2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Exhaust difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/06, 09:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust difference?

I read on here that one of you said the '07 was quieter than the '05. Looking at a lot of pictures and it in person, the exhaust tips on the '07s look smaller. Anyone know anything about this. Am I blind? Do you think ford just toned down the exhaust note? I Hope not. I want something not too harsh but I wanna know its there. Stock 350z has best stock note money can buy. Can I hope for anything close?
Old 11/15/06, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats why i have the Shelby GT X-Pipe and mufflers setting on my living room floor, waiting for my car to come in on (12/7).
Old 11/15/06, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

Re: mufflers

I don't know anything about mufflers but my cousin took my GT/CS for a ride recently and mentioned that my muffler is noticeably quieter than his 1998 and 2001 Mustang GT. It's all relative because I found the muffler to be quite loud compared to any other vehicle I have owned. Am I to decuce that you have a Mustang GT/CS on order?

All smiles all the time with a Gt/CS
Old 11/15/06, 10:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Comox
I don't know anything about mufflers but my cousin took my GT/CS for a ride recently and mentioned that my muffler is noticeably quieter than his 1998 and 2001 Mustang GT. It's all relative because I found the muffler to be quite loud compared to any other vehicle I have owned. Am I to decuce that you have a Mustang GT/CS on order?

All smiles all the time with a Gt/CS
Yes I do. I drove a 2007 gt and the exhaust did seem overly tame for the purpose of the car. The thing is, I don't want some droning rumble everytime I drive. I guess I want something inbetween...mainly noticing it when I floor it.
Old 11/15/06, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaCSblack
Yes I do. I drove a 2007 gt and the exhaust did seem overly tame for the purpose of the car. The thing is, I don't want some droning rumble everytime I drive. I guess I want something inbetween...mainly noticing it when I floor it.

Funny you mention that as I had always heard that the '07 exhaust note had been changed by Ford to be a bit louder I have about 1K miles on my '07 GT/CS now and it seems a bit louder/raspier (read better) than the day I picked it up with only 19 miles on the odo. It is louder than my '05 GT was - but I had Magnaflow axelbacks installed on the '05 and that may be the reason the '05 seemed quieter. I had rented a Shelby GT-H a ways back and liked the sound of the FRP Shelby GT mufflers so I have them on order.....plus (even with the GT/CS rolled tips) the stock 3" tips look way too small for the rear valence openings....can't wait to install the 4" Shelby GT's....
Old 11/15/06, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

The only difference is the rolled exhast tip on the GT/CS and it also comes with the GT appearance package. Other than that the exhaust is the same for 2005+. I would agree that its not as loud as fourth gen mustang. I plan on getting headers and axles backs.
Old 11/15/06, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a difference between the auto cars and the manual cars exhaust. The manuals have a little bit louder/deeper exhaust. Not sure why, but the mufflers are labeled differently from the factory, and several people on these boards say they can tell a difference in sound. It would be interesting to cut some open and see exactly what the difference is.
Old 11/15/06, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
There is a difference between the auto cars and the manual cars exhaust. The manuals have a little bit louder/deeper exhaust. Not sure why, but the mufflers are labeled differently from the factory, and several people on these boards say they can tell a difference in sound. It would be interesting to cut some open and see exactly what the difference is.

Steve - that's odd....I wonder why? Could it be the larger size of the auto tranny makes a different route for the exhaust pipes/H pipe
Old 11/15/06, 01:18 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I dunno, if you look at an 05 premium versus the CS, the exhaust looks smaller. Weird. Yeah I got the manual thankfully. Well I'm hopin it gives me a nice grumble, I'm sure I won't care as much when it sits in my garage.
Old 11/15/06, 01:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have no idea why the manuals are different, as far as I know it's only the mufflers themselves that are different, somehow. The manual mufflers have a tag on them that read GOG, the autos have a tag that reads AOA. Somethings different...
Old 11/16/06, 09:45 AM
V6 Member

Yeah, I guess part of my suspicion came from adding options. Dealers aren't very clear about the options with the msutangs since you can customize them in SOOO many ways. For example, Comfort Group option just says Heated Seats. I had NO idea that the Electrochromic mirror was part of that package as it is not written on the sticker or my order form anywhere. That reason and more is why I questioned maybe ford does subtle changes that they don't really mention.
Old 11/16/06, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Funny you mention that as I had always heard that the '07 exhaust note had been changed by Ford to be a bit louder I have about 1K miles on my '07 GT/CS now and it seems a bit louder/raspier (read better) than the day I picked it up with only 19 miles on the odo. It is louder than my '05 GT was - but I had Magnaflow axelbacks installed on the '05 and that may be the reason the '05 seemed quieter. I had rented a Shelby GT-H a ways back and liked the sound of the FRP Shelby GT mufflers so I have them on order.....plus (even with the GT/CS rolled tips) the stock 3" tips look way too small for the rear valence openings....can't wait to install the 4" Shelby GT's....
+1. I agree... I've read that 07 are a bit louder than the 05-07, especially the 5 speeds. .
Old 11/16/06, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

Oh I hope I'm wrong. Trust me .
Old 11/16/06, 10:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shatter just got an 07 and his stock system is louder than my stock system was on my 05. Both of our cars are 5-speed manuals.
Old 11/16/06, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I heard they get a bit louder as you start putting some miles on it. I've only had mine now for a week and already I find the exhaust has gotten louder and deeper
Old 11/16/06, 11:13 PM
V6 Member

Good news, good news indeed!
Old 11/17/06, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaCSblack
Good news, good news indeed!

Kevin - I realize this is subjective - but I just installed the Supreme Performance GT500/GTA axel back mufflers with the dual wall 4" tips and THEY SOUND AWESOME.....of course I'm an old guy and didn't want the sound too loud or the dreaded "drone".....they seem to amplify the stock sound to be a bit louder and they are a tad deeper in tone....just what I wanted!! NinoSport has them for $265.00 and free shipping (with TMC discount). Relatively quiet at idle once the high idle kicks down - but when you get on it....pure music to my ears....especially the "back burbble" between shifts. I find myself running through the gears more now just to hear the sound
Old 11/17/06, 02:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Kevin - I realize this is subjective - but I just installed the Supreme Performance GT500/GTA axel back mufflers with the dual wall 4" tips and THEY SOUND AWESOME.....of course I'm an old guy and didn't want the sound too loud or the dreaded "drone".....they seem to amplify the stock sound to be a bit louder and they are a tad deeper in tone....just what I wanted!! NinoSport has them for $265.00 and free shipping (with TMC discount). Relatively quiet at idle once the high idle kicks down - but when you get on it....pure music to my ears....especially the "back burbble" between shifts. I find myself running through the gears more now just to hear the sound
Wow thanks a lot for the help. Everyone on here seems quite nice compared to some other boards I've been on. Now would I have to ship it to a local shop around here to install it. Could a ford dealership put that on? Oh also, is it loud down neighborhood streets? I live in a fairly, no a Very conservative neighborhood where these people will call the cops if your car is too loud going down the street. Thanks again.
Old 11/17/06, 04:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Now I think I may want some since I did not get a Shaker 1000 ?
Old 11/17/06, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys can always click the link in my signature if you want to hear them with the Ford Racing X pipe.

Quick Reply: Exhaust difference?