Updated Shelby Info

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/06, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ April 29, 2006, 10:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
what's KR?
[/b][/quote]

"King of the Road"
Old 4/29/06, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mudshuvel319 @ April 27, 2006, 6:41 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The car is definitely impractical in Canada. It's not even very practical in the US. But there are plenty of Canadan guys on these boards, and I'm sure they wouldn’t mind having a Shelby.

Also, I'm not sure what all they would have to change to sell it there though. The metric conversion for sure, but I wonder what else.
[/b][/quote]

need a metric faceplate on the speedo. Automatic daytime running lamps. French for those that request it. that's about it. I think the rolling bump into a solid object with no damage test is done at about 2 mph higher than in the US. I understand that last one is the primary reason the GTO isn't offered up here.
Old 4/29/06, 07:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(68notch @ April 29, 2006, 11:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
According to the old Ford SVT website:

2004:

Coupes: 3,768
Verts: 1,896
Total: 5,664

2003:

Coupes: 8,394
Verts: 5,082
Total: 13,476

When all said and done, 19,140 vehicles over 2 model years.
[/b][/quote]

If that's the case, then the is no CAFE/MAFE excuse for Ford not to build 10K per year.

Besides if CAFE/MAFE were really an issue with an auto manufacturer, then somebody forgot to tell Porsche to start building economy cars....

/rant off
Old 4/29/06, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrossBoss @ April 27, 2006, 7:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm no expert on Canadian cars, but the total number of Shelby Mustangs seems about right for Canada. The car will be terribly impractical. I've never even been to Southern Canada, but I'm told it gets cold up there. Shoot - it even gets cold here in Kansas City. It is very difficult to drive a high torque car on ice. If I lived there, I'm sure I would want something that had AWD and anitlock brakes. The Shelby doesn't quite fit the bill here. This is not to mention Northern Canada - what is the market for Shelbys around Baker Lake?

Interestingly enough, I think that cars for export to Canada have to have metric speedometers and have all documentation in English as well as French. I'm not how sure this would work buying one here and using it there and vice versa.
[/b][/quote]

Oh Good Lord, you and Mudshuvel have got to get lives.....and a little lesson in geography and climate. Yes, the North West Territories, the Yukon (Not YOKON !!!) are relatively cold but the climate for most Canadians is about as average as it is (cold, warm, even hot) in the states bordering Canada from the east coast to the west coast. In case your U.S. knowledge is as bleak as your knowledge of Canada, I'm talking about the New York/Maine area to N. California/Washington state. I'm pretty sure, last time I checked on the Discovery Channel anyways, that most of those northern US states aren't covered in ice 12 months of the year. In fact, a recent TV show on the National Geographic channel said that they generally receive snow only 3 months of the year. Wow, just about the same as most of our Canadian provinces. Isn't that just amazing !!

But it's really too bad you're so totally off base with your mindless comments about our weather - and our "fit" in Ford's distribution plans. Tell me you two......will I have to cancel my August 1/4 mile shootout between my Skidoo and my GT ????? Geez, I guess I'll have too. About the only ice most of us here in Canada will see in August will be in our cocktail glasses [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 07:48 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark,

Do you live in an igloo?
Old 4/30/06, 10:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
wow...thats kinda funny, ..I hope it was sarcastic though...I think its funnier if it was one of those..."I know you don't live in an igloo, but it would be funny if I asked you anyway, just to make fun of people who think all Canadians are Eskimos and live in igloos."....back to topic...is there anymore about the part where they are testing the motor at higher horsepowers??? and...about what percentage of what you learned from this call did you share with us, and what percent are you not allowed to share??..... 90% TOLD YOU....10% CLASSIFIED????
Old 4/30/06, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AFBLUE @ April 29, 2006, 7:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mark,

Do you live in an igloo?
[/b][/quote]

OK you got me! And here I was thinking that the $250,000.00 facade that I had installed to cover it up (you know.... the bricks, the roof, windows, driveway......and even that Brady Bunch astroturf that really doesn't kick up any grass when I mow it) would have saved me from the pain of admitting it. I'm so ashamed [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 4/30/06, 12:05 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to live in Canada from 1997-2002. In Winterpeg (Winnipeg). I was an exchange officer with the Canadian Forces. I'm quite familar with the Canadian perception about how ignorant we Americans are about Canada (I was using the igloo comment to make fun of that perception).

I also learned while up there that the US lost the War of 1812 and that Canada invented Basket Ball (actually a Canadian living in America).

I was constantly reminded that Michael J. Fox, Pamela Anderson, Shania Twain, and many others are Canadians.

No offense was intended to my North American brethren. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/canada.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Although, I wouldnt admit that Pam Anderson was from Canada if I were Canadian....these days she is Beverly Hills manufactured [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

back to topic...is there anymore about the part where they are testing the motor at higher horsepowers??? and...about what percentage of what you learned from this call did you share with us, and what percent are you not allowed to share??..... 90% TOLD YOU....10% CLASSIFIED????
[/quote]

I listed just about everything that was discussed. The Shelby team said that they are testing the engine at a higher HP, would not share that info after much prodding. Al they would tell us is when the brochure comes out, it will list the hp rating.
Old 5/1/06, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AFBLUE @ April 30, 2006, 12:08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I used to live in Canada from 1997-2002. In Winterpeg (Winnipeg). I was an exchange officer with the Canadian Forces. I'm quite familar with the Canadian perception about how ignorant we Americans are about Canada (I was using the igloo comment to make fun of that perception).

I also learned while up there that the US lost the War of 1812 and that Canada invented Basket Ball (actually a Canadian living in America).

I was constantly reminded that Michael J. Fox, Pamela Anderson, Shania Twain, and many others are Canadians.

No offense was intended to my North American brethren. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/canada.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

And none taken brother. I forgot to mention, bringing this thing back on point, was that I am on a list, #2 at a large SVT dealer here for almost a year, and the thought of only 300+ cars coming to Canada is both exciting (it's become more of a crap shoot to get one) and scary (I was worried about what the list price was going to be and I'm afraid it's going to be more than the $50k (Cdn) that I expected. Well time will tell. The "old" LL GTA packs alot of punch right now and it's suddenly become much less important to get one of these things right away. Besides, like almost everyone on TMS, I've NEVER paid more than list for a car, even the GTA which I got for $3k under MSRP. If our dealers even THINK of upping the price, I'll be the first one to hand over my spot. I truly hope the "regular guy" enthusiasts buying them down south get them at a fair price 'cause that's who they should go to. Guess we'll all know in a month or so.

Mark

And PS......I think we've actually sold Pamela Anderson to the U.S. (a couple years ago when we erradicated mad cow disease, we threw her in to the pot when we started shipping Alberta beef back into your country)so I'm afraid you'll have to cross her off that list of yours [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Original Sin @ April 29, 2006, 9:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Oh Good Lord, you and Mudshuvel have got to get lives.....and a little lesson in geography and climate. Yes, the North West Territories, the Yukon (Not YOKON !!!) are relatively cold but the climate for most Canadians is about as average as it is (cold, warm, even hot) in the states bordering Canada from the east coast to the west coast. In case your U.S. knowledge is as bleak as your knowledge of Canada, I'm talking about the New York/Maine area to N. California/Washington state. I'm pretty sure, last time I checked on the Discovery Channel anyways, that most of those northern US states aren't covered in ice 12 months of the year. In fact, a recent TV show on the National Geographic channel said that they generally receive snow only 3 months of the year. Wow, just about the same as most of our Canadian provinces. Isn't that just amazing !!

But it's really too bad you're so totally off base with your mindless comments about our weather - and our "fit" in Ford's distribution plans. Tell me you two......will I have to cancel my August 1/4 mile shootout between my Skidoo and my GT ????? Geez, I guess I'll have too. About the only ice most of us here in Canada will see in August will be in our cocktail glasses [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

It's nice to see are so passionate about your weather, but that wasnt even the point i was making. if you would have read my last post, you would see that I said
"The car is definitely impractical in Canada. It's not even very practical in the US. But there are plenty of Canadan guys on these boards, and I'm sure they wouldn’t mind having a Shelby."

I was in favor of the car being in Canada, and my first post on this thread questioned why so few Shelbys were making it there. The Shelby is an impratical car wherever you live, but that shouldnt limit where it's enjoyed.

And by the way, I lived in Canada for a time and still have relatives there that I visit regularly, so next time I'm in the area, I'll have to stop by so you can show me more of the National Geographic specials you have on tape. Thanks for the help!