2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/13, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed

Hey Guys & Gals,

Project modification #3 is now complete - vacation is going mighty fine! Installed my Shaker Hood in about 6 hours.

Lessons Learned:
1. Read and re-read the instructions slowly, especially when into the project about 4 hours and one is tired.

2. The "Template" is at the maximum on cutting. I cut the hood about 1/4 inch inside the lines and no problem fitting the rings. If I would do it over I would cut 1/2 inch inside the lines.

3. Measure multiple times is the golden rule. You will notice on one of the pictures 2 horizontal lines (short below longer). That is because I measured from the wrong line first. Thank the good Lord I went back to the instructions and re-measured.

4. When you cut the hood, the metal shavings go everywhere. Make sure you cover the entire front of your Mustang and your front windshield. This stuff goes everywhere.

5. Be careful with the 4 rivets, if you drop one - oh well. Was able to purchase another from a fastener store, but what a hassle.

6. It has a most aggressive look, especially driving it. Very satisfied.

Today it rained all day, but the Mustang looks good in the rain.

C'ya
check 6
Attached Thumbnails 08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-shaker-hood-install-1-small.jpg   08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-shaker-hood-install-2-small.jpg   08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-shaker-hood-install-3-small.jpg   08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-shaker-hood-install-4-small.jpg   08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-shaker-hood-install-5-small.jpg  

08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-shaker-hood-install-6-small.jpg   08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-shaker-hood-install-7-done-small.jpg  
Old 4/11/13, 03:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks great, a job well done!
Old 4/11/13, 04:09 AM
GT Member

Looks good. Nice job.
Old 4/11/13, 10:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Very nice job on the hood,,,,you had me sweating here ,,cutting a hood is stressful ,,blood pressure go's up ,,well ,,for me it does ,,lol,,its all the little things that can go very wrong ,,,looks good .
Old 4/11/13, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks great! I bet it's awesome to see it shake!!
Old 4/11/13, 10:54 AM

Yea I held my breath when I placed the rings on after I cut a big hole in my hood for the first fit. The good news is that this is something most of us can do on our own.

C'ya
check 6
Old 4/11/13, 12:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 4/11/13, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

looks great I had mine done by a shop. if there was a mess up cut let it be on their dime. same with my hood pins.
Attached Thumbnails 08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed-detail-2013.jpg  
Old 4/12/13, 07:54 AM

Brad, nice looking GT/CS - hood pins to be installed in a couple of weeks.
Old 4/12/13, 11:54 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Very nice! You have a lot of confidence as there are many tales out there of botched hood cutting. The dealership did mine when the car was new.
Old 4/12/13, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice job, I could not cut into my hood, I don't have the heart to do it
Old 4/19/13, 09:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Talking

Old 4/19/13, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Joepilot
Hey Guys & Gals,

Project modification #3 is now complete - vacation is going mighty fine! Installed my Shaker Hood in about 6 hours.

Lessons Learned:
1. Read and re-read the instructions slowly, especially when into the project about 4 hours and one is tired.

2. The "Template" is at the maximum on cutting. I cut the hood about 1/4 inch inside the lines and no problem fitting the rings. If I would do it over I would cut 1/2 inch inside the lines.

3. Measure multiple times is the golden rule. You will notice on one of the pictures 2 horizontal lines (short below longer). That is because I measured from the wrong line first. Thank the good Lord I went back to the instructions and re-measured.

4. When you cut the hood, the metal shavings go everywhere. Make sure you cover the entire front of your Mustang and your front windshield. This stuff goes everywhere.

5. Be careful with the 4 rivets, if you drop one - oh well. Was able to purchase another from a fastener store, but what a hassle.

6. It has a most aggressive look, especially driving it. Very satisfied.

Today it rained all day, but the Mustang looks good in the rain.

C'ya
check 6
Functional?
Old 4/19/13, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Ya got stones man, I'll give you that!

There just some things I don't have the stomach to do myself, and cutting a huge hole in my hood is right up there on that list.

Looks great!
Old 4/20/13, 09:02 AM

Thanks "Cristoff" - I owe it to my sons always saying, "Go big or go home" - what was I thinking?

Functional? - I don't know - the air goes into the air filter including the "flock" of bees that I drove through on the way to College Station last week, but hey it really looks cool driving and turns a few heads. Since I was a kid in the late 60s, I have always wanted one. Saw my dream car ('69 red with shaker hood, back window louvers, wing spoiler and hood pins) in Southern Calif when my dad was stationed at March AFB in Riverside. So now that I have finally got to the point of having "some" disposable income and the kids are all gone & on their own, I am "building" that dream car - hence the Shaker Hood.

Having fun and no more scary modifications - oh except for the hood pins this coming week.

C'ya
check 6
Old 4/20/13, 09:09 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
definitely did a great job! looks good!
Old 4/20/13, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Joepilot
Thanks "Cristoff" - I owe it to my sons always saying, "Go big or go home" - what was I thinking?

Functional? - I don't know - the air goes into the air filter including the "flock" of bees that I drove through on the way to College Station last week, but hey it really looks cool driving and turns a few heads. Since I was a kid in the late 60s, I have always wanted one. Saw my dream car ('69 red with shaker hood, back window louvers, wing spoiler and hood pins) in Southern Calif when my dad was stationed at March AFB in Riverside. So now that I have finally got to the point of having "some" disposable income and the kids are all gone & on their own, I am "building" that dream car - hence the Shaker Hood.

Having fun and no more scary modifications - oh except for the hood pins this coming week.

C'ya
check 6
Oh ok, was just curious, I know someone makes a functional shaker hood for those cars, a bit pricey though.
Old 4/20/13, 11:22 AM
Banned

Looks awesome man. I've always loved shakers. Just not enough to drop $700 on one lol.
Old 4/20/13, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

these hood scoops are functional. They do not directly feed into the carb since we are throttle bodies now. you have two options. a tube that will feed a closed air air cleaner or just open when you have a CIA. Either way you are pressurizing the system some. just not as much as a direct feed through a carb. I added an 85mm throttle body to make use of the extra air.

Last edited by BRADGTCS; 4/20/13 at 03:48 PM.
Old 4/20/13, 03:52 PM

Awesome. Did you do anything with the edges of the hole?

I would think you would need to sand it or something so the edges weren't raw.

Looks great

Quick Reply: 08 GT/CS Shaker Hood Installed