Shelby Gt-500 Clutch Drag! You Better Sit Down

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/08, 05:34 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Shelby Gt-500 Clutch Drag! You Better Sit Down

Just an FYI GT-500 Owners. If you Have any of these Clutch or Transmission Problems Best to get it done before the Warranty is up! Do not Snooze! If you Read between the Lines it pretty much {implies} the GT-500 Clutch is not for Continuous Stop and Go Traffic. In fact I know of a Local Dealers Wife who Ran a Gt-500 through a Long Parade and Fried the Clutch. I am Not trying to make anybody paranoid but simply want to inform. I took all the Part Numbers Listed on the TSB and With Labor Total Cost for this is 5 to 6 k at your Local Dealer Depending on Parts Mark up and Labor Rate. Be Advised!
NO PARADES for my GT-500 Thank you!

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb08-16-04shelbyclutch.pdf (50.7 KB, 1897 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/19/08 at 05:56 PM.
Old 8/19/08, 08:26 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Is it for a particular year or all years?

As for the parade and the local dealer's wife frying the clutch, doesn't that tell you something?

Old 8/20/08, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Is it for a particular year or all years?

As for the parade and the local dealer's wife frying the clutch, doesn't that tell you something?

I can tell you this. Ford does not come out with TSB's Unless there is really a concern. Realize many Gt-500's are toys and Do not Get very many miles put on them. Example My Car had I not had to have started to Commute in it would have had only 3k miles on it after a year. So in theory it should have taken awhile for a Problem to Surface. The quote Clutch Kit uses the Latest Clutch Disc which went into production 04/22/08 So I would Assume it is an Updated design and That Cars Produced after this Date would be Less Likely to Develop the Concern. Still no Parades for me!

KC
Old 8/30/08, 11:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a few of the symptoms described in the TSB about six months ago. It all started in April when I took my car to the track for the first time, running three times. Once staged and off the brake pedal, the car inched forward. The next day, shifting into second and sixth became tougher. At that time, I reported it to the dealership but that I did not want any work done at that time, simply because the TSB was not released AND it was something I could live with.

Last night, I raced the car again (twice). On the first pass, I missed second gear. Obviously because second gear was adversely affected in April. After this pass and back in the pits, I noticed that very distinctive odor of clutch disc material. After the second pass, everything seemed normal. I shut the car off in the pits and let it cool down. About 20 minutes later, I got back in and started it. I could not get the tranny into ANY gear!!! Only with a ton of force was I able to get it into second. Today, the car was towed to the dealership. It's hard for me to believe that the clutch fried after a total of only five passes, especially knowing that I am a very passive driver on the streets.
Old 9/2/08, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I just got a chance to see the physical clutch this past weekend (someone elses car) and I gotta tell ya, I'm not surprised there are issues. The clutch I looked at had about 7K miles on it and it was just about done. Not alot of material on these things...
Old 9/2/08, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Kevin,

Do you have an itemization of the $5k - $6k cost for this job? I'm curious what the parts cost.

I just received a phone call from the dealership. The work will be done. Check this out though: Approval was needed from the service manager because my car has 13k miles, 1k over the warranty. The advisor told me a clutch is a wearable part and only covered in the 12/12k warranty period. I thought a TSB was sufficient regardless of mileage. Apparently it is not. Fortunately I took my car in months ago when it had 11k miles so the dealership could document that I had some of the symptoms listed on the TSB. I told them at that time that I did not want any work done until the TSB was released. My approach apparently worked.

Willie
Old 9/2/08, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Willie
Kevin,

Do you have an itemization of the $5k - $6k cost for this job? I'm curious what the parts cost.

I just received a phone call from the dealership. The work will be done. Check this out though: Approval was needed from the service manager because my car has 13k miles, 1k over the warranty. The advisor told me a clutch is a wearable part and only covered in the 12/12k warranty period. I thought a TSB was sufficient regardless of mileage. Apparently it is not. Fortunately I took my car in months ago when it had 11k miles so the dealership could document that I had some of the symptoms listed on the TSB. I told them at that time that I did not want any work done until the TSB was released. My approach apparently worked.

Willie
Recalls Do Not Expire. TSB's are Only Good For Whatever Warranty Period Stated on the TSB. If enough People Squeek this could possably become a Recall. FYI the Major Items Are Backorderd at This Time. As Far as yor other question here are the Retail Prices on the Major Items in this Tsb.

Flywheel Kit $1308.30
Clutch Kit $1667.13
Transkit $1440.23

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/2/08 at 12:16 PM.
Old 9/3/08, 05:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
they need an Alien material to with stand all that Power ! plain & simple huh .
Old 9/8/08, 01:17 PM

I posted a Link to this over on The Shelby Site. Lets see How Many Clutch Issues Surface.

KC
Old 9/8/08, 03:43 PM

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...topic=32271&hl=

Check out the Tons of Info at Team Shelby!

KC
Old 9/9/08, 11:49 AM

To Find out if your Car is Covered by the TSB you will Need to Contact your Dealer . You will Need Vin Number and Milage. Ask Them to Run an OASIS for a Clutch Concern. The CAUSEL Base Part Number as Per the TSB is 6375. Your Car will Need to have had the Concerns as Listed by the TSB. Ford will Not Simply Replace these parts as Requested. See Enclosed Pic of Info I pulled on Car. As Per Printout My car is Covered under the 3/36 Bumper to Bumper Warranty. This Info is Provided as an FYI Only. Realize that Just because a TSB Exists for a Model not Every Car is Going to Qualify for the TSB. It Must come up on OASIS. Note PDF Below is Ford Warranty Coverage Book.
Attached Thumbnails Shelby Gt-500 Clutch Drag! You Better Sit Down-warranty.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07frdwa5u.pdf (513.6 KB, 515 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/9/08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 9/9/08, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
My car is Covered under the 3/36 Bumper to Bumper Warranty.
So, it is covered under the 3/36 and not a 12/12. Correct? I guess someone needs to educate the service advisor that told Willie that it was 12/12.

Originally Posted by Willie
The advisor told me a clutch is a wearable part and only covered in the 12/12k warranty period.
Willie
My 08 has 3200 miles so far. No issues with grinding, etc. It does have a very slight shudder/chatter if I baby it when starting from a dead stop. Get a little more aggressive with the starts and there is no issue. I just want to make sure that I've got another 26 months of coverage. (delivered 12-21-07)

Last edited by Dave_C; 9/9/08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 9/9/08, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave_C
So, it is covered under the 3/36 and not a 12/12. Correct? I guess someone needs to educate the service advisor that told Willie that it was 12/12.

My 08 has 3200 miles so far. No issues with grinding, etc. It does have a very slight shudder/chatter if I baby it when starting from a dead stop. Get a little more aggressive with the starts and there is no issue. I just want to make sure that I've got another 26 months of coverage. (delivered 12-21-07)
The shudder is normal. It is a characteristic of the dual disc clutch.
Old 9/16/08, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
To Find out if your Car is Covered by the TSB you will Need to Contact your Dealer . You will Need Vin Number and Milage. Ask Them to Run an OASIS for a Clutch Concern. The CAUSEL Base Part Number as Per the TSB is 6375. Your Car will Need to have had the Concerns as Listed by the TSB. Ford will Not Simply Replace these parts as Requested. See Enclosed Pic of Info I pulled on Car. As Per Printout My car is Covered under the 3/36 Bumper to Bumper Warranty. This Info is Provided as an FYI Only. Realize that Just because a TSB Exists for a Model not Every Car is Going to Qualify for the TSB. It Must come up on OASIS. Note PDF Below is Ford Warranty Coverage Book.
POST 11

Update.

As Per My Ford Contact The Flywheel Clutch Concern also Has 5 Yr 60,000 Mile Powertrain Coverage. The Way OASIS is Programmed it only Shows Warranty Coverage per Milage Submitted. If You input 36,001 The Coverage Changes From Bumper to Bumper to Powertrain Coverage. If you Punch in 60,001 and do not Have ESP it will say NO Coverage. Now if you Bought FORD ESP you May Also have Additional Coverage. You would have to have them Type in 60,001 and See what the Oasis Shows. I do not Have ESP on My Car so I have Not Researched Coverage Beyond Powertrain Coverage. Also Be Aware Many FORD Dealers Sell ESP that is Not FORD Brand ESP. You would have to Contact the Dealer and Have Them Check if your Aftermarket ESP Covers TSB Repairs. I make no Guarantee's This Stated Coverage is True For All Cars and All States. This is Simply the Info as Per My Shelby and is an FYI!

KC

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...5&#entry521275
my Team Shelby Clutch Topic

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/16/08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 9/8/09, 06:30 PM

clutch

We have a 08 shelby and i was wondering i am experiencing the clutch you are talking about. i driven 4 speed all my life and i stall this car all the time and never did before. unless i really drive pretty aggressively it will stall. car only has 3000 miles thanks
Old 9/9/09, 05:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gonup2
We have a 08 shelby and i was wondering i am experiencing the clutch you are talking about. i driven 4 speed all my life and i stall this car all the time and never did before. unless i really drive pretty aggressively it will stall. car only has 3000 miles thanks
Most (likely all) of these cars drive like that. The dual disc clutch is finicky. They will also shudder a lot when taking off.

The bad clutch issue typically has more to do with things like the car creeping with the clutch down, hissing with the clutch all the way down (they hiss normally, but should not when all the way to the floor) and sometimes gear grinding. There is a tsb about it somewhere.

If you have doubts, check with your dealer and have them check to see if the tsb applies to your car and if it exhibits the symptoms.

Welcome to TMS (assuming you are new and not just having to start over after the board crashed). Post of pics of your beauty.
Old 9/9/09, 10:22 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Most (likely all) of these cars drive like that. The dual disc clutch is finicky. They will also shudder a lot when taking off.

The bad clutch issue typically has more to do with things like the car creeping with the clutch down, hissing with the clutch all the way down (they hiss normally, but should not when all the way to the floor) and sometimes gear grinding. There is a tsb about it somewhere.
Yes but this could also be related to the pilot bearing. I've read a couple of posts before about the pilot bearing seizing as well as throw out bearing issues on some GT's.
Old 9/9/09, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by gonup2
In regards to pulling away from a Stop Sign the GT-500 Clutch seems to have a mind of it's own. After Driving Mine 20k+ Miles I am pretty used to it but it still is goofy compared to my previous GT/CS 5 speed.

I will tell you this. After Driving Two 500's with 3.73 Gears it is definetely an Upgrade I will be doing. It makes traffic Light starts a whole lot more Comfortable. You don't have to OVER REV like you do with the 3.31's. If you get a chance to Drive a KR you will see what I mean. The FRPP shifter is also a Great Upgrade for Drivability.

KC
Old 9/11/09, 08:31 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice, I dont generally have a problem pulling away from lights (the clutch action in my GT was definetly smoother), but when I'm really on the move and shifting fast I seem to out run the shifter with the clutch. I can feel some gnashing as I get it into the next gear (1-2 shift IIRC).

I'm hoping a short throw shifter will solve the last bit, but the 3.73s would be a welcome adition also (has anybody given 3.55s a whirl?)
Old 9/12/09, 03:29 PM

Any Idea what a rear end gear change should run. like to 3.73's I though that would probably make the stop sign take off a lot better. I saw the gears for less than $200. Do they have to change the trans gear or is that all computer now?

Quick Reply: Shelby Gt-500 Clutch Drag! You Better Sit Down