Are there any throttle body swaps for the GT500 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/07, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any throttle body swaps for the GT500 yet?

Are there any TB swaps for our GT500s?

I saw a 75mm KB throttle body but I don't think it is a swapable unit. I "think" they only make or support it for their blower swaps. They report a 48rwhp gain over the stock TB but I can't find details on whether that is on the stock blower or the KB blower at the stage 1 level...

I can only guess at this point but that TB with their CAI, some axle backs, and a good tune would result in something around 520rwhp??? Purely a guess on my part... Assuming others reporting 510rwhp without a TB swap and KB states that the stock TB is restrictive as low as 435rwhp...

What do you folks think?
Old 9/2/07, 04:54 PM

I had a V-10 Ford Truck on for a while with my whipple but have changed to whipples single blade- still have the V-10 It was good for 20 RWHP on mine its just a little bigger than stock. You can try B4 u buy if interested!!!
Old 9/2/07, 05:54 PM

I have been following a KB 2.8 stage III up-grade on another board for the GT500. They are saying that the KB 75 mm throttle body and intake track gives 4lb of boost 18.5 to 23+. This is with no pulley change just the throttle body. On a stock blower I am not sure if it will give you that much of a HP increase. On a side note this is where the GT500 start to show what it's made of. Almost 700rwhp with just a blower swap. Still using the stock fuel system "pumps, rails and injectors". The only thing being changed out is the drive shaft and tires. Also I am not reading about blown motors or trans with this car. It may be a pig but but feed it more air and fuel and it's a fast pig.
Old 9/3/07, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by xlch59
I have been following a KB 2.8 stage III up-grade on another board for the GT500. They are saying that the KB 75 mm throttle body and intake track gives 4lb of boost 18.5 to 23+. This is with no pulley change just the throttle body. On a stock blower I am not sure if it will give you that much of a HP increase. On a side note this is where the GT500 start to show what it's made of. Almost 700rwhp with just a blower swap. Still using the stock fuel system "pumps, rails and injectors". The only thing being changed out is the drive shaft and tires. Also I am not reading about blown motors or trans with this car. It may be a pig but but feed it more air and fuel and it's a fast pig.
From what I read, it appears that you also need dual KB BAPs to run that much hp/boost. They actually increase the voltage to the stock pumps to make them run harder... I would like to stay short of doing that... I already have a crazy 700 hp car. For the GT500 I would like to give it a little more hp than stock and from what I am reading, all it takes is a CAI, Axle-Back exhaust, and a tune to push it from 440 rwhp to 500 rwhp. I think that would be adequate but if I can bolt on this KB dual 75mm TB or a single blade (if someone is aware of one being available for the GT500) then I am interested in trying that as well. I have to admit 20rwhp from a TB sounds great! I haven't found any that flat out say that they will fit on a GT500 and what it takes to put it on (eg tune, new MAF, specific CAI, etc...)
Old 9/3/07, 09:27 AM

And, I don't want to purchase a "kit" with a CAI/tune until I know about the various available TBs and what CAI they use and if they require a specific set of drivers for the tune...
Old 9/3/07, 11:40 PM

I do not think a TB is going to do anything unless you are over 600 RWHP Thats what my experiance has shown
Old 9/4/07, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by hot rod stang
I do not think a TB is going to do anything unless you are over 600 RWHP Thats what my experiance has shown
I appreciate your input! Can I ask for a little more info on your experience? KB states that the stock TB shows restriction at 435 RWHP...
Old 9/5/07, 10:22 AM

If you are going to use the stock blower then the stock TB will be fine.
Do a pullt CAI Exhaust and tune and it will really wake it up. My only experiance with dlowers is with Whipple as thats what I have.