2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

2009 GT CS

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/21, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GT CS

Considering the purchase of 2009 Mustang Gt CS. 60k miles 5SP. Anyone have advice on what to look for?

Thanks
Old 1/6/21, 10:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
At this age, either the car feels good, looks good, works good, no weird noises, everything works... or not. You're going to have items, it's an 11 year old car. Suspension probably, but there could be more. Take a code reader and read the codes. Get under it and see how it looks, if its all messed up looking...

The specialty items such as the striping, badging, front/rear facia and paint thereto, maybe some interior pieces, the wheels, that sort of thing. Go online and look at what they're supposed to look like and ensure it matches.

The GT/CS is mostly 'just' another Mustang GT otherwise. At least it has the 1 piece spark plugs instead of the older 2 piece setup, so those'll be a breeze.

By and large, these are solid cars, so there's not much to look for, beyond the normal 'used car' things. Maybe there's a seat tear, the seat belt doesn't retract right, or maybe the power seat's stuck... that sorta thing. The shifter's probably gonna be the same old notchy thing it's always been (although I hear the '09s and up were improved on that) and the rear lower control arms could be shot and need replacement... And as long as the timings not messed up (tensioner, right side especially!) then there's not all that much to look for. Either the car's good or it isn't.

And as is the case in every used car... buyer beware, and you may be the warranty. I just assume I am anyway.

Last edited by houtex; 1/6/21 at 10:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
NC14GT (1/8/21), tbear853 (1/6/21)
Old 1/8/21, 06:42 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
As the owner of a 2007 GT/CS since 'new' I can say most everything depends on the prior owner(s). Mine is about to hit 60k miles (mostly highway miles) and has a 5 speed. It is all 'stock' except for the dealer installed shaker. I have kept up the maintenance as required with oil changes every 3,000 miles or less with Ford oil and filters as stated in the owner's manual. I have changed all fluids and the main fan belt (just due to age). I wax the car every 4 months on average even though it is garage kept. I have NEVER had the car in the shop except for the seat belt recall. The car has been near flawless all 13 years of it's life. A/C, brakes, clutch, radio, everything. Have I just jinxed myself? Who knows but I would leave tomorrow on another cross country vacation with 100% confidence. It's all about the history of the car you are actually considering. Are you looking at one like mine that needs nothing or a 4 owner car left outside in the elements and beaten by young drivers?? It's all in the details. The car itself was made very well in my opinion or I would have sold it a long time ago. Best of luck with this car or any future considerations.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (1/8/21)
Old 1/8/21, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
As the owner of a 2007 GT/CS since 'new' I can say most everything depends on the prior owner(s). Mine is about to hit 60k miles (mostly highway miles) and has a 5 speed. It is all 'stock' except for the dealer installed shaker. I have kept up the maintenance as required with oil changes every 3,000 miles or less with Ford oil and filters as stated in the owner's manual. I have changed all fluids and the main fan belt (just due to age). I wax the car every 4 months on average even though it is garage kept. I have NEVER had the car in the shop except for the seat belt recall. The car has been near flawless all 13 years of it's life. A/C, brakes, clutch, radio, everything. Have I just jinxed myself? Who knows but I would leave tomorrow on another cross country vacation with 100% confidence. It's all about the history of the car you are actually considering. Are you looking at one like mine that needs nothing or a 4 owner car left outside in the elements and beaten by young drivers?? It's all in the details. The car itself was made very well in my opinion or I would have sold it a long time ago. Best of luck with this car or any future considerations.
Thanks for the reply. Carfax report looked ok. 2 previous owners. I have owned four mustangs in the past two were 67 GT's. one 73 Mach 1 and a 2001 . The 2001 was good but developed clutch and computer issues. I understand there are potential differential issues with the 2009, mostly leaks and gear replacement.
Thanks again for the reply.
Old 1/8/21, 07:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
you can scroll through the threads on here to get a better idea of the common issues . . . generally very solid cars as was already said
Old 1/8/21, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by wjd230
Thanks for the reply. Carfax report looked ok. 2 previous owners. I have owned four mustangs in the past two were 67 GT's. one 73 Mach 1 and a 2001 . The 2001 was good but developed clutch and computer issues. I understand there are potential differential issues with the 2009, mostly leaks and gear replacement.
Thanks again for the reply.
No problem. I hope it works out well. Two owners and a clean Carfax are certainly good starts. If you buy it, please post again (photos too). 👍
Old 1/10/21, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
As the owner of a 2007 GT/CS since 'new' I can say ... etc ...
I seldom pay a lot of attention to "verts", just an old habit ... but I have to stop and look at that car often here on these pages, she's a BEAUTY. I just about know I've met it on the BRP.

Last edited by tbear853; 1/10/21 at 12:21 PM.
NC14GT (1/11/21)
Old 1/11/21, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by tbear853
I seldom pay a lot of attention to "verts", just an old habit ... but I have to stop and look at that car often here on these pages, she's a BEAUTY. I just about know I've met it on the BRP.
Thanks! I remember us talking about that quite awhile ago. Maybe up by Mabry Mill? We always take a 'vert' on the parkway so it will be the Mustang or T/A on our drives. We missed our annual lunch at Mt Pisgah this past year due to the virus. We did stop by at the gift shop and the atmosphere just wasn't the same with all the tables far apart. Maybe this season. I know that's too far for you probably but it's always nice to cruise as far as you like. This year we made it up to Mt Mitchell.
Old 1/11/21, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Thanks! I remember us talking about that quite awhile ago. Maybe up by Mabry Mill? We always take a 'vert' on the parkway so it will be the Mustang or T/A on our drives. We missed our annual lunch at Mt Pisgah this past year due to the virus. We did stop by at the gift shop and the atmosphere just wasn't the same with all the tables far apart. Maybe this season. I know that's too far for you probably but it's always nice to cruise as far as you like. This year we made it up to Mt Mitchell.
Long way? I've been known to drive to Luray Virginia for supper, two nights in a row, 93 miles each way. Shatley Springs a few times, sometimes just to drive down, other times I drove from Indian Valley in Floyd Co., Va. or Park Vista Inn nearer West Jefferson. One of my favorite stays on the BRP was at MM 268.1, Benge Gap, "Park Vista Inn" and for a couple years, the best beef brisket this side of the Red River. Know Mt Pisgah well too, many stops, even spent some nights there. I live near Fairfield, Va.

I do so hope 2021 sees better times, I fear my "Park Vista Inn" may not have survived?
NC14GT (1/12/21)
Old 1/19/21, 05:21 PM

Strut tower supports

I have noticed strut tower supports on Mustang GT/CS/Shelby. One was pretty substantial the other was a couple of tubes and some that had non at all. Does anyone know the reason for the difference? I'm assuming it may be if there is a upgraded suspension.

Thanks
Bill
Old 1/19/21, 08:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, so... I did some lookin' around. And the results are... interesting.

Basically... owner's choice. I mean, I've seen pictures of the GT500s without and with strut tower braces. I've seen V6s with them. I've seen all models with and without. Some with one beefy dang tube, others with a bar, and still others with two tubes and cross braced... some taller to clear Boss 302 intakes and superchargers, and others that'll just get past the GT and/or V6 intakes... Just all kinds.

And finding what's 'stock' on anything is silly on the interwebs, given the contradictions seen in the pics and videos of various models. So... yeah. No real sense to me.

I can tell you this: Pretty much no matter what design, they'll all do the thing (Zhu Li), which is to keep the strut towers from falling/flexing inwards. And the sole purpose is to enhance the handling of the car. Which is why a lot don't have them: most people won't be going to that kind of extreme where it'll matter all that much. The towers are pretty strong as it is, so this is added cost and weight for not much savings in handling for the masses. Makes maintenance a bit fun because it's in the way, so there's that too. "Run of the mill" situation pretty much says "don't do it" because it's just in the way. If the owners want them, they can add them, it's not difficult at all. Two bolts a side mainly and it's done.

As to the various designs, it's more a case of functionality (clearance of intake/supercharger) vs prettiness. And probably a little weight too, of course. There might be something to be said regarding the 'arch' design, which is necessary given the constraints of the compartment. It could potentially flex/bend/break upwards as the strut towers try to flex inwards, so that might be a consideration into which kind to get, but honestly, they're all pretty much going to be designed to do the job and be tough enough to do it without issue. And one can always just replace it after, oh, 10-20 years.. but if that thing bends/breaks, I think you got other problems with the car.

Last edited by houtex; 1/19/21 at 08:15 PM.
Viking99 (9/28/22)
Old 1/20/21, 08:23 AM

I driven two GT's ,one with, one without. The one that had them there was a definite difference in the handling.

Thanks for the reply.
Bill
Old 1/20/21, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
building on what Houtex already said:

I have noticed strut tower supports on Mustang GT/CS/Shelby. One was pretty substantial the other was a couple of tubes and some that had non at all.
They are just different designs to accomplish more-or-less the same thing. Theoretically a thin tube with only one bolt on each end would only reduce inward/outward (side-to-side) movement of the strut towers. A wide bar with two holes/bolts on each end would also reduce the twisting of the towers and a little fore/aft movement. "Best" would be a wide and tall/thick brace with four holes on each end that is also tied to the firewall like the older cars; that would tie it all together and reduce movement in all directions.

Also some are arched higher to clear the plenum cover and/or a supercharger.

But for practical purposes, these cars are very stiff without the brace and it doesn't make much difference. I think the earlier years were a lot less stiff / more flexible and the braces made a bigger difference.

That said, I do think they look kinda cool, and I have one on my car because I like it, even though I probably couldn't tell the difference in the way the car handles, even on the road track.

I driven two GT's ,one with, one without. The one that had them there was a definite difference in the handling.
Were those two cars the same in every other way -- tires, wheels, springs, struts/shocks, sway bars? I'm guessing probably not, and the difference was more likely due to those other things than the strut tower brace.
Old 1/20/21, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I can attest to a non-shock-tower-braced car otherwise modded suspensionally handling really nice in my particular car's case... Although I sometimes wonder if I get a brace would that do things even better... I just haven't bothered, other things to do... Maybe one day...