! Seat belt extensions are a must for your neck comfort. Noticed a little road/tire noise coming up in the rear passenger area, but not too bad. Could use more sound deading back there. Shaker 500 Sirius radio and CD player were just outstanding! Better half just loves her power passenger bucket adjustments and I really liked the power lumbar in my bucket. Power disc brakes worked outstanding in the Kansas City rush hour traffic jams. Bought some GT-500 rear mud flaps at a Ford dealer on the road, as the bigger 18" tires throwing rocks and slop up on the bodies rear panel. Every Stang should come with these. No noise or heat coming from the around the 5-speed shifter area! The trips down side. Everyone starring as you pass them on the highway or when you go through some of the small towns there. And of course every young local street fighter wanting a race with a new Stang. Lastly trying to get all of the splattered bugs off of and out of the grill and AC radiator areas before putting the CalStang in another local car show. P.S. Could not believe how much stuff the better half really wanted to bring on this trip and that it's nice trunk size, that swallowed it all up. The CalStang passed the first road test run with an A+. We love driving it!!
Old 10/7/07, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Nice write-up...Glad to hear your enjoying it. I am a lil over 700 miles on mine and love coming up for reasons to take it back out.
Old 10/7/07, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just hit 2500 today. I must be driving too much.
Old 10/7/07, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good read, sounds like a nice weekend trip!
Old 10/7/07, 08:55 PM
2&2
GT Member

I was nice that you came by the chile cook-off show and shine. I think my wife understand now why I want an 08' GT/CS . She had never seen one before, and I had only seen two. It seems most Mustang owners got scared off by the weather forecast. See, once again if you had gotten the Shelby GT insead of the GT/CS, you more than likely would not have driven the car on that road trip. or even thought about bringing it out in the rain. Our Stangs are meant to be driven.
Old 10/7/07, 09:02 PM
2&2
GT Member

I was nice that you came by the chile cook-off show and shine. I think my wife understand now why I want an 08' GT/CS . She had never seen one before, and I had only seen two. It seems most Mustang owners got scared off by the weather forecast. See, once again if you had gotten the Shelby GT insead of the GT/CS, you more than likely would not have driven the car on that road trip. or even thought about bringing it out in the rain. Our Stangs are meant to be driven.
Old 10/8/07, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool Sunday's Mustang Show

2&2: Great to meet You, your Lady and family at the Mustang Show and Shine yesterday! Loved the smiley look on her face when she sat down in the drivers bucket seat of the CalStang! Sounds like shes all about getting a Vert. Trust that this pumps you two up for getting yours ordered in the near future. Agree that Vista Blue would be an outstanding color choice for your GT/CS! Thanks for showing me your wonderfully restored White 2+2 Stang Fastback! You lucky dogs, to have one of the very first really hot Stangs! Don't know if we will make this week's Flashbacks car display. Will let you know if that gets a go. "RC"
Old 10/12/07, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I took 5000 mile roadtrip in June (CO-WY-UT-NV-CA-NV-AZ-NM-CO). Car worked, Stingers droned and mileage was bad. One warning in WY (75 on 65).

Last weekend I drove my car down to Houston (1200 miles) for shipping (CO-KS-OK-TX), Stingers droned more, mileage was even worse. One ticket in KS (89 on 70).

I don't care about mileage or drone, my car is heavily modified and after these trips, I'm pretty confident with the engine. Time for more BOOST!
Old 10/13/07, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
I took 5000 mile roadtrip in June (CO-WY-UT-NV-CA-NV-AZ-NM-CO). Car worked, Stingers droned and mileage was bad. One warning in WY (75 on 65).

Last weekend I drove my car down to Houston (1200 miles) for shipping (CO-KS-OK-TX), Stingers droned more, mileage was even worse. One ticket in KS (89 on 70).

I don't care about mileage or drone, my car is heavily modified and after these trips, I'm pretty confident with the engine. Time for more BOOST!
I should buy stock in oil companies!!!

Im taking a 300 mile trip in late November. Hope my story is as good as CalStang's.