Paint problems need help guys!

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/07, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint problems need help guys!

It Looks Like I made a big mistake letting my ford dealer detail my gt500 . They promised me they had a professional detailer that would take out the few scratches it had in the clearcoat. Now upon looking under flourecent light i discovered my hole car is scratched to hell bad. Can anyone please tell me what my options are. I have already tried some hand waxing with nxt and nothing worked. The dealer says it will have to be wet sanded to remove the scratches. My question is wont that ruin the clearcoat and dull the paint. Im going in to talk to the manager today.Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
Old 2/10/07, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wet sanding will cut the top layer of paint down to get rid of the scratches. it will be dull at first untill they buff it out with a polisher.

I'd be leery of them wet sanding my car, considering they screwed up the previous buff job. If done improperly wet sanding could take your clearcoat all the way down to the basecoat. Then you are stuck with a whole new paint problem. I'd make them pay to have the polishing done by a different professional detailing company.

The other route you could take is doing the polishing yourself with a fine polish. NXT is only a wax and won't get rid of fine scratches. To get rid of fine scratches i'd recommend "The Wax Shop - Safe Cut" http://www.waxshop.com/
My father-in-law got me hooked on it. He's been using it on his black show cars for years and the paint always look like glass. It's some amazing stuff.
Old 2/10/07, 01:28 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Is the dealer the same one you bought the car from?
Old 2/10/07, 02:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about that. I agree that you should take it elsewhere and send the bill to the dealership. That $5k over you paid should help them afford to have the car done right.

I doubt you would be able to get it out with hand polishes. I do my own with a random orbital (Porter Cable 7424) and griots garage polishes. But, honestly, I'd have this one done professionally in case you cannot get them out or cause more by doing it yourself. Then, once it is fixed, never trust anyone to do the work. No one cares as much about your car as you do.
Old 2/10/07, 02:15 PM

For future reference. Meguiar's CLEANER WAX done by hand not with a buffer leaves no swirls without scratching the clearcoat. It leaves a very smooth shining finish.
Old 2/10/07, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

When I ordered my car I specified that NO dealer prep was to be done. No wash, wax, buff, nothing.

My paint has never seen a buffer and it never will as long as I own it. Everything is hand-applied Zaino. You will NEVER see buffer swirls in my paint!

Maybe one day a buffer will be needed. But it will be a last resort option.

Mark
Old 2/10/07, 04:56 PM

Ya its the same dealer.
Old 2/10/07, 05:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a job done by a cheap microfiber cloth. I know some people love those things, but I started to use one once in my garage and immediately started to see those tiny marks in the clear. (Garage also has fluorescent lights)

I'm with Mark. I didn't even let the dealer take the plastic off the seats. No buffers here either.
Old 2/10/07, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 12 Oz J
Ya its the same dealer.
Unless the dealer is willing to do what it takes, your first step should be to consult the matter with an attorney followed by seeking professional opinions from independent top quality body shops on the best methods to resolve the issue. Also advise the automobile insurance company which BTW, is financially responsible for any damage to your car. If they have to pay, they will go after the responsible party(s) for reimbursement.
Old 2/10/07, 05:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Wet sanding, if done right, then polished, will work. I would only do this if all other methods have been exhasted.
Old 2/10/07, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
But, honestly, I'd have this one done professionally in case you cannot get them out or cause more by doing it yourself. Then, once it is fixed, never trust anyone to do the work. No one cares as much about your car as you do.
I agree.

You might want to spend some time at the Meguiars forum and see if you can link up with someone in your area.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/

Mike, the guy that runs their forum, is very helpful.
Old 2/10/07, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

It Looks Like I made a big mistake letting my ford dealer detail my gt500 . They promised me they had a professional detailer that would take out the few scratches it had in the clearcoat. Now upon looking under flourecent light i discovered my hole car is scratched to hell bad. Can anyone please tell me what my options are. I have already tried some hand waxing with nxt and nothing worked. The dealer says it will have to be wet sanded to remove the scratches. My question is wont that ruin the clearcoat and dull the paint. Im going in to talk to the manager today.Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
Bummer, 12Oz J.
I would do it myself or only with someone you completely trust. Watch out for the stripes, too. Good luck with that!
Old 2/12/07, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
For future reference. Meguiar's CLEANER WAX done by hand not with a buffer leaves no swirls without scratching the clearcoat. It leaves a very smooth shining finish.
This is a very good product and i have used it on my previous redfire S197. Zaino is good also. By Hand with USA White Cotton is the best.

Wet sanding should only be done by Factory Trained Tech. that is licensed and has many years of experiance. Often, the wet sanding will produce burn or scuff marks and a slight layer of the paint is actually sloughed off in the process. Get the machine (not sure what it is called) and measure the mils of paint first and then measure again after. Then, the Tech. will buff to a high polish and reapply the clear and let the car sit in the paint booth for a min. of four hours. Eight is best.

A good all over buff and re-clear on you car can turn out better than Factory if done correctly. Problem is, there are actually few Techs. around that can do that good a job. I watched the process entirely on my redfire and they did more than Factory on the CC;- she looked like glass. Even more so than the GT500 with 15 coats of Zaino on her.
Old 2/12/07, 06:32 PM

OJ- I hurt with you my friend. I didnt let the dealer touch my car b4 I picked it up for that specific reason. The first week I had it I went straight to my detailer for him to survey the paint. He washed it, clayed, and polished where necessary (yes, even a new car will benefit from claying) I researched everything about auto detailing while I was waiting for my car to be built. The guy I use is amazing and is highly rated on the autopia.org forums under the name "RAG". He's here in San Diego and I'm sure if you would email him some good pics of the damage he'll know exactly what to do. If you're interested, PM me your contact info and I'll put you two in touch. If you end up coming down to San Diego I can coordinate it so that you can meet up with a few other Shelby's. while you're here. Let me know.
Old 3/3/07, 11:27 AM

Happy to report that last saturday i took my shelby to MK detailing in Ontario,Ca. The owners name is mike and he did a great job on my car. Most of the scratches came out. Some are still there but not as noticeable. The car looked awesome when i picked it up. The dealer picked up the bill so i guess i can live with it. Mike was also great in giving alot of helpfull advice.
Old 3/4/07, 11:00 AM
GT Member

I just took delivery of my Shelby and the paint job has a few imperfections. gray splotches under the clearcoat. Anyone know what this might be or aware of this problem. I tried to rub out with Zaino Fusion but no luck . I think it is under the clear coat.
Old 3/5/07, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

If upon speaking with the Dealership Management and achieving no resolution, it may require seeking legal help as 1Bullitt Suggested earlier.
Making any effort on your part to fix it may null the chanches of getting the Dealer to pay for the repairs.

I would get estimates of damage and cost of repair from certified specialty shops and take them to the Dealer with you. Show them you are educated on the kind of damage it is and also what it would take to repair it. Then, with evidence in hand, the Dealer may be more willing to repair her. Your agreement in urchasing the car is that she be in "Factory New Condition" upon delivery.
Old 3/15/07, 01:05 AM
eci
Banned

It's a car.
Old 3/15/07, 05:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci
It's a car.
You claim to own 3 Mustangs and you make a statement like "it's just a car"?

You of all people should understand the passion people have for their Mustangs.
Old 3/15/07, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
You claim to own 3 Mustangs and you make a statement like "it's just a car"?

You of all people should understand the passion people have for their Mustangs.
I am the proud Momma of two kids - Angel and Jackie and they are my prode and joy.

Jackie was at the shop just this morning to schedule for her regular "beauty treatment" - lol - paint touch up work before show season.

I have no problem admitting my addiction..er...I mean, hobby.