2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Attn: All GT/CS owners or people that have the CS front fascia..

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/07, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: All GT/CS owners or people that have the CS front fascia..

When you drive at or above 90mph does your hood start to shake and lift? At 120mph+ does it start to slam against the latch?

I've noticed this on my car but not on any other regular GT, which leads me to believe that the CS fascia causes incredible amounts of lift that has the potential of causing the hood to fly off.

I took it to a Ford dealer to have it checked out and all they said was "you shouldn't be driving that fast" To which I responded, why didn't Ford put a limiter that would not allow to drive at a speed that could possibly have my hood ripped off?... but all I got was an mouthbreathing window licking "uh"
Old 6/28/07, 12:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Humm not yet but if I get up early I'll try to get permission to take it out on a runway & try although I think the rubber stoppers or bumpers looked differnt than when I had my 05 GT , If I can I'll take a video too.
Old 6/28/07, 05:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had mine up to 115 with no problems, was even looking for hood movement. Try to tighten up the stopers or put hood pins on if you are worried about it flying off.
Old 6/28/07, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Had mine up to 115 with no problems, was even looking for hood movement. Try to tighten up the stopers or put hood pins on if you are worried about it flying off.
I've had my car for one year now, with no problems like that. The hood is on tight.
Old 6/28/07, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edweiser63
When you drive at or above 90mph does your hood start to shake and lift? At 120mph+ does it start to slam against the latch?

I've noticed this on my car but not on any other regular GT, which leads me to believe that the CS fascia causes incredible amounts of lift that has the potential of causing the hood to fly off.

I took it to a Ford dealer to have it checked out and all they said was "you shouldn't be driving that fast" To which I responded, why didn't Ford put a limiter that would not allow to drive at a speed that could possibly have my hood ripped off?... but all I got was an mouthbreathing window licking "uh"
Yep ! they will flutter or bounce! you can adjust some of this out! Thats the real reason for the heat extractors on the GT500's according to numerous articles on the GT500 test mules the hoods kept blowing off at speed!
Old 6/28/07, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

My '05 GT's hood whould shake like crazy. My '07 GT/CS's is like a rock well over 100mph.
Old 6/28/07, 10:24 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine was rock solid at 100, and I've got a big scoop on it grabbing air. Never even saw a flutter. My hood is also steel instead of aluminum, might have something to do with it.
Old 6/28/07, 10:44 AM
GT Member

No problems on mine at all.
Old 6/28/07, 10:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Cervini's will lift from time to time, but then again I don't always run that fast all the time either.
Old 6/28/07, 01:42 PM

that's strange because I talked to a friend of mine that also has a CS and he mentioned that the same problem at speeds above 90mph.

Where are these stoppers located and how do I tighten them?
Old 6/28/07, 06:37 PM

I had the same problem at around 80MPH. I tightened the driver side bumper (they screw in and out) and the problem went away. Be careful not to adjust out too much because then the hood won't align with the fender.
Old 6/28/07, 06:56 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It has nothing to do w/ the CS bumper cover. GT's have the same problem and have been talking about it for 2 years.
Search hood shake and you'll find plenty of info.
Old 7/3/07, 02:59 PM

138mph and no problems with the hood, but it seemed like my car would not go any faster, so that's another problem.
Old 7/4/07, 06:27 AM
GT Member

Not sure of where it was coming from on its way down, but never noticed any flutter or shake with the speedo dropping back through 105...or so...
Old 7/6/07, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

I didn't notice any shaking or noise, and I was up to 130mph a couple of times...
Old 11/5/10, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm digging up this old thread for a couple of reasons:

1) It would be nice if someone who really, really likes to mod his car (you know who you are!) would run over to the Ford dealer to get the front "undertray" that is found on new Mustangs, and find out if/how it mounts on the 2005-2009 cars. You could be saving a life, eliminating hood flutter and the stress early S197 drivers feel about their hood-pinless cars.

I have never had the flutter, and I put it down to the semi-undertray on the GT/CS fascia, something not present on GTs or V6s. At first I thought the factory GT Appearance scoop might account for it, but the scoopless car is also flutterless at any speed up to XXX.Xmph.

2) The misanthropes on another forum are very, very deep into character assassination and put-downs, and apparently only by accident actually carry on a discussion about things that matter to car enthusiasts. My impression from over there is that the '05-'09 GTs are subject to the flutter problem, they regard holes in the hood as a solution, and at least one f****t didn't believe my testimony that my GT/CSs never showed any flutter. I'm too lazy to count GT vs. GT/CS complaints of hood flutter, but I'm going to bet fewer CSs show the problem.

What's your experience?

Last edited by frank s; 11/5/10 at 05:37 PM. Reason: mispuctuation,
Old 11/5/10, 07:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mdcorny
138mph and no problems with the hood, but it seemed like my car would not go any faster, so that's another problem.
I've had mine up over 140 mph,but I have the hood pins,hood stays tight,no movement at all, Attn: All GT/CS owners or people that have the CS front fascia..-478057-r1-23-2a.jpg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes they will go over 138mph,what kinda gear do you have in the back ,,,I have the stock 331 for now.

Last edited by ricksGT/CS; 11/5/10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11/5/10, 07:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

Originally Posted by frank s
I'm digging up this old thread for a couple of reasons:

1) It would be nice if someone who really, really likes to mod his car (you know who you are!) would run over to the Ford dealer to get the front "undertray" that is found on new Mustangs, and find out if/how it mounts on the 2005-2009 cars. You could be saving a life, eliminating hood flutter and the stress early S197 drivers feel about their hood-pinless cars.

I have never had the flutter, and I put it down to the semi-undertray on the GT/CS fascia, something not present on GTs or V6s. At first I thought the factory GT Appearance scoop might account for it, but the scoopless car is also flutterless at any speed up to XXX.Xmph.

2) The misanthropes on another forum are very, very deep into character assassination and put-downs, and apparently only by accident actually carry on a discussion about things that matter to car enthusiasts. My impression from over there is that the '05-'09 GTs are subject to the flutter problem, they regard holes in the hood as a solution, and at least one f****t didn't believe my testimony that my GT/CSs never showed any flutter. I'm too lazy to count GT vs. GT/CS complaints of hood flutter, but I'm going to bet fewer CSs show the problem.

What's your experience?
,I've been thinking about it already Frank,,,,do you mean this one Attn: All GT/CS owners or people that have the CS front fascia..-12mustangboss302_76_hr.jpg

Attn: All GT/CS owners or people that have the CS front fascia..-12mustangboss302_82_hr.jpg
Old 11/5/10, 08:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none of that here at higher speeds, adjust the bumstops?
I've been trying to find a 2010gt belly pan, anyone got links!?
Old 11/6/10, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

No hood shake at all for me. And to the OP...No Ford dealer is going to address an issue that occurs while you're technically doing something illegal

Quick Reply: Attn: All GT/CS owners or people that have the CS front fascia..