Shelby Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/07 | 12:18 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

Question Shelby Questions...

HI!

I've got some questions for those of you that are the lucky bastards to own a GT500... hope you can help me guys... does it come with the "My color" dials?... would you change a Lotus Elise and a Cobra Replica for a GT500?... would you leave everything original, or would you add extra sound stuff and performance parts?... Its like I just got the news that its gona come down to mexico and I might get it msrp... so I want to know if I buy or not... hope to hear from you soon guys!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

PS: Fav color?...
Old 2/27/07 | 08:11 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Does it come with the "My color" dials?
Yes.

Would you change a Lotus Elise and a Cobra Replica for a GT500?
That would depend on their present condition and value. Did you mean both as an even trade for the GT500 or selling them to buy a GT500?

Would you leave everything original?
Absolutely.

Would you add extra sound stuff and performance parts?
What for? Do you race professionally? The performance is a quite a bit over most cars, the handling is very good, it sounds great, its design is unique without being over the top and while you are asking questions ask yourself which other Mustang out of the box do you remember to come close to the '07 GT500 package?

Every single model since 1965 has had an if, but, or asterisk attached to them to them, without exemption. This one isn't missing a thing. No mods are needed unless a split of a second is important, then by all means have another $10K ready to dispose.
Old 2/27/07 | 08:30 PM
GT Member

Mustang out of the box do you remember to come close to the '07 GT500 package?

The Saleen S281 SC or Roush Stage 3 are a step ahead hands down. Just my 2 cents if you are going to spend 40K plus.
Old 2/27/07 | 09:38 PM

Not even close. Otherwise their popularity and demand would be a lot greater and apparently it is not.
Old 2/28/07 | 03:35 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

1 BULLITT:
I meant to sell a lotus elise and a cobra replica to buy a GT500...
Old 2/28/07 | 03:47 PM

I drove a Lotus once, it was a very nice ride, a bit under powered for my taste and felt confined. I've never driven the AC Cobra so I can't offer an opinion. I do enjoy the GT500 more than any other Mustang I've ever had. Warning: if you wind up getting one your grin can only be removed with extensive plastic surgery.
Old 2/28/07 | 05:01 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

LOL: "Warning: if you wind up getting one your grin can only be removed with extensive plastic surgery."

Anyway... Im 25 years old... Im car crazy... Actually I own several cars but in order to get a shelby I would have to sell some... and I dont know if I should do it or not... U see mustangs everyday (I love them dont get me wrong) but not shelbys and not even lotus, lets say Ive got the only lotus in my state so it kinda gets some people looking (chicks)... and the cobra is every guy wet dream LOL... but the cobra is a reply aka fiber glass and will always be... the lotus is a lotus, lot of racing history and Ive never driven something that handles sooooooo goooooood!... and I know the shelby will spin the tails every day... Heck I can beat vettes, bmws, vipers, stangs, anything on a closed curse or on the bents of a highway, not on the 1/4 mile... and now I dont know what to do, keep the lotus for life and have a car that nobody else down here haves, or buy a shelby that is a mustang LOL.... help please??
Old 2/28/07 | 05:17 PM
GT Member

Well 1 Bullitt, I whole heartenly have to disagree with you on best quality out of the box package for a mustang. I agree the Shelby nameplate has alot more popularity and keepsake with 60s musclecar fanatics then it does with my generation of go fast goodies. Pretty obvious with the high demand of individuals willing to pay big ADMs. With the integration of the information age today making your own corvette eater is easier then ever. Alot has changed since the 60s. Maybe we can agree today's Carrol Shelby's are Jack Roush and Steve Saleen in the sense they are mustang tuners. I am not sure what experience you have with both lines of products, but I am pretty familar with the SVT products and the Saleen products. Nothing against the SVT/FORD product, its good, but everything off the FORD product line can use improvement. All in all the Saleen product is a step above the GT 500 from the ground up in my opinion and it still holds the warranty. Sit in one, drive in one, race them, put them side by side at any show, the Saleen grabs more attention hands down. YES the product is trully geared towards a specific Performance Mustang Buyer beyond the GT 500 scope so I will agree with you there that it is not the Mustang for everyone. The Shelby is definity for those who want a more conservative old school muscle car. (Big power, big weight, yet unrefined). If your ever in the KS area feel free to drop me a line we can stop by the roadcourse track for a proving session. Thats how the smile on your face will be GONE IN 60 SECONDS!
Old 2/28/07 | 06:23 PM

... GONE IN 60 SECONDS?

For some it can be an inspiring influence, a bench mark for expert driving skills. Nicholas Cage can beat the pants off Bondurant any day of the week and twice on Sundays, so why bother? I don't need the embarrassment, you can be crowned as the winner.

The top of the line Saleen(s) and Roush(s) do have an edge on the suspension over the GT500, but that is were it stops. Of course, if the preference is for the out of the box cheesy body kits and interiors both your choices will tie for first place without any competition from the GT500.

As for the Shelby nameplate, that's all it is. It's pure SVT. Otherwise we would have the crooked grilles, the warped hood scoops, and the stick on signature plates.
Old 2/28/07 | 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ARF
... lets say Ive got the only lotus in my state so it kinda gets some people looking (chicks)... and the cobra is every guy wet dream LOL... but the cobra is a reply aka fiber glass and will always be... the lotus is a lotus, lot of racing history and Ive never driven something that handles sooooooo goooooood!... and I know the shelby will spin the tails every day... Heck I can beat vettes, bmws, vipers, stangs, anything on a closed curse or on the bents of a highway, not on the 1/4 mile... and now I dont know what to do, keep the lotus for life and have a car that nobody else down here haves, or buy a shelby that is a mustang LOL.... help please??
I care not about the looks, they come with the territory.

My main concern and deciding factor in choosing high performance Mustangs has always been to be able to enjoy the driving experience, mostly on weekends during the early hours when open roads are mostly deserted. Others' perceptions and challanges during those times are transparent and ignored. I am too busy feeling the coordination of my senses and how the car responds to my talents or short comings to adhere to someone's insecurities.

At the end of the day what's important is the car and the good times.
Old 2/28/07 | 08:02 PM
GT Member

Well at least you saw the movie and the humor. I can't speak for Nicolas Cage's driving skills although if I do recall correctly Chip Foose provided the desinged GT 500 for the movie. I will let Bob Bondurant know who you think his competition is.

As for the body kits I can't speak for the Roush kit, alhough I know the Saleen kit is based on the extensive wind tunnel testing done on the S7. There is a performance model on the Saleen website that shows airflow patterns and the function of the kit. I would envision Roush being a diehard racing guy himself has some functionality designed into his kit. I use the term cheesy to address designed products with no functional development. Matter of opinion I guess. I get confused sometiemes, is it the vinyl or the painted racing stripes that give a car 25 more horsepower?

The Shelby nameplate is an expensive one at that.

I will agree agree with you on those Saleen Seats. Saleen must think all we do is race these things with all that bolstering.

As for the orginal question on this thread, if you want a GT 500 go out get one now if its a must have or wait a few for one. Ford is making plenty of them you will find them at MSRP soon enough and used ones are just starting to show up on autotrader and other lots. NO I would not sell your LOTUS Elise, that is a rare enough car to get your hands on.
Old 3/1/07 | 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm curios, are most dealers in Mexico getting Shelbys or was it a special order?
Old 3/1/07 | 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by NiteHawk422
.... I get confused sometiemes, is it the vinyl or the painted racing stripes that give a car 25 more horsepower?

Don't be, it's definately the paint.

That's why Saleen's same color two-tone paint jobs are standard and performance proven. They should file for an exclusive patent and charge for it as the ultimate aero dynamic upgrade.