Got a call from the local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/06, 07:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I come home yesterday, and have a message on my machine. Its from the SVT guy at the local dealer. He tells me he finally has info on the new Cobra [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Just what I've been waiting for. I can't wait to call him back on monday to get the 'scoop'. Probably going to tell me I need to give a big $$$ deposit to get one of two they are getting.

I was kicking around the idea of an ///M3 for a while, but now I'm not sure I even want a new car at this point. I drive 750-900 miles a week to work. The last thing I want to do on the weekend is get in a car.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 08:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My original dealer is pulling the same crap. Thankfully, I have a backup plan in place. I'll be telling the first dealership to take their AMV and stick it. The best part is, I will be buying a new F150 and a new Expedition in the next 5 years as well as the GT500. I guess they don't car about that repeat customer stuff.

If I can't get ahold of a GT500 (don't think it will be a problem, really) I am considering an M3 or C6 or even a Z06. The Z06 would be stretching the old budget a bit, but, boy would it be worth it. I just have to decide which child doesn't get to go to college.
Old 2/12/06, 08:12 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Be rude. Every time he starts a topic interrupt him and add the details. That will get his attention and give you control.

When I visit my local dealer nobody wants to give me any news anymore. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ February 12, 2006, 9:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Be rude. Every time he starts a topic interrupt him and add the details. That will get his attention and give you control.

When I visit my local dealer nobody wants to give me any news anymore. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Maybe it's because you keep interrupting them!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 06:31 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ February 12, 2006, 10:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

LOL, I'll try that George. We'll see how it goes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 06:43 PM

Hey, it works every time.
Those Ford dealers, they just love me to death! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yup.gif[/img]

Old 2/13/06, 07:55 AM
GTR Member

Ok, here's the 'scoop'. its $20K over sticker. A min $15K down payment is required, and they're making under 5K units.

I asked his justification for the markup. Two Words: Barrett-Jackson.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I said, thanks, but I'm going to pass, and I'll be getting an M3 for that price. I wonder how long before he calls back?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was something like 15th on 'the list'.
Old 2/13/06, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ February 13, 2006, 8:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, here's the 'scoop'. its $20K over sticker. A min $15K down payment is required, and they're making under 5K units.

I said, thanks, but I'm going to pass, and I'll be getting an M3 for that price. I wonder how long before he calls back?

[/b][/quote]

Wha? You didn't have the heart to tell him that they will be making 10K+ units/year? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 08:42 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I would have told him it's already been verified between 10K-14K per year. Some poor moron is going to pay that insane price and be upset when he sees them everywhere.
Old 2/13/06, 09:03 AM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crispy23c @ February 13, 2006, 10:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wha? You didn't have the heart to tell him that they will be making 10K+ units/year? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I did, but he said that number has been changed to 5K units.....whatever.
Old 2/13/06, 09:24 AM
GT Member

The 2000 Cobra R was sold for sticker 3 months after the cars hit the streets. I'm first on the local dealers list and they have changed their tune as well and want a markup. I told the dealer to call me when he's ready to sell on X plan. I have nothing but time and won't submit to overpaying for a car, no matter what the production or rarity is.
Old 2/13/06, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ February 13, 2006, 8:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

If you are considering an M3 or a GT500, go for the M3. You will be much happier with the quality of the car as well as the performance.
Old 2/13/06, 10:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KGSGT350 @ February 13, 2006, 11:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If you are considering an M3 or a GT500, go for the M3. You will be much happier with the quality of the car as well as the performance.
[/b][/quote]
quality I could see. Performance, I'm not so sure. I have driven the current M3. While it is a nice car and handles on rails, it just doesn't feel the same as a big V8 when you stomp on it. If it gets the rumored V8, that may be a diff story.
Old 2/13/06, 01:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr-mstng @ February 13, 2006, 9:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... Oh yeah, I was something like 15th on 'the list'.
[/b][/quote]
Wow! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/jaw.gif[/img]

That dealer has 15 allocations... out of 5,000???!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/jaw.gif[/img]

Old 2/13/06, 01:27 PM
Cam Tease

Haha, "Uhh...well, we are a very important dealership you know..."

About the M3, it has been verified that the new one will get a 420+ V8 derived from the M5's V10. It won't have the torque or potential of the Cobra, but I'll bet the M will be light enough to make up for a lot of that disadvantage--not to mention it will likely be superior in almost every other perfomance and subjective aspect.

Though, it won't be half as bad***.
Old 2/13/06, 01:33 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

I dunno I raced a kid in a new M3 on the highway and he couldn't keep up, always 1-2 car lengths behind. Maybe he was just a noob.
Old 2/13/06, 03:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

The current M3 is rated at 333hp, but, only 262 lb/ft of torque. Don't get me wrong, they are fast and they are fun to drive. I just like the rush of a V8 when you stompp on it. I don't road race or even spend weekends at the track. To me the handling advantage the M3 offers is way outdone by the brutish power of the Mustang. The M3 even sounds cool at WOT, but, not as cool as even the Mustang GT. The Shelby is gonna sound ogasmic at WOT.
Old 2/13/06, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stupid.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 04:54 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ February 13, 2006, 5:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... The Shelby is gonna sound ogasmic at WOT.
[/b][/quote]
Don't count the chickens before they hatch just yet. Remember Ford has to meet EPA standards which usually leads to a very restricted and passive exhaust.

If Ford follows the '03/'04 pattern the GT500 will definitely need Borlas or some other after market catback as well. On the other hand, if Ford uses the '05/'06 GT as a blue print and provides a notable, deserving catback then it should be OK.

Just in case my hunch is right, I'll set aside enough for a catback.
Old 2/13/06, 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ February 13, 2006, 6:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don't count the chickens before they hatch just yet. Remember Ford has to meet EPA standards which usually leads to a very restricted and passive exhaust.

If Ford follows the '03/'04 pattern the GT500 will definitely need Borlas or some other after market catback as well. On the other hand, if Ford uses the '05/'06 GT as a blue print and provides a notable, deserving catback then it should be OK.

Just in case my hunch is right, I'll set aside enough for a catback.
[/b][/quote]
I'll likely put something on it also. IT may not need it. It is coming with a factory X-pipe. Might just need some mufflers.

Quick Reply: Got a call from the local dealer