2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

The CS is heading to the track!

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/09, 02:54 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CS is heading to the track!

A while back I signed up with Trackmasters Racing to do HPDE (High Performance Driver Education) with them at some of the local tracks here in NorCal. (Thunderhill, Infineon Raceway at Sears Point, and Laguna Seca) This Thursday I'll be going out with them for the first time at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma. The Mustang gets to go fast without the threat of the CHP or tickets!!! I can't wait! I've raced Sears Point in my kart a couple of times, but this will be my first time around it in a car. Gonna be fun to see what kinds of speeds I'll hit out there. I wanted to do Thunderhill a couple of weeks ago with them, but a slot opened up and they offered it to us karters, since we were racing there the next day, and I needed time in the shifter kart more than taking the Mustang out, so the Mustang had to wait in the garage... Not this time!
Pretty good deal... Costs @ $300 for the day, and you get 5 20 minute sessions on the track during the day. That's about 10 laps a session. Hope I bring it back in one piece! I already know that if I want to continue doing this I'm going to have to 'finish' the car now, and complete the upgrading of the brakes. There goes another $4k!
Also need to find a way to mount my GoPro Hero to the rollbar...

Last edited by Krash; 10/6/09 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10/6/09, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet! Have fun, man.
Old 10/6/09, 09:43 PM
V6 Member

Got the onboard camera working! Used a kart seat brace to mount my GoPro to the rollbar, and now I've got an above driver view of the driver and the track! Took it for a test drive on the freeway, and probably a whole bunch of people were looking at my ride thinking... "What the hell is that guy doing? Is that a CAMERA mounted to his rollbar?" But at least I know it works now, since I won't be taking much along in the way of tools. My kart trailer is only 16 feet long, and I can't use it to haul the Mustang to the track, and I'm very limited as to what I can bring along with me.
Old 10/16/09, 12:10 PM
V6 Member

Video from the day's last session, including my fast lap of the day is now posted on youtube.
krash1racing...enjoy!
Old 10/16/09, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent! HPDE is a dream of mine, I need a four point rollbar first. http://www.youtube.com/user/krash1racing is the link.
Old 10/16/09, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That was marvelous! I really enjoyed it. Took me back to the Solo I days at Riverside International Raceway.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~fsheff/rirpicts8.htm
Old 10/16/09, 07:06 PM
V6 Member

Upgraded brakes are a MUST! The first 2 sessions, I came in with metal shavings on the insides of my wheels. The last 3 sessions it looked like someone was soldering on the insides of my wheels!! I've found some SSBC ones that will fit into the 18" Bullitt wheels I have. Other than that, I was very happy with the Stang on the track! It handled the track very well, and top speeds of 100 mph coming down the dragstrip straight, after the 'esses' into turn 10 down into the hairpin, (turn 11) and down the front straight up into turn 1.