Inside Line: Edmunds, "SVT Concept is History."

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/06, 10:56 PM
KBE
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C'mon admit it! It's obvious. Why do people here keep ignoring the inevitible?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Colum...icleId=109512#3
Old 3/8/06, 01:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well I think that that this is the most reputable proof we've had. This is really sad. Ford has made a lot of mistakes, but this one takes the cake.
Old 3/8/06, 01:48 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred0383 @ March 8, 2006, 12:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well I think that that this is the most reputable proof we've had. This is really sad. Ford has made a lot of mistakes, but this one takes the cake.
[/b][/quote]
Ford's survival depends upon building better bread & butter vehicles, not catering to the niche market, much as it pains me to say it. Once Ford gets back on track (if they can), there is always the possbility of bringing SVT back at a later date.

I suspect now that the new GT500 will have even MORE value. Not only is it the first Shelby Mustang in 36 years, it's also the LAST SVT product ever to be made.

To all of you, that's translates into another $10K AMV at the dealership. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 07:59 AM

While sad and regretable, I can't say I'm surprised at all. SVT and SVT products have been a slowly dissipating entity for a couple of years now. Fewer and fewer models and those remaining (GT500) have, IMO, been less and less of a reach above the standard version than in the past.

It's a shame because I think the broad model of a dedicated performance division is quite valid, just look at DC's SRT division to see how a properly executed one can flourish. I think the exit of Coletti and his generation, which really did infuse the SVT with the necessary spirit and can do attitude, really marked the beginning of the end.

HTT is certainly a good and capable company man, but just seemed to lack the full drive and vision of the earlier team. His ethos seemed that of a good business manager more comfortable behind a spread sheet and marketing plan than a grease-stained engineer like Coletti who seemed more comfortable tuning a chassis on a slalom or fussing with a timing map for the next run down the quarter.

While I used to look forward to SVT products in anticipation of being surprised by unsuspected engineering detail and content at such reasonable price points, the GT500 became an exercise in not becoming too disappointed by it dwindling specs and ballooning bottom line.

I would rather hope that Ford rethink the whole SVT concept more along the lines of the SRT division rather than throwing the whole performance car division baby out with the bathwater. But I suspect this ain't so and just represents yet another dimunition of the FoMoCo.
Old 3/8/06, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice one, Ford. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

i may have to cross lines.

Roger
Old 3/8/06, 09:55 AM

A huge and myopic mistake in my opinion.

Car nuts like us have a hugely disproportionate impact on the overall buying market's perceptions of a company's products. There is even some clever marketing term, but it escapes me. We're the one's people have potential car-buying friends and family talk to when trying to decide about cars -- "Ask Billy Bob, he knows all about cars and Fords..."

Keep us happy and impressed by a company in general and a company will be getting a 100:1 return on their ad and investment dollars over trying to woo over Joe "I would know a lugnut from a peanut" car buyer. Get us grumbling by shutting down our most interesting cars and divisions and we'll quickly communicate (Quickly? Get one of us car nuts rambling on over a beer or two and you can't shut us up!) or bad vibes and karma about that company. Then guess what, Joe Lugnut tells all his buddies that "Billy Bob wouldn't buy an ashtray from Ford, so don't even think about getting that new Ford Belchfire 500..."

This tactically clever -- in a myopic short-term balance-sheet sense -- but strategically disastrous move will only hasten Ford's quickly eroding consumer perception, especially when pitted against SC, who has executed their SRT program in a hugely successful manner and whole reap huge market perception benefits from the enormous enthusiast's spillover enthusiasm.

Sheesh, Ford really must be running low on bullets to shoot into their foot by this point. It just confirms my suspicion that to really screw up an auto company, but a bunch of MBA and marketing suits in charge who know everything about making money, memos and statistics but nothing about making cars.
Old 3/8/06, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

The new Challenger is looking better all the time. I bought a new orange 1971 R/T, i wish i still had it.
Old 3/8/06, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Why is it a big deal for FORD to drop SVT and streamline into FORD products? Makes business sense to me. The bottum line is if FORD makes a product that people want (Shelby for example) it's gonna sell. Just like Shelby's reasoning for the GT500 and GT350's nameing. ("how far are we sitting from that building over there? 500 feet? Ok, that's what we'll name it. It doesn't matter what we name the car, people will want to buy it regardless.") SVT or not, we'll buy it if it's appealing.
Old 3/8/06, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Route 66 @ March 8, 2006, 12:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Why is it a big deal for FORD to drop SVT and streamline into FORD products? Makes business sense to me. The bottum line is if FORD makes a product that people want (Shelby for example) it's gonna sell. Just like Shelby's reasoning for the GT500 and GT350's nameing. ("how far are we sitting from that building over there? 500 feet? Ok, that's what we'll name it. It doesn't matter what we name the car, people will want to buy it regardless.") SVT or not, we'll buy it if it's appealing.
[/b][/quote]

It's not just the removal of the svt division. such a move doesnt really imply that ford is serious about or dedicated to producing exciting, fast, desireable cars. srt is streamlined, and they make some awesome cars. however, you can see them everywhere, and they just arent as cool as seeing a svt cobra roar down the street. the svt division proved beyond a doubt that ford wanted to produce some truly awe-inspiring cars.
Old 3/8/06, 11:58 AM
V6 Member

Realistically, only those in the know will notice an SVT product. The others will just notice a "faster than blazes mustang" that really looks good. I remember when I had my Boss, my girlfriend kept referring to it as a "mustang". All my correcting her, she still did it....she also said that I was the "Boss". So I didn't push it.
Old 3/8/06, 12:11 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrGT @ March 8, 2006, 12:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
....she also said that I was the "Boss". So I didn't push it.
[/b][/quote]

Your girlfriend said you are the Boss? Wow! Marry that girl! That sure isn't how it works with my wife. I think I need to have "Yes, dear" tatooed on my forehead.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 01:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ March 8, 2006, 11:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A huge and myopic mistake in my opinion.

Car nuts like us have a hugely disproportionate impact on the overall buying market's perceptions of a company's products. There is even some clever marketing term, but it escapes me. We're the one's people have potential car-buying friends and family talk to when trying to decide about cars -- "Ask Billy Bob, he knows all about cars and Fords..."

[/b][/quote]

Enthusiasts like us have not had a big impact on Ford's sales because if we did, more people would be buying their products. It's easy to make critical remarks about changes like this, but it is apparent that these are cost cutting moves for survival.

Performance enthusiasts alone will not turn the tide of perception. More desirable products for the appropriate customer groups will. Ford Division is fortunate to have a reputation at least built on the F series trucks and Mustang. Now it needs more.

I am sad that the current SVT arrangment is changing. However, so long as we get hotter Mustangs over the next several years, even without the SVT branding and marketing, that becomes the bottom line for us. If Ford is more successful in North America as a result of the savings generated by this, then we will have other performance products in the future.

My armchair quarterback observation is that the V6 and GT Mustangs have been received so well and embraced by the aftermarket that it becomes increasingly harder to justify at this time the previous business model of having an SVT-branded Mustang, a special edition Mustang, and then GT and V6 Mustangs.
Old 3/8/06, 06:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Well...this could be blamed (thats too harsh of a word, but its the best one to use) on the aftermarket and the consumers...SVT offers mustang and focus performance and apperance modifications, but people buy stuff from places like Steeda, Saleen, and Roush instead of SVT. Yes, sometimes certain things are only offered by the aftermarket, but if your are an SVT fan, and you buy a front facia from Roush, its your own fault that SVT isnt getting the "funding" it needs.
Old 3/8/06, 06:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Well...this could be blamed (thats too harsh of a word, but its the best one to use) on the aftermarket and the consumers...SVT offers mustang and focus performance and apperance modifications, but people buy stuff from places like Steeda, Saleen, and Roush instead of SVT. Yes, sometimes certain things are only offered by the aftermarket, but if your are an SVT fan, and you buy a front facia from Roush, its your own fault that SVT isnt getting the "funding" it needs.
Old 3/8/06, 06:21 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Route 66 @ March 8, 2006, 12:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

The loss of SVT is a big deal.

Thanks to John Coletti and his team SVT got products to the market like the 99 Cobra and 03-04 Cobra that would never seen the light of day if they were under the main product groups. The bean counters would have axed those products before they ever saw production.

SVT also gave us the 03-04 Mach 1 which was cobbled together from old SVT parts. I doubt if the GT-500 would have ever made it to production without SVT.

For the next round of Ford performance cars, you can expect something akin to the 1970's Mustang II performance models, like the Mustang II GT-350 and Cobra that were nothing more than decals slapped on a regular II.

Don't belive me? Go check out the latest Mustang special edition, the 07 California Special. Just look at all the high performance hardware the regular Mustang team bolted onto the 07 GT/CS:
2 tone seat leather
heated seats
Home Link
Compass in rear view mirror
Non Functional Hood Scoop
Non functional side scoops
Stick on tape stripes on the side
New front bumper cover.
Engine cover

Man, that new Mustang model just screams performance!
Old 3/8/06, 09:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(codeman94 @ March 8, 2006, 8:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
This is what I think is happening with SVT. I think it is being restructured to save cost of the extra engineering and other staff. They are being combined with Ford's aftermarket company (FRPP) and becoming Ford Performance. I think this will help promote Ford "aftermarket" products. They are already offering packages for the GT and V6.
Old 3/8/06, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V10 @ March 8, 2006, 8:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The loss of SVT is a big deal.

Thanks to John Coletti and his team SVT got products to the market like the 99 Cobra and 03-04 Cobra that would never seen the light of day if they were under the main product groups. The bean counters would have axed those products before they ever saw production.

SVT also gave us the 03-04 Mach 1 which was cobbled together from old SVT parts. I doubt if the GT-500 would have ever made it to production without SVT.

For the next round of Ford performance cars, you can expect something akin to the 1970's Mustang II performance models, like the Mustang II GT-350 and Cobra that were nothing more than decals slapped on a regular II.

Don't belive me? Go check out the latest Mustang special edition, the 07 California Special. Just look at all the high performance hardware the regular Mustang team bolted onto the 07 GT/CS:
2 tone seat leather
heated seats
Home Link
Compass in rear view mirror
Non Functional Hood Scoop
Non functional side scoops
Stick on tape stripes on the side
New front bumper cover.
Engine cover

Man, that new Mustang model just screams performance!
[/b][/quote]

Exactly!!! In this months MotorTrend it is also stated that there will be no additional SE versions of the Mustang. No Mach 1 or Bullitt, the only two SE's that are going to be released are the GT500 and the Boss. After that you can expect nothing but sticker kit specials. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Way to go Ford!!! Making your enthusiast customer base mad will surely help to increase sales [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

In addition to that they make it so that their dealers will only get 2 - 3 GT500's which will make it available to only those stupid enough to pay the markups or to those that can afford it. The rest of us average joe's who can't afford to pay 10g's over MSRP can only dream of buying a GT500. Nice, make a killer Mustang and then don't produce enough of them so that the people who want them can buy one!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 3/8/06, 10:13 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
It is not just Edmunds, it is all the hints we had in the past year or so. Consider some addition points:

- SVTOA will have a new name as of 07-01-06. This has been posted for a long time. There are no frequent negative posts there or they have 24/7 Mods doing some heavy duty monitoring.
- Every SVT model I can remember had the SVT emblems and the proud designers were usually paraded with their product, with the exception of the Shelby GT500.
- The rumor of 18 months ago, which did not make sense, about all dealers being made eligible for all "SVT products".
- The silence of prominent SVT employees or ex employees regarding SVT. It can be called loyalty, I call it probable frequent court appearances.

Ford Racing and Ford Racing Performance Parts "are taking the lead in continuing the company's efforts to enhance the Ford ownership experience -- not only for owners of SVT vehicles, but for owners of all performance Fords of any vintage. Although specific details are still being worked out, Ford Racing is so confident that the new, expanded club will appeal to Ford enthusiasts that we are extending all SVTOA memberships for 2006."

The planning has been going on for a long time. We were either too naive to accept it or too ignorant to understand it.

My beloved SVT IS DEAD.
Old 3/9/06, 12:28 AM
Cobra Member

I think this is just another indication the passion is gone from Ford. And that may slowly bring down the rest of the company as well. If they try to compete with the competition in building appliance cars, they will loose. Period. The only thing Ford has going for it is delivering passionate cars people want to drive. The retro craze proves this. Ford went back to a passionate, nostalgic time for inspiration to building cars, and people responded. But, not just bringing a meaningless nameplate back (like the T-Bird), but the spirt as well (like the GT and Mustang).

Let's not overlook how the SVT cars soldother Fords as well. People would come in to look, test drive, and if they couldn't afford it, at least they could get a lower Mustang, or something else.

Now, what is going to bring a performance-minded person into a Ford dealership? A GT-500? Doubt it now that everyone things dealer markup will keep it far from their reach for a couple years. And if that doesn't fit their needs what are they going to buy off the lot?

Especially with what DCX is doing with SRT. Bringing the Challenger into the equation just helps with the coupe market. Not only by Challenger sales, but also Charger and 300C sales as well. Come in for the Chally, get convinced by the wife/salesman you need four doors -- still have the best of both worlds. Ford just can't compete with this. What are they going to upsell to? A 500? A crown vic? Not likely.

Another thing with Ford that irritates me is what they are doing to Lincoln. Look at the cool cars in it's past, and the reputation it had for luxury, and all the can do is badge-engineer other Fords? Why must they ruin the Lincoln brand? GM has proven many times over how ineffective and damaging badge engineering is. Using similar components is effective, but only if they look like different cars (look at Nissan and DCX for perfect examples). Lincolns are supposed to be big, luxurious and ostentatious in their American style. How are the recent cars any of those?

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but it just goes to illustrate how the passion seems to have completely left Ford. And that was their biggest asset.

Quick Reply: Inside Line: Edmunds, "SVT Concept is History."