2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Collectibility of Car GT/CS:Mixed feelings

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/07, 10:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Collectibility of Car GT/CS:Mixed feelings

I just purchased my Black 07 GT/CS about a week ago and I was so excited by the aspect of having something special. It came off the trailer with 2 miles on it and a week later Ihave about 120 break in miles. Since joining this site I am seeing a lot more GT/CS then I expected. I mean, the reality is that it it a GT with a stripe and larger wheels and shorter gears. Does anyone else have any doubts about the value of ths car in about 5-10 years as a collector piece? Wil it end up like the 4cyl turbo Mustang or the 1993 Limited convertibles or the Mercry Capri ? Did Ford just make this to apease the masses who would like to own a Shelby but are not wiling to pay a 1000.00 car paymnent. I am beggining to wonder was it even worth the extra $1800.00? Also can anyone direct me on finding a bra for this car that wil fit? The front fascia is different. Also has anyone installed a sunroof or clear glass ceramic roof in the coupe? Thanks.
Old 5/16/07, 10:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

I can tell you that you don't want a bra, at least not a fitted one. It will scratch the heck out of the front of your car. Check into a clear bra, do a search there are plenty of threads on the subject. If I recall right 3M makes a neat system.
Old 5/16/07, 11:00 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the advice about the BRA

Thanks for the advice about the bra. I think I may go with clear one. Seen any 05-07 with a sunroof?
Old 5/17/07, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the california special was always known as the poor mans shelby.personally - i think resale will always have a bump over the 'regular' gt's and its hard to tell production wise where the gt/cs is at. iirc, ford is building around 9000 gt500's and 6000 sgt's. i dont see how 15k of those cars per year could translate into instant collectable. they will, however, always get the value bump over our cars.

until someone finds production numbers - it will all be speculation.
Old 5/17/07, 06:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The value of anything is based on supply and demand- simple economics. I think that a lot of people will be disappointed if they think that they're buying: Shelbys, Bullitts, Cobras, GT500s, GT/CSs, etc... and making money. I garantee that the 5-10 year timeframe you indicated will yield squat. It'll be valued like any other car that's 5-10 years old. Log on to kbb.com and type 1997 Mustang cobra... or whatever, and see what it's worth. Maybe 30-40 years... if you parked it in a garage and forgot about it, then it might be worth something- but who's going to do that? I bet 30K in mutual funds will be worth a lot more. Cars are the WORST investment going. Buy it to drive it like you stole it and have fun.
Old 5/17/07, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

if you can find a 93 cobra for the 6000 that kbb says i should be able to buy one for - please let me know

the few i saw recently for sale (drivers - not stowed away) were all in the 15k-20k range... not bad for a car that had a sticker price in the 20's...

i
Old 5/17/07, 09:25 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean, the reality is that it it a GT with a stripe and larger wheels and shorter gears
The GT/CS has the same wheels that are optional on the GT and the gears are no different.
$1895 get you side stripes, side scoops, 2 tone seats, and the 18" wheels (~$900 option on the GT).
Old 5/17/07, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
The GT/CS has the same wheels that are optional on the GT and the gears are no different.
$1895 get you side stripes, side scoops, 2 tone seats, and the 18" wheels (~$900 option on the GT).
You're also getting a different front and rear fascia for the GT/CS, with paint that is a direct match to the rest of the car. Some folks would argue that is what makes the the difference, include me in that group. I love the interior, and the wheels. the side scoops-I would take a pass on if I had a choice.
Old 5/17/07, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
You're also getting a different front and rear fascia for the GT/CS, with paint that is a direct match to the rest of the car. Some folks would argue that is what makes the the difference, include me in that group. I love the interior, and the wheels. the side scoops-I would take a pass on if I had a choice.
add me to that group also. i park next to another new gt, and think the package just sets it off.

personally - i would prefer the all black (dark charcoal) interior over the two-tone
Old 5/17/07, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

+1 on SteelTownStang's comments, the GT/CS should not be considered an investment. Neither should any other Mustang, not even a Shelby. You're much better off to sock that money away in a "real" investment (stocks/ bonds) if that's what you're interested in. Buy it because you want to have fun and enjoy it. It is going to severely depreciate just like any other new car you might buy. The only potential it has as an investment is if you stick it in storage somewhere and just leave it there for 20 years while putting little to no miles on it. But the way things are going, gas will be 50 bucks a gallon then, and we'll all be driving hybrid scooters and Mustangs won't be worth anything except as scrap metal
Old 5/17/07, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I have to agree they are making to many of them. Like others have said it may be worth a few bucks more than the reg gt. The 05 sonic blue gt may be worth about the same as the gtcs seeing how theres so few of them. I think it all just depends on what the buyer is looking for.
My car is one of about 2k but unless some one is looking for this exact model/color combo its worth just as much as any other gt.
Old 5/17/07, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
The value of anything is based on supply and demand- simple economics. I think that a lot of people will be disappointed if they think that they're buying: Shelbys, Bullitts, Cobras, GT500s, GT/CSs, etc... and making money. I garantee that the 5-10 year timeframe you indicated will yield squat. It'll be valued like any other car that's 5-10 years old. Log on to kbb.com and type 1997 Mustang cobra... or whatever, and see what it's worth. Maybe 30-40 years... if you parked it in a garage and forgot about it, then it might be worth something- but who's going to do that? I bet 30K in mutual funds will be worth a lot more. Cars are the WORST investment going. Buy it to drive it like you stole it and have fun.

are you certain about mutual fund?
Old 5/17/07, 08:21 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Guys,
I have to disagree with the comments about "cars" not being a good investment.

Several years ago, I took every cent out of my 401k plan that was going absolutely no where with the stock market, except up one month and down further the next.

I bought several cars at that time, and have since then sold them for PROFIT and bought and sold again.

Recently 2 of my "investments" were sold at Barrett Jackson Auction in Arizona.

Yes there is money to be made, however, you have to invest money , in the cars, to make more money in the end.

Concerning the "07/'08 GT/CS? Too many out there already, with more to be produced.
However, even Ford can't predict the future.

Who knows, they could be the next icon, or go the way of the Mustang II

TDS
Old 5/17/07, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
I'm with you Joe, I think the GT/CS package does set off the car more than a regular GT - and I like the looks. However, I certainly don't look at it as an investment per se - but just a fun car to drive and be a bit different - I still see many more GT's than GT/CS's and it should stay that way if Ford sticks to only producing the GT/CS for two years. By the way - I concur about the side scoops - a bit "high school" but you do eventually get used to them. I wish now that I would have passed on the GTA package as I'm not really a fan of the hood scoop either. Now had Ford put an additional 50hp to 75 in the GT/CS - that would be an entirely different scenario.
Old 5/18/07, 01:08 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only seen two other GT/CS's around. One was black, the other white. and both hardtops like mine. The front and rear fascias really do make this car pop out against any other GT. I've gotten nothing but compliments for it, and I absolutely love the two-tone interior.
Old 5/18/07, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I have only seen two other GT/CS's around. One was black, the other white. and both hardtops like mine. The front and rear fascias really do make this car pop out against any other GT. I've gotten nothing but compliments for it, and I absolutely love the two-tone interior.

You might see my Vista blue around when I come down from Alamogordo.

Mark
Old 5/18/07, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I wish now that I would have passed on the GTA package as I'm not really a fan of the hood scoop either. Now had Ford put an additional 50hp to 75 in the GT/CS - that would be an entirely different scenario.
100% right on. It's so sad that the money was wasted(for me) on the GTA, it could have gone immediately to the X-pipes w/GTA mufflers. Is there any market for the rolled tipped mufflers? I'm fearful that I'd have to pay someone to take them off my hands.
Old 8/29/07, 09:37 PM

Rumor has it, only 4,000 GT/CS Stangs were sold in '07. This probably won't do much for us in the next few years except maybe get us a bit more than a standard GT in the private market.

Aside from whether or not it's a collectible, it is nice to know that the GT/CS is "factory" unique from most of the 5th Gens. That's the main reason I paid extra for the option. Spread-out over the (atleast) 10 years I plan to keep the car, that's only $190 a year or about $17 a month to be unique... from an optimistic point of view
Old 8/29/07, 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I plan on driving mine untill its paid off then garaging the CS along with my 70 torino ( I paid $500) and my 63 Impalla ( grandparrents car). The car looks great and I plan on takeing it out to shows and have fun with it, don't plan on selling any of them. As for making money, naw just fun to have a car that very few have. In 20 years in may be a cool car or called a junker but its all mine.
Old 8/29/07, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I never see GT/CS mustangs. I see shelby GT's constantly... only they are still at the show rooms because no one is buying them...
There is a white and black 07 Shelby GT down the street at the dealer. Every dealer in town still has at least 1 if not 2. No one is buying them now because many have realized these aren't collectibles... they aren't rare at all.

Neither is the GT/CS but at least I don't see them at all in Charlotte, NC. I see a shelby at least 3-5 times a week. Different ones on different roads. Makes you wonder how many GT/CS there are out there? I don't see GT/CS at the dealers either... rare as hell. I've seen 2 in 3 months and that was going to every dealer in town looking for the one I wanted. Charlotte is a big enough city that I would expect to see more if there were high production on these.

Quick Reply: Collectibility of Car GT/CS:Mixed feelings