Sun State Ford has an available GT500 allotment

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/06, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I'm stuck down here in Orlando on business and I didn't have anything to do so I am driving past Sun State Ford and I see an interesting "GT" and I stop to take a closer look. The dealership is open... on a Sunday no less. So while I'm looking over the "GT" the sales chickey (no offense to you car salesmen and women but if you saw her you would have said the same thing) comes out and starts to try and sell me the car. She tells me that it isn't a "GT" and I tell that I already figured out that it is a V6. So she tries another line or two and I tell her that I might just wait a year or so to replace the 97 GT I own with a hoped for 5.4 SE. Well she didn't know about that but HEY! The GT500 is coming out and it has a 5.4 SUPERCHARGED engine! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] Obviously she hasn't picked up on the fact that I have a degree in Mustangs (courtesy of my fellow TMS forum members [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] ). I tell her I know all about it and then I tell her what she will be selling this fall... And she still thinks she is dealing with a typically ignorant customer. And then I said besides you will be lucky to find a GT500. She then promptly tells me that she has gotten an extra GT500. She had 3 and they are all spoken for but that they got an extra allotment and she will gladly sell me that allotment. So I asked her the $64,000 question… "How much over MSRP?" Without batting an eye, looking embarrassed or uncomfortable in anyway she smoothly answered one word…. 15.
I mean, didn't hesitate, look embarrassed, nothing! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] So I told her that I thought that was ridiculous and that for $40,000 it was a decent price but at $55,000 it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much. She started to fumble around for a way to justify it when I informed her that for that much money it was getting too close to a Z06 Corvette. She then tried to justify it's cost by comparing it to the Ford GT horse power wise. Like HELLO! I just told you a Corvette for half the price will keep up with Ford GT so why would I want to pay that much for an overweight Mustang and as far as the 575 horsepower engine I could do that to any Mustang for a lot less than the Shelby. Then she mumbled something about heritage and this could be Carrols last car( a vain attempt to pull at my heartstrings? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] ) I didn't even want to get into the fact of Carrols participation in the program… At this point I figured that she didn't have a clue or a conscience. $15,000 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 3/12/06, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

sun state had dealer markup on 05 GT's when 06's were coming out, i don't recommend them to anyone
Old 3/12/06, 03:47 PM
V6 Member

I wasn't to impressed with the sales chickey... wants to sell a performance car but dosen't know squat about the competition.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pvillepiper @ March 12, 2006, 4:49 PM) [post=]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
I wasn't to impressed with the sales chickey... wants to sell a performance car but dosen't know squat about the competition.
[/b][/quote]
Old 3/12/06, 05:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like $15K is 'average' markup. Sad isn't it?
Old 3/13/06, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have called darn near all the dealers in my State...that I could find anyway....and they all are asking 15 over. Most all have sold them already allegedly. Most gave me the "we only are getting one and can get a premium" speech. Some even told me of other dealers out of state have contected them and are going to give the dealer 9K over MSRP for their allotment!!! That is BS. Gotta love the old school mentality of Ford and the other 2 meatheads...GM and Chrysler.....F em now cause they may not come back! Instead of taking care of the customer and making them want to come back.
Old 3/13/06, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

For what this is worth, a friend of mine, who lives in Alhambra, Ca. went to the Frod dealer by him and talked to the sales man about the GT500. He said they are getting 2 and there is already a 5K deposit on one. Then he ask how much over sticker, and the Salesman said "ZERO". Hard to believe, so he asked if he was sure, and the Salesman again verified "No Mark-up" and made the comment that Ford is going to crack down on the dealers that are asking these fees aother than the standard ones.
Old 3/13/06, 05:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KGSGT350 @ March 13, 2006, 11:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For what this is worth, a friend of mine, who lives in Alhambra, Ca. went to the Frod dealer by him and talked to the sales man about the GT500. He said they are getting 2 and there is already a 5K deposit on one. Then he ask how much over sticker, and the Salesman said "ZERO". Hard to believe, so he asked if he was sure, and the Salesman again verified "No Mark-up" and made the comment that Ford is going to crack down on the dealers that are asking these fees aother than the standard ones.
[/b][/quote]
Good for them. Ford should reward them with extra cars.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/idea.gif[/img] Maybe that is how Ford can control the dealers.
Old 3/13/06, 08:02 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There oughta be a law (or an employment requirement) that you know something about the product(s) you sell. In my college days I used to sell camera equipment. I am big into photography and knew everything about every model. I could tailor a camera to a customer within minutes - and I sold a lot. Too bad the same isn't true for car salespeople, but sadly, too many people get into it because they don't have anything else to do and think they're gonna make a quick buck. WRONG!

That's why they have such high turnover. I was at my local dealership last weekend (first time in three months) to inquire about the GT500. The middle aged sales dude (who I had never seen before - actually the whole sales staff looked new) knew NOTHING about it!

Then I went to a different dealership, and the guy proceeded to tell me that one of the SVT dealerships in Alberta has 100 people on a waiting list. Why am I not buying into this whole thing? The way I see it, there is a limited market for a 500+ horsepower Ford at $40K+ that will only be attainable by people who have the cash up front.

And how can ANYONE order the car they want (colors, stripes, options, etc) if there is an "allotment" quota?

"OK, you guys get four cars, and that's it."

So I walk in and say, "I want red with white stripes and all the bells and whistles. So can I order the bloody thing, or do I have to take the orange one in the corner, cause you guys only got four cars and the other three are sold?"

Something's wrong here.