2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Active Alarm and High Electrical Content Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/06, 05:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
But I can find Nowhere which of the Two Batteries Listed for The Mustang is a 60-amp-hour battery. It Lists CCA or Cold Cranking Amps only. 60 Amp Hour maybe the standard battery and the text may just be misleading fluff!
What is the CCA for the 96R?
Old 10/6/06, 05:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My BXT96R battery says 500 for Cold Cranking Amps - but how does that relate to the "60-amp-hrs" quoted in the Ford.ca website?

Apparently the BXT40R is 590 CCAs.
Old 10/6/06, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by karman
No, I have the base radio. I almost never turn it on. I like listening to the engine.
Kevin - that would seem to blow our theory that the 40R comes with the Shaker 1000....let's get to the bottom of this....I smell a rat

By the way did you ever find out what Ford is using for the wheel locks for the 18" polished alum wheels....since the regular ones are way too tall

thx and give that Redfire GT/CS a good run this weekend

PS and HURRY UP and get that Roushcharger installed - I'm getting "ancy" to get one too!!
Old 10/6/06, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Kevin - that would seem to blow our theory that the 40R comes with the Shaker 1000....let's get to the bottom of this....I smell a rat

By the way did you ever find out what Ford is using for the wheel locks for the 18" polished alum wheels....since the regular ones are way too tall
They gave me the regular tall ones.
They really don't look that bad on the car. I don't know why I put them on, I never park outside overnight.
Old 10/6/06, 11:58 PM
Cobra Member

They gave me the regular tall ones.
They really don't look that bad on the car. I don't know why I put them on, I never park outside overnight.
Karman - I'm going to stop by a wheel shop tomorrow and see if I can find shorter ones that fit. I'll post if I find anything.
Old 10/7/06, 08:30 PM
V6 Member

I checked the US Ford.com web site and it did not have the same info as the ford.ca site had in regards to the "further info" on the active alarm. I do not believe there is any difference in the build of the cars for each country except the km/miles on the odometer. So it seems the question is not yet answered about does the CS get a higher amp battery when you have an active alarm, Shaker 1K, either, or both????

Is there anyone who has both the Shaker 1K & active alarm and if it is the same one that every-one else has Ford screwed-up on all of these cars?? Does anyone have a higher amp battery ? and if so what are the specs of that car, the real question is does ANYONE have the other battery?
Old 10/8/06, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont have the active alarm on my 06 and have the shaker 500 so I have the small battery. What I do know is that there is no such thing as a dealer installed active alarm system.

The only ford system that can be dealer installed is the ford/code alarm unit that is just an aftermarket system designed to work with the ford key fobs. It is not plug and play in any way and a siren is optional with it and not included. Kinda crappy IMO.
Old 10/8/06, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

I just found the active alarm horn....or at least I think I did!! I'm installing Dynamat in my trunk today and have the trunk liner removed an there it is.....a horn the size of a motorcycle (sized) horn in the rear passenger side trunk well....can anyone else confirm this?
Old 10/9/06, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I just found the active alarm horn....or at least I think I did!! I'm installing Dynamat in my trunk today and have the trunk liner removed an there it is.....a horn the size of a motorcycle (sized) horn in the rear passenger side trunk well....can anyone else confirm this?
That's the one. I got one there too.
Old 10/11/06, 11:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cold Cranking Amps is just something battery vendors like to use on the side of the battery, but it really does not have as big of an impact on the battery capacity as you'd like to think.

The Ampere-Hour rating is the more important rating. Just like small AA rechargeable batteries, a higher A-h rating means a higher capacity.

I think the difference between the 96R and 40R was 50 Ah vs 59 Ah, not a huge difference. In all honesty, you're probably better off swapping in an even larger capacity battery if possible.

BTW
How long did it take for your battery to completely discharge with the Active Alarm system? I'm wondering if I should get the alarm system if it saps the battery so quickly.
Old 10/11/06, 01:46 PM
GTR Member

The FSM lists the 96R as 52 Ah, and the 40R as 60Ah. So if given a 60A current draw, the battery would last approximately 52 minutes with the 96R and 60 minutes with the 40R. 8 minutes... woop dee doo!!!!

For what it is worth, the Group 96R and Group 40R are batteries used by the Focus, Contour, Mystique, and Cougar.

Group 65 batteries used in the police cars are 78 Ah.
Old 10/12/06, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
The FSM lists the 96R as 52 Ah, and the 40R as 60Ah. So if given a 60A current draw, the battery would last approximately 52 minutes with the 96R and 60 minutes with the 40R. 8 minutes... woop dee doo!!!!

For what it is worth, the Group 96R and Group 40R are batteries used by the Focus, Contour, Mystique, and Cougar.

Metroplex - you win the prize - THANK YOU for finding the answer to this one......now if I can remember where Ford stated that he Active Alarm package comes with the 60Ah battery - we can prove our case....although - as you have pointed out above - it's really not much of a difference!!
Old 10/12/06, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

snip....snip
BTW
How long did it take for your battery to completely discharge with the Active Alarm system? I'm wondering if I should get the alarm system if it saps the battery so quickly.
Metroplex if that question is for me - I didn't actually have a dead battery due to the active alarm system...I had heard that we were supposed to have the "high electrical content" (BTX-40r) and checked mine and it only came with the BTX-96r.
Old 10/12/06, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

That's the one. I got one there too.
Think I'll replace mine with a diesel air horn....see how long the battery lasts then
Old 10/12/06, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Actually - good information....if I ever have to replace this battery - I'll know to ask for the Group 65 batt. Wonder how much they are compared to the 96r/40r series?
Old 10/12/06, 01:27 PM
GTR Member

I'm sorry for the confusion:

I wanted to use the Group 65 battery as a comparison for battery capacity. The Group 65 will probably not fit in the battery tray in a Mustang GT.

http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Group 40R and 96R are sized very closely. Group 65 is probably too big, but I don't have a 05-up GT at this moment so I cannot take measurements. I hope that page helps you out, there's probably a bigger capacity battery that might squeeze into the tray.
Old 10/12/06, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

I'm sorry for the confusion:

I wanted to use the Group 65 battery as a comparison for battery capacity. The Group 65 will probably not fit in the battery tray in a Mustang GT.

http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Group 40R and 96R are sized very closely. Group 65 is probably too big, but I don't have a 05-up GT at this moment so I cannot take measurements. I hope that page helps you out, there's probably a bigger capacity battery that might squeeze into the tray.
No sweat - thanks for the additional information - I was thinking the same thing about the Group 65 "If if fits" - but battery trays are pretty easy to modify.
Old 10/13/06, 11:24 AM
GT Member

Talked today to Service Mgr at my dealers and, although they can't seem to get a straight answer from Ford, the dealership is going to swap out my 96R battery for a 40R battery when I take it in for an oil/filter change within the next 10 days or so. I suspect the dealership is just doing this to make peace with me; which is OK.
Old 10/14/06, 04:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checked mine, it's a 40R and my car has the AAT, and Shaker 500.
Old 10/14/06, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tuco
Talked today to Service Mgr at my dealers and, although they can't seem to get a straight answer from Ford, the dealership is going to swap out my 96R battery for a 40R battery when I take it in for an oil/filter change within the next 10 days or so. I suspect the dealership is just doing this to make peace with me; which is OK.
Tuco - nice of your dealer to work with you. I think perhaps Ford must have been short of 40r's or the assembly line is not paying attention as some have the correct battery and some of us don't.

Quick Reply: Active Alarm and High Electrical Content Battery