1. Take one Shelby GT500
2. Add a Stig
3. Toss in a Nürburgring
4. Mix at high speed for 30 minutes
5. Sprinkle in extra points for hitting a Clarkson

Old 6/13/06, 06:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to give the motor trend guys some credit they are not mostly dedicated drag racers like for MM&FF and they test every car out there not just mustangs. i feel the motor trend guys give a good estimate to what the average guy or gal would get if they took the car out to the track on a weekend test and tune.
Old 6/13/06, 07:07 AM
GT Member

Some algebra

Let's simplify. Take all the 0-60mph times and general fastest mag times that you accept as the best but accurate for many sports and muscle cars. Take note of the listed horsepower of course, and the listed weight.
All these cars are designed to put power to the ground well, all things being equal, since they're not designed to pull trailers.
Added weight of between 112lbs-118lbs (average115lbs) is a penalty of 1/10th of a second, as it is a bonus if you minus that weight. Every addition of 15-17 HP is a bonus of 1/10th second, or a penalty if minused.
Apply this to any of the given times you know to be true and add and subtract the above variations of any new car or change that is being made.
You will end up dead on, or 1/10th of a second accurate of the real time for the car in question.
2006 Mustang GT 300hp, 3490lbs, 5.1-5.2 fastest mag times
2006 C-6 Corvette 400hp, 3180lbs, 4.2-4.3 fastest mag times.
2007 Shelby GT500 500hp, 3920lbs, 4.3 fastest time so far.

C-6 time, add 310 lbs(Mustang GT 3490llb) 310divided by 166= 2.6 1/10ths loss from weight and less 100hp divided by 16hp=6.25 1/10ths second loss.
2.7(1/10ths)loss + 6.25(1/10ths)loss = 8.95(or) 9 1/10ths loss of speed.
4.2 second 0-60mph(C-6Corvette) adding 9 1/10ths second = 5.1 sec 0-60 mph(Mustang GT)
C-6 time, add 740lbs(GT500) 740lbs divided by 115lbs =6.4 1/10ths loss,then add 100hp gain(400-500) divided by 16hp = 6.25 1/10ths gained.
6.4 loss + 6.25gain = -.15 1/10ths second or next 1/10th slower.
4.2 1/10ths second minus 1/10th slower = 4.3 second 0-60mph(GT500).

If you factor the weight between 112-118lb loss or gain, and 15-17HP loss or gain, these numbers work for any standard sports or muscle car between 200-600 hp within 1/10ths accurate. Try it with any known mag times, and add and subtract weight and HP, to arrive at other times.

C-6 time, add 1000lbs (Dodge Charger SRT 4180lbs) divided by 115lbs= 9 1/10ths second loss and add 25HP gain(425hp engine) divided by 16 = 1.5 seconds added 1/10ths. 9sec loss + 1.5 sec gain =7.5 total loss.
4.2 sec 0-60 minus 7.5 1/10ths loss = 4.95 1/10ths 0-60mph for the Dodge Charger SRT(fastest mag timewas between 4.9-5.0 sec).

C-6 time (4.2 sec) add 585lbs(2006 GTO 3765lbs) 585lbs divided by 115lbs = 5.0 1/10ths second penalty, both cars are at 400hp.
4.2 sec 0-60mph(C-6) minus 5 1/10ths second weight penalty(GTO) = 4.7sec 0-60mph, which is the accepted best time for 2006 GTO

It goes on and on. Try it yourselves, and do the 1/4 mile conversions from known 0-60mph speeds to known 1/4 mile speeds. It works too. Erik
Attached Thumbnails Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Doesn't Disappoint-eriksmustang-.jpg  
Old 6/13/06, 07:11 AM
GT Member

Oops!

that's 310lb divided by 116lb
Old 6/13/06, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

So this car is a mid 12 second car. If the grandma's were able to get 13.1 to 12.9 and the fastest it ran was a 12.2, then the average driver should be able to get 12.5s out of this thing. It should be easier to launch down the track since now you don't have to deal with the IRS. I think overall as at GT car, this is one car that is worth every 40,000 pennies, but no more.
Old 6/13/06, 09:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

This car would be amazing, but the weight of the car hampers it. A proper performance car should not weight nearly 2 tons. An Aluminum block should have been used, which would have saved 175 pounds. Aluminum suspension bits should have also been used. Heck, add a Balsa wood floor like the C5/C6 to shave weight. The GT500 should have come in around 3500 lbs and not 3920. If you shaved 420 lbs off the car it would handle, brake, and accelerate even better. It seems that when Ford builds a performance car, they don't engineer a total package and come up with excuses as to why they didn't do this and that. Another 2K over MSRP will get you a base C6 and we all know that the C6 is a vastly superior performance car.
Old 6/13/06, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

C6 = a beast

GT500 should at least keep up with, if not even with, a C6 until mid 2nd gear, 3rd gear.

We could've used a Corvette killer without having to pay $80k for it. They should have upped the price tag for the GT500 to right under $50K and had the aluminum block, and a lot of weight reduction. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford just slapped in the same seats as a normal GT. If the GT500 would weigh between 3000 and 3500 we'd be seeing a lot better numbers. More people would pay for it and they would make more money off of it, thus allowing them to mass produce it so all us 'average schmucks' could even see it on the road, or even in a garage surrounded by 5 armed gaurds.
Old 6/13/06, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Well, for me, the ingredients for a PROPER Shelby test are as follows:

1. Take one Shelby GT500
2. Add a Stig
3. Toss in a Nürburgring
4. Mix at high speed for 30 minutes
5. Sprinkle in extra points for hitting a Clarkson

Now THAT would be cool! Vehicle performance discussions seem to be soooo 1/4 mile centric that they virtually ignore all the other aspects of a cars performance envelope.

Sure, acceleration IS important -- gotto get the wagon moving in the first place -- but outside of a drag strip, then what? How's she steer, corner, brake, do all of the above at once...on a bumpy, reverse camber turn...for 150 miles...at night.

I'm certainly not talking about 10/10ths street racing -- that's foolish, save it for the track -- but about all-around competence for responsible performance driving in the real world. The ability to drive safely and enjoyably at, say, 6/10s on a road that would be a challenge to lesser cars at 4/10s is, I think, as or more important than bar-bragging numbers on some artificial strip/track.

Remember, in the long run, its not just how fast a car goes, but how well a car goes fast.
Old 6/13/06, 09:41 AM

Gentleman,

This is my first post, so I will try to remain courteous. Have the people who are compaining about the Shelby lost their minds? Ford is offering an honest 500 HP car, in a new and vastly better platform than has ever been offered in a Mustang....and on top of that, it is a better all around performer than most, if not all, of the ponies that have come before it. All of this for less than a 45K entry fee. Compared to what else is out there, this is a phenominal value. I know what an 05' mustang GT will do, since I owned one for about a year. No question, it is a great car. But, the shelby is in a league of it's own. I personally, will have one when I get home. And I have no complaints about price. I don't believe one should pay an exorbitant markup, but the dealer should make something off the deal. As should Ford. As should the salesman...remember he works to pay his bills just like all of us? For all of you who complain about what the GT 500 isn't or what it doesn't have...go buy something else. If you believe for the money, the vette is better, than go pick one up. I'll see you at the stoplight in March 2007 after my shelby has had a tune, exhaust, and smaller blower pulley. You can even bring your Z0-6.....I have a feeling you'll STILL be seeing my taillights!
Old 6/13/06, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Intl_Merc2006 Welcome to the forms and thanks for defending our country.

And I have no complaints about price. I don't believe one should pay an exorbitant markup, but the dealer should make something off the deal. As should Ford. As should the salesman...remember he works to pay his bills just like all of us? For all of you who complain about what the GT 500 isn't or what it doesn't have...go buy something else.
I think as a general rule, most people here love this car. Don't take a few comments about how we would like to see the car improved as a reason to buy something else. The other cars have things that could improve them too. At MSRP every one makes money, the biggest gripe is the Dealers charging over MSRP. They want to make a quick buck on one car instead of building customer and brand loyalty. Even at MSRP that is a lot of money but I feel it will be worth it. Good luck getting one, I have the money but can't find one for sale with out a mark up.

Getting back to topic, To me this is the best Mustang ever and I'm glad MM & FF proved it.
Old 6/13/06, 11:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Intl_Merc2006
Gentleman,

I'll see you at the stoplight in March 2007 after my shelby has had a tune, exhaust, and smaller blower pulley. You can even bring your Z0-6.....I have a feeling you'll STILL be seeing my taillights!
I highly doubt that. The Z06 is 800 lbs lighter and traps 125ish. I've seen stock C6 Z06 timeslips with the addition of BFG DR's running low 11s. It seems mid 11s are the norm on street tires with a decent driver.

I've also heard that adding a pulley won't be simple on the GT500 like the Terminators of the past. Can anyone confirm or deny this??
Old 6/13/06, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gentleman,

This is my first post, so I will try to remain courteous. Have the people who are compaining about the Shelby lost their minds? Ford is offering an honest 500 HP car, in a new and vastly better platform than has ever been offered in a Mustang....and on top of that, it is a better all around performer than most, if not all, of the ponies that have come before it. All of this for less than a 45K entry fee. Compared to what else is out there, this is a phenominal value. I know what an 05' mustang GT will do, since I owned one for about a year. No question, it is a great car. But, the shelby is in a league of it's own. I personally, will have one when I get home. And I have no complaints about price. I don't believe one should pay an exorbitant markup, but the dealer should make something off the deal. As should Ford. As should the salesman...remember he works to pay his bills just like all of us? For all of you who complain about what the GT 500 isn't or what it doesn't have...go buy something else. If you believe for the money, the vette is better, than go pick one up. I'll see you at the stoplight in March 2007 after my shelby has had a tune, exhaust, and smaller blower pulley. You can even bring your Z0-6.....I have a feeling you'll STILL be seeing my taillights!
First let me say thanks for what you are doing over in Iraq. Then let me say you need to get some info sent to you more recent. The Shelby isnt going to be had for 45k. They released the MSRP price of 45-46 recently for a coupe. However the ealers and salesman and Ford, who yes deserve to make some$$ IF they earned it, are charging a rape fee of 20K over MSRP!!! Personally I dont care about no IRS, the weight, and most of the other things some are not hapy with. I understand why they arent happy but for me it wasnt an issue. I wanted this car badly and for many years. And now it is finally here and they want to bend us over and stick it to us dry. The sales people selling cars mostly are morons. Note to readers:If you are offended because you are a salesperson sorry, but if you are a moronic one then to bad. You go to the dealerships and hardly anyone working there selling cars knows about the msutang at all nevermind the Shelby. And when you do find someone who thinks they know the Shelby it turns out its the Ford GT they are talking about. Ford has done a great job on this car IMO but they have absolutely dropped the ball and insulted die hard loyal customers. And for that they should be ashamed. Anyway, stay safe over there and I hope you egt the chance to get this car at an affordable price when you get back
Old 6/13/06, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I thought the MSRP for the coupe was around 41,000 or Shelby Coupe Base MSRP 40,930.00. The vert is the one that is going to be around 45 or 46 grand. I personally love this car and can accept the fact that is no Corvetter killer and that is a nose heavy car. However, my understanding from reading the reviews is that it takes turns, stops and accelerates extremely well considering the weight of this vehicle, if we start getting into aluminum blocks, lighter materials throughout the body and then we end up with a 50 to 55 thousand dollar Mustang, who is going to buy one of those? People are already complaining about a $40,000 Mustang.

This is not the end all, be all Mustang, but I guess since the Camaro and Firebird are no longer around, then the comparisons against the Corvette are inevitable.

Cheers to all.
Old 6/13/06, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Webba
The Shelby isnt going to be had for 45k. They released the MSRP price of 45-46 recently for a coupe.
You are correct and incorrect at the same time. The Shelby Coupe won't be had for $45,000.....it will be had for $41,000 plus whatever options you decide to add. Take a look here

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=47996

There is some current information for you. Where have you been?

And Intl Keep your head down. Been there, done that, be safe. I will have a beer for you tonight.
Old 6/13/06, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Gentleman,

This is my first post, so I will try to remain courteous. Have the people who are compaining about the Shelby lost their minds? Ford is offering an honest 500 HP car, in a new and vastly better platform than has ever been offered in a Mustang....and on top of that, it is a better all around performer than most, if not all, of the ponies that have come before it.
There is no denying the hp to dollar value here. But, there is FAR more to a car than its hp rating.

Actually, I think all performance cars should be measured by Nurburgring times. Then, you can truly see the benefit of light weight and IRS (as it is NOT smooth).

My perspective is no one can legitimately (or safely) use 500hp on the street. At that level, it is more about ego-stroking than anything else. Therefore, more attention should have been paid to the car as a whole to make a better all-around car.

Heck, they could have even boosted the AL 4.6, dropped some weight in other areas, put in the IRS they already developed so it can handle a bump mid-corner, actually painted on the stripes, set the car at an appropriate non-truck-like height, and done some real interior upgrades (like Recaros), and I would be MUCH happier with the car (even with the Evo-esque crappy hood). And all could probably have been had for the about the same price and would give roughly the same performance numbers, yet be much more fun to drive in ALL conditions, not just a strip.

Just becuase it is the "best Mustang ever" doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.

Ultimately, from my perspective, and how I use my vehicles, there are many more cars for $40k (let alone the reported $60k many of the intial cars will be goping for) I would rather have and that is why, I won't buy a GT500. Ever.

But, that is just me.
Old 6/13/06, 04:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I personally would have rather seen a 4.6L GT500. Ford could have used the Teksid block(1000 hp capable) from its parts bin. Basically install the 03-04 Cobra internals with FR500 heads w/ VVT. That would have easily been 500 hp and would have weighed much less(175lbs) in a high revving package. Ford could have easily ditched the "Shelby" name and save money on licensing if they cared about cost. I am sure that using the name SVT Cobra would have worked as well.

I think the Brembo braking system is top notch, so no need to do anything there. The suspension tuning also seems well engineered, even though I am an IRS fan. Again, both handling and braking would drastically improve if the car wasn't a boat. I can just imagine what Jeremy Clarkson will say in his review. Something like " Americans love their fast food and Ford has definetly put the GT500 on a strict Big Mac and Krispy Kreme diet". Of course he will knock the "Ox-Cart" suspension and build quality like in the Mustang and Vette tests.
Old 6/13/06, 04:47 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trublustang03
I think overall as at GT car, this is one car that is worth every 40,000 pennies, but no more.
Where can I get one for 40,000 pennies?! Sign me up!!
Old 6/13/06, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by TexaStang
I love my GT...but man. 12.2 @ 117 bone stock? Straight to ludicrous speed!

If I only had 42+ grand in the first place before markup, then the mod money...oohh boy the mod money. Throw on a KB and watch the fun begin.
I love your Space ***** quote. Strong!
Old 6/13/06, 04:57 PM

Gentleman,

Amen, brother!
Old 6/13/06, 04:57 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can even bring your Z0-6.....I have a feeling you'll STILL be seeing my taillights!
I think you may be overreaching with that statement.

As to the rest of your comments, I mostly agree. No one will deny this is the most capable Mustang in history, and overall the design definitely pulls at the heart-strings. But its performance as an all-round GT car is somewhat hampered by a combination of nose-heavy portliness and that solid rear axle. Again, great at the dragstrip, not so good on real world twisties. It's frankly pathetic that a STOCK Corvette C6 will trounce it. I was expecting a lot better. We shouldn't HAVE to mod our cars to get it to outperform a stock Vette, it should do so right out of the box.

So while I agree the car is worth every penny of $40K, no way is it worth more...especially $10 - 20K more.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, by the way!

Quick Reply: Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Doesn't Disappoint