2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

CAI

Old 6/28/10, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI

ive tried searching but cant find a review on this. http://www.americanmuscle.com/cnl-sct-0509gt-kit.html

if you guys know anything on this or something that would be better please let me know.
Old 6/29/10, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
click on the cia in my sig
Old 6/29/10, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Nice review, thanks. Too late for me as I have a BBK that is tossing lean error codes at me (factory tuned of course...)
Old 6/29/10, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by y2kcbr
Nice review, thanks. Too late for me as I have a BBK that is tossing lean error codes at me (factory tuned of course...)
Which it will continue to do until you get a proper tune for that CAI. More air to your intake = lean.
Old 6/29/10, 05:21 PM

thanks glenn, i guess that settles it...... C & L it is
Old 6/29/10, 05:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C&L racer is one of the best
Old 6/29/10, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by brandon357
thanks glenn, i guess that settles it...... C & L it is
American Muscle just dropped the price on the Steeda. I was going for the C&L until I saw the Steeda.
Old 6/29/10, 10:17 PM

sorry about the stupid questions but is the C&L literally a plug and push a few buttons and im good to go or will i have to sit and mess with it forever.... im new to all of this, ive never had a nice car worth doing this all to so i wouldnt know what to do if i have to do it all myself.
Old 6/30/10, 04:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry about the stupid questions but is the C&L literally a plug and push a few buttons and im good to go or will i have to sit and mess with it forever.... im new to all of this, ive never had a nice car worth doing this all to so i wouldnt know what to do if i have to do it all myself.
Well, after installing and programming it, you will have to get a bib to constantly wipe your drool of your face and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Oh and from the sounds of it you may want to get a diaper too because the tune makes your car a different monster all together. Enjoy! I know I did when I did mine.
Old 6/30/10, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

A friend owns a mod shop and when they independently tested the CAIs offered on American Muscle's site, the JLT came out on top. If you read the review in Glenn's link, you'll see their tests bear that out as well. It seems to flow better with the larger and straighter tube. And it's the least expensive CAI & tuner combo on there ($529.99), so that's a bonus. That's what I'm going with -- and soon.

Brandon, as long as you get the correct computer code to the tuner company (to find where that is, check here: http://www.americanmuscle.com/computercode.html), it should be as simple as plugging it in, hitting a couple of buttons and you're done.

Last edited by MusicMan66; 6/30/10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 6/30/10, 10:15 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

JLT also released a carbon fiber body intake(I reaaaaaally want one) which looks great but is quite a bit more, and also their new non-CF design which has a 110mm MAF housing. You can check it out here... http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=277
Of course you could always just go with the regular JLT and save a bundle. I found a JLT/SCT combo on Ebay the other day for pretty cheap, so if you're not opposed to used explore that option.

Unless you go with a K&N, S&B or C&L street intake, you're going to need a tune. I would get the intake/tuner package just because the majority of the gain you'll be seeing will be from the tune and the tuner will always come in handy in the future whether you need it to read codes, datalog, readjust for gears, etc.
Old 6/30/10, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
JLT also released a carbon fiber body intake(I reaaaaaally want one) which looks great but is quite a bit more, and also their new non-CF design which has a 110mm MAF housing. You can check it out here... http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=277
Of course you could always just go with the regular JLT and save a bundle. I found a JLT/SCT combo on Ebay the other day for pretty cheap, so if you're not opposed to used explore that option.

Unless you go with a K&N, S&B or C&L street intake, you're going to need a tune. I would get the intake/tuner package just because the majority of the gain you'll be seeing will be from the tune and the tuner will always come in handy in the future whether you need it to read codes, datalog, readjust for gears, etc.
Good advice, and brings up the question:

"Do y'all reckon that today's production pieces from those manufacturers are advanced from the 'prototype' models tested in most instances?"

My guess is that the laggards in the test took a lesson from it and improved their products to at least some degree. I would not bank on the order or the rankings/data would be the same today as in the 2005 (!) test. Everything changes with time, and not always predictably or for the better.

Once upon a time I calculated the dollars-per-horsepower differences between a tune, a CAI, and a tune with a CAI. Hands-down, the best investment was the tune. The CAI was four- or five-times as expensive as the tune, and didn't improve that much when combined with a tune.

As a general rule, the CAI is an engine compartment dress-up item first, and an incidental improver-of-performance, as a not-very-big bonus. If you are bound and determined to get a CAI, get one that looks good to you (I like the FRPP "Bullitt" item; got two, and both are decent street-legal performers with the FRPP tune. Bama tunes will go on over the top! The FRPP tuners allow adjustments for axle ratio and tire size that stick in the street-legal mode, as opposed to custom tunes, where the adjustments disappear when you go back to stock.).

If you are short of dollars, get the tuner and tune. When you have investigated the current CAIs for performance comparisons, and saved a few bucks, plunk down your savings and get the CAI of your choice and free tune update from American Muscle.

Last edited by frank s; 6/30/10 at 04:11 PM. Reason: speling and content ers
Old 7/3/10, 09:19 AM

thanks for all the help, i just ordered my C&L intake and programmer now the crappy part........ waiting for it to come in.
Old 7/3/10, 10:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
thanks for all the help, i just ordered my C&L intake and programmer now the crappy part........ waiting for it to come in.
Don't forget to read up on the what & what not to's ok
example Take a strategy reading write it down , this shows your ECM number . Reset to stock before you always take your car in for any service (why) encase some bone head decides to reflash your ECM=electronic control modual umkay. Then when you get your car back read the stategy number to be sure it's still the same before uploading a tune to the car !! I always ask them not to & if they have to call me first & tell me why.
Drive safe watch out for the extra trust.
Old 7/3/10, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I went with the jlt. It was a more than a few bucks less for just about the same Hp and tq gains
Old 7/11/10, 06:53 AM

i was talking to my friend about the cai and he said that i really should get a wide band... what do you guys think?
Old 7/11/10, 09:35 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

i was talking to my friend about the cai and he said that i really should get a wide band... what do you guys think?
For a CAI only? There's no need for that. We all run CAI's and tunes no problem without a wideband.
Old 7/11/10, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Overkill!!! Unless you plan on tuning the car yourself, or you just want to say you have a wideband.
Old 7/11/10, 06:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm a fan of JLT CAIs. Had one on my 4.6 and have one on my 5.4: http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/
Old 7/12/10, 03:47 AM

ok thats what i thought thanks