SHELBY Clones should be patent/copyright prosecuted!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/06, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHELBY Clones should be patent/copyright prosecuted!!!

I saw a Shelby Clone over the weekend. From the exterior, the only giveaway were the exhaust tips, the rear spoiler and the Shelby lettering, which SHE had done clear across the deck lid.

I feel that Shelby Enterprises and FoMoCo should prosecute those imposters for patent/copyright infringement.

FoMoCo should also only allow Shelby body panels to be ordered by Ford dealers supplying a valid Shelby VIN.

What a travesty!! NO POM POMS HERE! TWO THUMBS DOWN!!!
Old 10/8/06, 08:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shelby_sez
I saw a Shelby Clone over the weekend. From the exterior, the only giveaway were the exhaust tips, the rear spoiler and the Shelby lettering, which SHE had done clear across the deck lid.

I feel that Shelby Enterprises and FoMoCo should prosecute those imposters for patent/copyright infringement.

FoMoCo should also only allow Shelby body panels to be ordered by Ford dealers supplying a valid Shelby VIN.

Clones have been, and will continue to be, made for 40 or more years. Not only Fords and Shelbys, but all coveted brands. Ford is going to sell all the parts they can. If they didn't, then the aftermarket people would (and will). Imagine the market for wannabes. As a GT500 owner I don't feel any ill will towards clones. Raise the hood and the truth shall set you free. I have considered a 66 GT350 clone, as the original is not only cost prohibitive, but I would have a stroke just driving that baby around. Some people will never be able to afford a GT500, so let them emjoy thier clone.
Old 10/8/06, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I for one will probably never be able to afford a 07 GT500 or any shelby for that matter, but my favorite car is the 66 GT350 and if I can I will eventually clone one. The only bad thing about cloning is the owners that try to push their clones off as original. I owned a 01 Bullitt so I know about cloners and it doesn't bother me. Enjoy your GT500!
Old 10/8/06, 09:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 127bull
I for one will probably never be able to afford a 07 GT500 or any shelby for that matter, but my favorite car is the 66 GT350 and if I can I will eventually clone one. The only bad thing about cloning is the owners that try to push their clones off as original. I owned a 01 Bullitt so I know about cloners and it doesn't bother me. Enjoy your GT500!
So right bull. Clones are fine as long as not you don't try to push it off as the original. The 66 GT500 is also my favorite. Too bad I can't swing 150-200K for one. Oh lord, thats enough for a small house. If I could, i'd be afraid to drive it. Thats where the clone comes in.
Old 10/8/06, 09:55 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
... I feel that Shelby Enterprises and FoMoCo should prosecute those imposters for patent/copyright infringement...
Don't concern yourself. Both companies have excelled in prosecuting and persecuting quite a few of those imposters.

But you are missing the point. Cloning is accepted and encouraged by these companies for various reasons, mainly money. Think of it as women and breast enlargements. They might be fake, but are accepted and encouraged.

Old 10/8/06, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Shelby_Sez to a degree. I have a 05 GT that I did a Shelby front bumper conversion. But I DON'T try to push my car off as a Shelby. I have V6 side badges (because I like the ponies better) and a GT emlem on the rear. In my opnion it's all about making a custom car that looks best TO ME.

I also have a Mystic Cobra, and can't say that I hate those that clone thier GTs to look like Cobras. When they have Cobra logos (facing the wrong way at that) is where i have issues.

Take care
Jesse
Old 10/8/06, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

The only thing illegal about putting a shelby front on a GT is selling the car as a shelby. Which in time might be attempted by some, but that is nothing new. I still run into original GTO clones from time to time trying to be passed off as real cars. It happens every day. But still sucks.

Look at it this way. If ford really wanted to stop people from buying the parts they could. Some parts porsche sells (repro decals, etc) will only be released by porsche after you fill out a form with your VIN and send in copies of your drivers license, title, and registration. This is done to prevent realistic clones from being made for false sale.

HOWEVER. Even if ford did stop selling the shelby parts. Some aftermarket company would make a replica nose with very slight differences that could not be distinguised unless you compared them up close. It would be different enough though to prevent them from being sued. Look at the wheel compaines. The replica wheels mimic the factory ones, but are in no way exact.

But I dont see anything wrong with some guy wanting his car to look like a shelby. Even if he puts shelby badging on it, who cares??? As long as he doesent sell it as such. Should I be ****ed if a V6 guys puts GT parts on his car?? I could care less. Or should an 07 GT owner get mad because ford sells the engine covers by the pallet to 05 and 06 owners? Just as I could care less what shelby owners think about the SVT brakes that are going on my car soon.

Ford is selling parts right now and I am sure they are happy about it. That is all I know.

But as far as this whole idea of "posers" running around out there, IMO people should worry more about their own cars and less about everyone elses.

Personally, not everyone is crazy about the shelby nose anyway so I wouldnt be too worried about it. After seeing one in person, it is different and has a look to it, and looks better IMO than roush and saleen, but I still think the GT nose is a bit more retro looking and takes visual weight out of the car. But to each his own I guess.
Old 10/8/06, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
... In my opnion it's all about making a custom car that looks best TO ME.
Do you think it is possible for the subject of this topic to be doing the same thing as you and many others are? What makes it a clone for some and legit for others?

Carroll Shelby himself has endorsed and autographed clones. They might be classified as restores or reproductions but the bottom line is they are clones.
Old 10/8/06, 11:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
But you are missing the point. Cloning is accepted and encouraged by these companies for various reasons, mainly money. Think of it as women and breast enlargements. They might be fake, but are accepted and encouraged.

Old 10/8/06, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

While its unfortunate that clones get sold as the real cars that the clone is based on, subjecting people who build clones to lawsuits and court cases would just open a huge can of worms. Anyone who puts their own custom touch on their car would then be at the mercy of ford, or shelby or whoever thinks the car looks to much like an original.

If I paint my car (red 2000 Stang GT with grey bullitt wheels) dark green and throw on a stainless fuel door, would Ford then be able to look at my car and say "Wow, that looks way too much like the Bullitts we made a few years back. Get rid or the green paint or we sue."? Everyone is free to build and customize their car however they want to, especially when ford, shelby, saleen, roush, etc sell their parts specifically for that reason.
Old 10/8/06, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mudshuvel319
While its unfortunate that clones get sold as the real cars that the clone is based on, subjecting people who build clones to lawsuits and court cases would just open a huge can of worms. Anyone who puts their own custom touch on their car would then be at the mercy of ford, or shelby or whoever thinks the car looks to much like an original.

If I paint my car (red 2000 Stang GT with grey bullitt wheels) dark green and throw on a stainless fuel door, would Ford then be able to look at my car and say "Wow, that looks way too much like the Bullitts we made a few years back. Get rid or the green paint or we sue."? Everyone is free to build and customize their car however they want to, especially when ford, shelby, saleen, roush, etc sell their parts specifically for that reason.
+1
Old 10/8/06, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mastersmech1
+1
Ditto
Old 10/8/06, 03:01 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simma-dow-now.

Who cares? I can see for making as much money on the sale of Shelby parts as they do on the GT500 itself. Ford needs all the financial help they can get. And if people are going to take their perfectly good OEM Ford parts and buy additional Shelby Ford parts, then Ford and Shelby are both happy. You don't see GT500's sitting on dealer's lots not being able to be sold.
Old 10/8/06, 06:13 PM

Do you guys remember the 2K Cobra R, the exclusive 300?

If you do you might recall that every single part which made up the R was made available to the public by the aftermarket and the main supplier, Ford Racing Parts.
Old 10/8/06, 07:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call my car a clone if you want, but you won't find the word shelby, the word cobra. or the number 500 anywhere on my car. Just like 2L8IWON, I just liked the look. I know mine isn't a shelby and I'm not trying to pass it off as one.
Old 10/8/06, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Call my car a clone if you want...
CLONE!

I've seen the pics. Your car looks great, done in good taste. No explanations are needed. I thought about my GT, following your foot steps and also painting it DHG. I just didn't want to spend the cash. I thought my GT was the best looking around here until I saw yours.

Enjoy.
Old 10/8/06, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Prosecute people for customizing their cars?? How very un-American.

It's just parts on a car, let it go. It's not illegal until they try and sell it as one.
Old 10/9/06, 09:08 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=48624
Well, well,
Considering I'm the first to put on the 07 Shelby parts, I would be the first to get sued! The problem with the lawsuits would be that you couldn't get any monetary compensation out of me, because all of the money has been sunk into the car! Besides, Carroll Shelby Has seen the car, and autographed the passenger side of the dash panel!

Pat
Old 10/9/06, 09:18 AM

I have shelby stripes on mine, but I wouldn't dream of putting any Shelby badges on it. I have no problem or see anythin wrong with making a clone as long as no Shelby badges are used.
Old 10/9/06, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I am all for prosecuting anyone that would pass off a clone as original. But with the price of shelby's (old and new) taking everyone to court would only ensure that the very rich get to enjoy these cars.

Quick Reply: SHELBY Clones should be patent/copyright prosecuted!!!